Vinux5.1 with Voxin?
Hart Larry
2016-09-27 20:22:02 UTC
Well, we finally have Speakup running, Voxin is talking in graphical, but
e-speak is heard when in Speakup. Can some1 please inform how to have an
American Voxin voice? Supposedly there were complications with Vinux 5.1 running
Voxin? Thanks so much in advance
Hart
David J. J. Ring, Jr.
2016-09-28 13:25:56 UTC
There was a message recently with the settings you need to change to
have ibmtts in speakup in console.

See if you can find it, it was within a few days or so from today.

David

David J. J. Ring, Jr.
2016-09-28 13:35:01 UTC
Larry,

You were answered about this by Rob on the Vinux Mail List.

QUOTE
To make Voxin default in the console as well make ibmtts the default
module