mail server setup
Juan Hernandez
2016-01-06 19:49:37 UTC
Hi All,

I wanted to setup my own mail server for my domains.

I wanted to know what you guys recommended for setups?

I need webmail, imap, virtual domains, spam/antivirus protection, etc.

I was reading a site, and I came across citadel groupware and liked its features. Have any of you ever set it up?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Juan
Littlefield, Tyler
2016-01-06 19:53:39 UTC
Hey!
Post by Juan Hernandez
Hi All,
I wanted to setup my own mail server for my domains.
This is a really nice idea, but it can take a lot of work.
Post by Juan Hernandez
I wanted to know what you guys recommended for setups?
I need webmail, imap, virtual domains, spam/antivirus protection, etc.
I use postfix for the MTA, it uses dovecot for SASL. I use amavis-new
to check inbound and outbound mails for spam/antivirus and that uses
clamavd and spamassassin. For webmail, you could use squirrel mail or
roundcube (not sure of how accessible the latter is).
Post by Juan Hernandez
I was reading a site, and I came across citadel groupware and liked
its features. Have any of you ever set it up?
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Juan
- --
Take care,
Ty
Twitter: @sorressean
Web: https://tysdomain.com
Pubkey: https://tysdomain.com/files/pubkey.asc
John G Heim
2016-01-06 20:08:09 UTC
Yeah, Tyler's list is pretty much the standard.

1. postfix for smtp
2. dovecot for imap
3. spamassassin, amavis and clamav for spam and virus filtering
I am not sure there is as much of a standard choice for web mail. We use
something called horde. It is really fully featured but it took me a
heckuva long time to set up originally.
Michał Zegan
2016-01-06 20:33:33 UTC
Exim is another nice, more powerful and more complicated alternative to
postfix, and does not need amavis for both spam/antivirus, although it
uses spamassassin/clamav normally. It can also interface with dovecot.
Littlefield, Tyler
2016-01-06 20:39:17 UTC
Post by Michał Zegan
Exim is another nice, more powerful and more complicated
alternative to postfix, and does not need amavis for both
spam/antivirus, although it uses spamassassin/clamav normally. It
can also interface with dovecot.
I don't know if I'd say more powerful. I have yet to find something
Postfix can't do and it follows the unix-like philosophy to chain
tools together that are good at their own tasks, thus spamassassin,
clamav, etc. When I used exim it seemed overly complex; I achieved the
same setup with much greater ease with Postfix. There's also Sendmail
on FreeBSD (which I think Juan is using), but that's really messy and
not super flexable. I want to try out OpenBSD's OpenSMTPD, but I have
yet to have the time.

HTH,
Post by John G Heim
Michał Zegan
2016-01-06 20:43:21 UTC
exim is very flexible, still easier than sendmail. postfix is nice, but
well... can you integrate spamassassin with postfix/amavist in such a
way that if a message is a spam, the only thing that happens to it is
that one header is added, but the rest of the message is unchanged?
Post by John G Heim
John G Heim
2016-01-06 21:31:48 UTC
Are you askin if you can keep spamassassin from adding the huge spam
report header? Or are you asking if you can keep it from rewriting the
subject line? Eitherway, those are spamassassin configuration settings,
not postfix or exim.

In the debian postfix package, the local.cf file for spamassassin comes
with default settings for both rewriting the subject line and omitting
the spam report header. There are comments in the file to explain what
they do. Mine are like this:

# Comment out this line to make spamassassin leave subject line alone
# rewrite_header Subject *****SPAM*****
# Don't mime attach the original message -- just leave it alone.
# change to 1 for the old behavior
report_safe 0
# omit the huge spam report header
#remove_header spam Report
Post by John G Heim
Michał Zegan
2016-01-06 21:43:00 UTC
More like: leave message intact, but add something like
x-spam-status: yes
x-spam-core: 5.0
into mail headers.
Post by John G Heim
Gregory Nowak
2016-01-07 02:27:14 UTC
Post by Juan Hernandez
I wanted to know what you guys recommended for setups?
I need webmail, imap, virtual domains, spam/antivirus protection, etc.
For webmail, I use sqwebmail. For imap, I use courier-imap. For MTA
(including virtual domains) I use postfix. For spam, I use
spamassassin. For antivirus I use clamav-milter to interface clamav to postfix.
Post by Juan Hernandez
More like: leave message intact, but add something like
x-spam-status: yes
x-spam-core: 5.0
into mail headers.
That's done by spamc, which you can invoke through maildrop, or
procmail. I use maildrop on my server, so I'll describe how to use
that to do what you want.

You need to have postfix pass the message to maildrop. You can either
do this directly in master.cf, or through the .forward mechanism. I
use both, depending on which domain the mail is for. I'll explain how
to do that through .forward, since that's simpler

In the user's $HOME/.forward file, you want to have something like:

|/usr/bin/maildrop

Now, you want to create a $HOME/.mailfilter file, which should look
something like:

DEFAULT="$HOME/Maildir/"

xfilter "/usr/bin/spamc"
if (/^X-Spam-Flag: YES/:h || /^X-Spam-Status: Yes/:h)
{
to "$DEFAULT/.Spam/"
}

If the message is ham, it goes to $HOME/Maildir/. If the message is
spam, it goes to $HOME/Maildir/.Spam/ This assumes you are using the
Maildir mailbox format, which I am.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Kelly Prescott
2016-01-07 10:45:53 UTC
This is a good solution, but if you want essentially the same thing with
easy gui management and zero cost, use zimbra community edition.
I use both types of solutions depending on my clients needs and
requirements.
kp
Juan Hernandez
2016-01-07 16:07:06 UTC
What do you mean same thing? Same as what? What in the below message has a cost?

Thanks.

Juan Hernandez
Email: ***@gmail.com
mobile: (619) 750-9431
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/blindwiz
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/blindwiz
web: http://www.juanhernandez.meJuan Hernandez
4

Post by Juan Hernandez
More like: leave message intact, but add something like
x-spam-status: yes
x-spam-core: 5.0
into mail headers.
That's done by spamc, which you can invoke through maildrop, or
procmail. I use maildrop on my server, so I'll describe how to use
that to do what you want.
You need to have postfix pass the message to maildrop. You can either
do this directly in master.cf, or through the .forward mechanism. I
use both, depending on which domain the mail is for. I'll explain how
to do that through .forward, since that's simpler
|/usr/bin/maildrop
Now, you want to create a $HOME/.mailfilter file, which should look
DEFAULT="$HOME/Maildir/"
xfilter "/usr/bin/spamc"
if (/^X-Spam-Flag: YES/:h || /^X-Spam-Status: Yes/:h) { to
"$DEFAULT/.Spam/"
}
If the message is ham, it goes to $HOME/Maildir/. If the message is
spam, it goes to $HOME/Maildir/.Spam/ This assumes you are using the
Maildir mailbox format, which I am.
Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1
(authorization required, add me to your contacts list first) If we
haven't been in touch before, e-mail me before adding me to your contacts.
Kelly Prescott
2016-01-07 22:36:38 UTC
I was not specific, I was just saying that the Zimbra community edition also has a 0 cost.
Thus if cost were your concern, it would be a solution you might consider.

Juan Hernandez
2016-01-07 23:20:38 UTC
Apologies. I misunderstood. Thanks for that. I didn't know zimbra had a community edition. I will look into it.

Best,

Brian Buhrow
2016-01-06 20:56:58 UTC
Hello. I'd recommend Postfix as well. It's the follow-on to
sendmail, which was the original gold standard for MTA engines. Sendmail,
which I use on a daily basis, is incredibly powerful and flexible, but it
has a very very steep learning curve which is not required learning for a
system that will only service a few domains.

-thanks
-Brian
On Jan 6, 8:39pm, "Littlefield, Tyler" wrote:
} LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkVEIE1FU1NBR0UtLS0tLQpIYXNoOiBTSEExCgpPbiAxLzYvMjAx
} NiAzOjMzIFBNLCBNaWNoYcWCIFplZ2FuIHdyb3RlOgo+IEV4aW0gaXMgYW5vdGhlciBuaWNlLCBt
} b3JlIHBvd2VyZnVsIGFuZCBtb3JlIGNvbXBsaWNhdGVkCj4gYWx0ZXJuYXRpdmUgdG8gcG9zdGZp
} eCwgYW5kIGRvZXMgbm90IG5lZWQgYW1hdmlzIGZvciBib3RoCj4gc3BhbS9hbnRpdmlydXMsIGFs
} dGhvdWdoIGl0IHVzZXMgc3BhbWFzc2Fzc2luL2NsYW1hdiBub3JtYWxseS4gSXQKPiBjYW4gYWxz
} byBpbnRlcmZhY2Ugd2l0aCBkb3ZlY290Lgo+IAoKSSBkb24ndCBrbm93IGlmIEknZCBzYXkgbW9y
} ZSBwb3dlcmZ1bC4gSSBoYXZlIHlldCB0byBmaW5kIHNvbWV0aGluZwpQb3N0Zml4IGNhbid0IGRv
} IGFuZCBpdCBmb2xsb3dzIHRoZSB1bml4LWxpa2UgcGhpbG9zb3BoeSB0byBjaGFpbgp0b29scyB0
} b2dldGhlciB0aGF0IGFyZSBnb29kIGF0IHRoZWlyIG93biB0YXNrcywgdGh1cyBzcGFtYXNzYXNz
} aW4sCmNsYW1hdiwgZXRjLiBXaGVuIEkgdXNlZCBleGltIGl0IHNlZW1lZCBvdmVybHkgY29tcGxl
} eDsgSSBhY2hpZXZlZCB0aGUKc2FtZSBzZXR1cCB3aXRoIG11Y2ggZ3JlYXRlciBlYXNlIHdpdGgg
} UG9zdGZpeC4gVGhlcmUncyBhbHNvIFNlbmRtYWlsCm9uIEZyZWVCU0QgKHdoaWNoIEkgdGhpbmsg
} SnVhbiBpcyB1c2luZyksIGJ1dCB0aGF0J3MgcmVhbGx5IG1lc3N5IGFuZApub3Qgc3VwZXIgZmxl
} eGFibGUuIEkgd2FudCB0byB0cnkgb3V0IE9wZW5CU0QncyBPcGVuU01UUEQsIGJ1dCBJIGhhdmUK
} eWV0IHRvIGhhdmUgdGhlIHRpbWUuCgpIVEgsCj4gVyBkbml1IDA2LjAxLjIwMTYgbyAyMTowOCwg
} Sm9obiBHIEhlaW0gcGlzemU6Cj4+IFllYWgsIFR5bGVyJ3MgbGlzdCBpcyBwcmV0dHkgbXVjaCB0
} aGUgc3RhbmRhcmQuCj4+IAo+PiAxLiAgcG9zdGZpeCBmb3Igc210cCAyLiBkb3ZlY290IGZvciBp
} bWFwIDMuIHNwYW1hc3Nhc3NpbiwgYW1hdmlzCj4+IGFuZCBjbGFtYXYgZm9yIHNwYW0gYW5kIHZp
} cnVzIGZpbHRlcmluZyBJIGFtIG5vdCBzdXJlIHRoZXJlIGlzIGFzCj4+IG11Y2ggb2YgYSBzdGFu
} ZGFyZCBjaG9pY2UgZm9yIHdlYiBtYWlsLiBXZSB1c2Ugc29tZXRoaW5nIGNhbGxlZAo+PiBob3Jk
} ZS4gSXQgaXMgcmVhbGx5IGZ1bGx5IGZlYXR1cmVkIGJ1dCBpdCB0b29rIG1lIGEgaGVja3V2YSBs
} b25nCj4+IHRpbWUgdG8gc2V0IHVwIG9yaWdpbmFsbHkuCj4+IAo+PiAKPj4gT24gMDEvMDYvMjAx
} NiAwMTo1MyBQTSwgTGl0dGxlZmllbGQsIFR5bGVyIHdyb3RlOgo+IEhleSEgT24gMS82LzIwMTYg
} Mjo0OSBQTSwgSnVhbiBIZXJuYW5kZXogd3JvdGU6Cj4+Pj4+IEhpIEFsbCwKPj4+Pj4gCj4+Pj4+
} IEkgd2FudGVkIHRvIHNldHVwIG15IG93biBtYWlsIHNlcnZlciBmb3IgbXkgZG9tYWlucy4KPj4+
} Pj4gCj4gVGhpcyBpcyBhIHJlYWxseSBuaWNlIGlkZWEsIGJ1dCBpdCBjYW4gdGFrZSBhIGxvdCBv
} ZiB3b3JrLgo+IAo+Pj4+PiBJIHdhbnRlZCB0byBrbm93IHdoYXQgeW91IGd1eXMgcmVjb21tZW5k
} ZWQgZm9yIHNldHVwcz8KPj4+Pj4gCj4+Pj4+IEkgbmVlZCB3ZWJtYWlsLCBpbWFwLCB2aXJ0dWFs
} IGRvbWFpbnMsIHNwYW0vYW50aXZpcnVzCj4+Pj4+IHByb3RlY3Rpb24sIGV0Yy4KPj4+Pj4gCj4g
} SSB1c2UgcG9zdGZpeCBmb3IgdGhlIE1UQSwgaXQgdXNlcyBkb3ZlY290IGZvciBTQVNMLiBJIHVz
} ZQo+IGFtYXZpcy1uZXcgdG8gY2hlY2sgaW5ib3VuZCBhbmQgb3V0Ym91bmQgbWFpbHMgZm9yIHNw
} YW0vYW50aXZpcnVzCj4gYW5kIHRoYXQgdXNlcyBjbGFtYXZkIGFuZCBzcGFtYXNzYXNzaW4uIEZv
} ciB3ZWJtYWlsLCB5b3UgY291bGQgdXNlCj4gc3F1aXJyZWwgbWFpbCBvciByb3VuZGN1YmUgKG5v
} dCBzdXJlIG9mIGhvdyBhY2Nlc3NpYmxlIHRoZSBsYXR0ZXIKPiBpcykuCj4gCj4+Pj4+IEkgd2Fz
} IHJlYWRpbmcgYSBzaXRlLCBhbmQgSSBjYW1lIGFjcm9zcyBjaXRhZGVsIGdyb3Vwd2FyZQo+Pj4+
} PiBhbmQgbGlrZWQgaXRzIGZlYXR1cmVzLiAgSGF2ZSBhbnkgb2YgeW91IGV2ZXIgc2V0IGl0IHVw
} Pwo+Pj4+PiAKPj4+Pj4gQW55IGFkdmlzZSB3aWxsIGJlIGdyZWF0bHkgYXBwcmVjaWF0ZWQuCj4+
} Pj4+IAo+Pj4+PiBCZXN0LAo+Pj4+PiAKPj4+Pj4gSnVhbgo+Pj4+PiAKPj4+Pj4gCj4+Pj4+IF9f
} X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fIFNwZWFrdXAKPj4+
} Pj4gbWFpbGluZyBsaXN0IFNwZWFrdXBAbGludXgtc3BlYWt1cC5vcmcgCj4+Pj4+IGh0dHA6Ly9s
} aW51eC1zcGVha3VwLm9yZy9jZ2ktYmluL21haWxtYW4vbGlzdGluZm8vc3BlYWt1cAo+Pj4+PiAK
} PiAKPiAtLSBUYWtlIGNhcmUsIFR5IFR3aXR0ZXI6IEBzb3JyZXNzZWFuIFdlYjogaHR0cHM6Ly90
} eXNkb21haW4uY29tIAo+IFB1YmtleTogaHR0cHM6Ly90eXNkb21haW4uY29tL2ZpbGVzL3B1Ymtl
} eS5hc2MKPj4+IF9fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19f
} IFNwZWFrdXAgbWFpbGluZwo+Pj4gbGlzdCBTcGVha3VwQGxpbnV4LXNwZWFrdXAub3JnIAo+Pj4g
} aHR0cDovL2xpbnV4LXNwZWFrdXAub3JnL2NnaS1iaW4vbWFpbG1hbi9saXN0aW5mby9zcGVha3Vw
} Cj4+IAo+PiBfX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fXyBT
} cGVha3VwIG1haWxpbmcKPj4gbGlzdCBTcGVha3VwQGxpbnV4LXNwZWFrdXAub3JnIAo+PiBodHRw
} Oi8vbGludXgtc3BlYWt1cC5vcmcvY2dpLWJpbi9tYWlsbWFuL2xpc3RpbmZvL3NwZWFrdXAKPiAK
} PiBfX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fXyBTcGVha3Vw
} IG1haWxpbmcKPiBsaXN0IFNwZWFrdXBAbGludXgtc3BlYWt1cC5vcmcgCj4gaHR0cDovL2xpbnV4
} LXNwZWFrdXAub3JnL2NnaS1iaW4vbWFpbG1hbi9saXN0aW5mby9zcGVha3VwCgotIC0tIApUYWtl
} IGNhcmUsClR5ClR3aXR0ZXI6IEBzb3JyZXNzZWFuCldlYjogaHR0cHM6Ly90eXNkb21haW4uY29t
} ClB1YmtleTogaHR0cHM6Ly90eXNkb21haW4uY29tL2ZpbGVzL3B1YmtleS5hc2MKLS0tLS1CRUdJ
} TiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0KVmVyc2lvbjogR251UEcgdjIKCmlRRWNCQUVCQWdBR0JRSldq
} WHVhQUFvSkVBZFA2MCtCWXhlakNkOEgvM2dPR3hCTHIzYyszeExzOXo5ZFN5UEcKa1NlRUx0eDZh
} SVd4Z21iTlhORmRnMGVlaVZ2c2ZSdFMrTTVFeWx1ZExoR2kxZ3I5QVIzNVpTdnJ0SHNDVHBtRwpW
} bnJzQWJaSHhnVnpjYXlpRGlJcVRIS0JNQ0FPclc3TFgvOXFVNkpPbERHZS9IaFdrRnB5RzF4UkVt
} Z3I1U1FpClU3U0RPWDYwTFhFTXJTclB6VDBUY0laSlJ3WGErUDB2clZnV2c2OUxwa3FaSHdJUVBt
} TVB0Y1c1VlYvUE9xSVcKeFFTMERvMkE0ckVOWTVsdDE4UlF1LzBFcmZieEg0bHhiRXJEcVREenN2
} aHlRcVluVVR0b0lBKzVnRnFXL1BLaQpsS1ZBazhuZ2locUR5LzdHdG4rNXB5NkgwWU5DbDJtTngx
} aHV3blVQczJTbHNRKzFtd2ZrYUk3R21HOGZQODA9Cj11Z0tUCi0tLS0tRU5EIFBHUCBTSUdOQVRV
} UkUtLS0tLQoKX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX18K
} U3BlYWt1cCBtYWlsaW5nIGxpc3QKU3BlYWt1cEBsaW51eC1zcGVha3VwLm9yZwpodHRwOi8vbGlu
} dXgtc3BlYWt1cC5vcmcvY2dpLWJpbi9tYWlsbWFuL2xpc3RpbmZvL3NwZWFrdXAK
-- End of excerpt from "Littlefield, Tyler"
Tony Baechler
2016-01-07 10:21:31 UTC
Post by Juan Hernandez
I wanted to know what you guys recommended for setups?
I need webmail, imap, virtual domains, spam/antivirus protection, etc.
If you're running Debian or Ubuntu, I recommend I-MSCP. It's a web-based
control panel which lets you add mail users, manage domains, etc similar to
a web hosting company. We're hosting several domains with lots of email
addresses and never had a problem. The installer is very accessible. The
web interface leaves a little to be desired, but works fine in Firefox and
Lynx. It uses Postfix and automatically downloads and installs packages, so
it's best ran on a minimal system. The control panel is isolated from
Apache, so if your web server goes down, your control panel should stay up.
You can customize some aspects of what it installs. http://i-mscp.net/
There is also Virtualmin which is part of Webmin, but I don't recommend it.
Webmin lets you customize most major mail servers with a web-based
configuration, but I think it has too much bloat and isn't as accessible.
Virtualmin is similar to a control panel, but again, much harder to use and
less accessible. http://www.webmin.com/ Having used Postfix, Exim and
Qmail, I like Postfix and Qmail best. I found Exim harder to configure, but
the Debian packages automate much of it for you.
Post by Juan Hernandez
I was reading a site, and I came across citadel groupware and liked its features. Have any of you ever set it up?
Yes and I don't recommend it. It's not at all accessible with Lynx. I
don't remember if I tried it in Firefox, but I remember it was too
complicated and I didn't like it. If you want a similar feature set which
is very accessible, try Synchronet. It was a dial-up BBS package as was
Citadel, but is now telnet and web-based. It's natively built for Windows
but runs on Linux and FreeBSD. http://synchro.net/
Juan Hernandez
2016-01-07 16:12:45 UTC
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your info. Might I take a little more time of yours and talk about the i-mscp package? I had some more questions.

We can talk over the phone, or go on irc, or what ever method of communication you pref e r.

Thank you.

2016-01-08 10:49:20 UTC
Please see my contact information in my signature. I generally charge for
phone, so I suggest email. I am not an expert with I-MSCP. After looking
at several different control panels, it seemed to be the only one which is
truly free and open source, didn't try to sell you extra stuff like Webmin
and is updated fairly often. It worked great on a minimal Ubuntu 14.04
system and should support Debian, but not RHEL or Fedora. I don't like
RPM-based systems and most control panels seem to require them, so I
especially wanted something designed for Debian. Webmin runs on Debian but
the .deb packages are not put together very well in my opinion and don't
follow standard Debian packaging guidelines. Feel free to contact me with
any of the methods in my signature.
Post by Juan Hernandez
I was reading a site, and I came across citadel groupware and liked its features. Have any of you ever set it up?
Yes and I don't recommend it. It's not at all accessible with Lynx. I don't remember if I tried it in Firefox, but I remember it was too complicated and I didn't like it. If you want a similar feature set which is very accessible, try Synchronet. It was a dial-up BBS package as was Citadel, but is now telnet and web-based. It's natively built for Windows but runs on Linux and FreeBSD. http://synchro.net/ _______________________________________________
Speakup mailing list
Tony Baechler, founder, Baechler Access Technology Services
Putting accessibility at the forefront of technology
mailto:***@batsupport.com
Phone: 1-619-746-8310 SMS text: 1-619-375-2545
Juan Hernandez
2016-01-07 23:21:48 UTC
I have a question about i-mscp.

DCan i-mscp manage multiple servers? I want my mail on its own server, the webserver on another, etc etc. can i-mscp manage this? Or do I need to have i-mscp installed on each server?

Tony Baechler
2016-01-08 10:44:02 UTC
Post by Juan Hernandez
DCan i-mscp manage multiple servers? I want my mail on its own server, the webserver on another, etc etc. can i-mscp manage this? Or do I need to have i-mscp installed on each server?
I have no idea. We just run everything on one server. I know it lets you
have a separate server for MySQL. I suggest checking the web site. It's
called multiserver, so one would think so, but I really have no idea.
Janina Sajka
2016-01-09 20:48:06 UTC
Post by Juan Hernandez
I need webmail, imap, virtual domains, spam/antivirus protection, etc.
Let's take them one at a time ...

webmail
This one is easy. Go with squirrelmail .

imap
Another easy one, dovecot .

virtual domains
Any mta worth its salt will give you this. It's pretty trivial, e.g. in
sendmail you simply add domains into a config file, one per line. If
need be, you can get more elaborate, e.g. direct mail addressed to
***@b.c. to ***@e.f. It's all very doable.

spam/antivirus protection
This one is more complicated, and more important. I'm sure you're not
interested in becoming an open relay for every spammer on the planet?
So:

Antivirus -- You probably only care if you have users on Windows.
clamav is my choice for this, though mine is curently broken--I don't
have windows clients.

anti-spam -- much of this depends on a good mta configuration. Today's
mta's, you'll probably select either sendmail or procmail, set you up
by default with a pretty good configuration. You'll want to carefully
read your way through the config file to understand what's going on.
This is the starting point.

Next is the process of sorting the mail that arrives into "probably OK"
and "probably junk" piles. People used to rely on spamassassin for
that, but I found it far too resource heavy and stopped using it about
two years ago. I'm now using crm114. And, with Jason White, I'm looking
at possibly moving to rstampd .

In any case, you'll want to configure dkim and dmark for your mta.
These assist the net in assuring you and everyone else that what you
receive, and what you send is legit.

Spam is a never ending battle. Expect to need to work on your
configurations and approaches from time to time as the months and years
go by.

If this sounds daunting, that's probably good. It's not a trivial task,
but it can be fun and certainly can be rewarding. I certainly have no
interest in giving up my setup for some service somewhere else.

hth

Janina
--
Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
sip:***@asterisk.rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-09 21:52:00 UTC
How would you use crm114 for spam filtering? Also, I am unfamiliar with
dkim and dmark, -- I do have sendmail -- how would those help?
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
Gregory Nowak
2016-01-09 23:45:52 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Also, I am unfamiliar with
dkim and dmark, -- I do have sendmail -- how would those help?
Dkim: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dkim>. In short, it authenticates
e-mails sent from a given domain, with some caveats. I don't know
either what dmark is as that would relate to the internet; a search of
the web doesn't help.

Greg

Jason White
2016-01-10 00:03:02 UTC
Post by Gregory Nowak
Dkim: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dkim>. In short, it authenticates
e-mails sent from a given domain, with some caveats. I don't know
either what dmark is as that would relate to the internet; a search of
the web doesn't help.
It's spelled "DMARC". It specifies the SPF and DKIM policies for a domain and
allows recipients to send reports regarding messages that passed or failed SPF
and DKIM checks.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7489

Currently, I am experimenting with rspamd as a spam filtering solution. It was
reviewed favourably on Linux Weekly News last year, performs well and includes
a variety of checks (DMARC among them) on incoming messages. It also has a
Bayesian statistical classifier similar to the default classifier in crm114.

It's too early to report on its effectiveness in my installation.

I have also added SPF, DKIM and DMARC records to my domain. Outbound mail is
signed with opendkim.

I'm running Postfix as my mail transfer agent, but these tools support
Sendmail as well.

Setting up a server is easy; filtering spam is less so, unfortunately.

Various tutorials related to DKIM, SPF and DMARC have been published too.
Kelly Prescott
2016-01-10 12:20:19 UTC
For a newby, this might be a bit daunting. This is why I mentioned Zimbra
http://www.zimbra.com
It does all these things and it is relatively easy to use.
It has command line tools which make the GUI control pannel unnecessary.
I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and whether you
are going to set it up in a commercial setting.
I personally do mail setups in both ways.
I use zimbra when I have a client that wants a proven stable easy for them
to manage day-to-day operations system.
I build a custom when I have either myself or a technical client that
whishes to tinker under the hood a lot.
The results are similar, but the approach is different.

-- Kelly Prescott
Janina Sajka

Janina Sajka
2016-01-11 19:43:37 UTC

I've got my crm set up via my personal ~/.procmailrc . It can also be
setup system wide, however I haven't needed that recently.

The crm home page does discuss site wide deployment:
http://crm114.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php

I note one can even use it with Spamassassin. I didn't go that way. I
dropped Spamassassin because it was spawning far too many processes that
were absorbing far too much of my available system resources, so that
other tasks on my server were suffering.

Am I completely happy with the results? No. I still get too many false
positives and consequently still need to look at my spam folder from
time to time. I've white-listed many more email sources than I would
have expected.

However, I see no more than a dozen or so emails in my inbox daily, and
that's a big improvement over what I was getting from Spamassassin.

hth

Janina

John G Heim
2016-01-13 14:00:04 UTC
I don't think there is a better spam filtering tool than spamassassin. I
ran the mail server for my department and all by myself, I was able to
get filtering as efficient as the campus mail server which used a
commercial product and had a full-time employee tuning it. The secret is
crowd sourcing. I had it download a new set of rules nightly and
configured it to use 3 crowd sourced systems, dcc, razor and pyzor. It
took a while to set all that up but once it was done, all I had to do
was sit back and let the world tune my spam filter.

Spamassassin is a bigger resource hog than anything else in a mail
system. I think that is probably true of any spam/virus filter. There is
just a lot to do. And really, it's the virus scanning part that is the
worst. You don't want to skip that. We had about 200 users on a machine
with 16 cores and 32 Gb of ram. It never had a problem with the load.
Hi,
Kelly Prescott
2016-01-13 21:20:17 UTC
I agree, that’s essentially what I do with Zimbra, and I almost never get a spam message.
I do, however, sometimes get good emails tagged as spam. I just put them in my non-spam folder, and my system learns.

Janina Sajka
2016-01-18 22:17:34 UTC
Well, John. You might just change my mind about spamassassin. Care to
share your configuration somewhere? I'm willing to give it another try.

I agree that crowd-sourced enhancements could indeed be powerful in this
use case.

Janina
Post by Kelly Prescott
[...]
Hi,

John G Heim
2016-01-19 15:18:17 UTC
You would be much better off googling for tutorials on setting up each
of those tools. I mean if I just posted my config files, they wouldn't
make a lot of sense. I'd have to spend so much time editing them for
security and explaing the customizations I made that it would be like
writing a tutorial. But the ones already out there are better than I
could do in the time allotted.

All of the tools I mentioned are like most linux tools, they take 2
minuts to get working and 2 days to get working right.

A few notes:

1. Spamassassin has this fuzzy logic feature. It's all under the
bayesian filtering heading. Users can tell spamassassin that a message
is spam and it will mark similar messages as spam in the future. I used
spamassassin's mysql interface to store those fuzzy logic rules in a
single database so all of my users would benefit when any one of them
marked a message as spam.

2. My dcc, razor, and pyzor configurations were pretty standard. The one
thing I'd suggest if you are going to set those up is to google for
information on testing to see if they are actually working. All 3 of
those tools tend to fail silently if there is anything wrong with the
configuration. In a way, that's not the fault of the tools. Mostly, its
that it's hard to know what to do when a tool is part of a pipeline. You
have to send the message on to the next tool in the pipeline so it looks
like the filter worked but didn't think the message was spam.

3. There are spamassassin rule sets you can download nightly. At the
very least, you should update the rule set supplied by spamassassin
every night. Here is the crontab entry I used to do that:

32 6 * * * root /usr/bin/sa-update --channel updates.spamassassin.org &&
service spamassassin restart > /dev/null
Post by Kelly Prescott
[...]
Hi,
Gregory Nowak
2016-01-09 23:53:31 UTC
Post by Janina Sajka
In any case, you'll want to configure dkim and dmark for your mta.
These assist the net in assuring you and everyone else that what you
receive, and what you send is legit.
Ok, I wasn't going to go there. Getting a basic mail system properly
configured and secured is tough enough for a newby. Since you let the
cat out of the bag though, I'll also mention it's worth setting up spf
(maybe that's what you mean by dmark). Since I use postfix, I use
postfix-policyd-spf-python for spf.
Post by Janina Sajka
Spam is a never ending battle. Expect to need to work on your
configurations and approaches from time to time as the months and years
go by.
Agreed.
Post by Janina Sajka
If this sounds daunting, that's probably good. It's not a trivial task,
but it can be fun and certainly can be rewarding. I certainly have no
interest in giving up my setup for some service somewhere else.
Agreed. Even with the most feature-rich paid mail providers, nothing
beats the responsibility and freedom of running your own mail
server. Sometimes nothing probably beats the occasional headache
either (grin).

Greg

Brian Buhrow
2016-01-19 18:03:20 UTC
hello John. I'm also running Spamassassin and asking it to download
updates every night. I've now not seen an update since December 21, 2015.
Are you seeing the same thing with your installation? I'm also downloading
the updates for channel updates.spamassassin.org. I couldn't tell from the
web site if it was a known issue or if the installations I'm running are
just broken.
-thanks
-Brian
Littlefield, Tyler
2016-01-21 20:07:04 UTC
This is the same setup I'm running. It works well enough, but tuning
spamassassin is really hit and miss. I get tons of crap that comes
through every day and have yet to figure out how to blacklist a lot of
it. I think honestly most of my spam would be stopped by blacklisting
url shorteners.

Thanks,
John G Heim
2016-01-22 14:59:29 UTC
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. The start of the spring
semester is always my busiest time. Well, I don't have much to add
anyway. I ran "sa-update --verbose --channel updates.spamassassin.org"
and it said no updates were available. But that doesn't mean much
because sa-update would have been run automatically earlier today. I
disabled the cron job that ran sa-update each day so over the next few
days, I can check it manually.

PS: I've been busy but I've been having fun setting up a beowulf cluster
for a class on analytics.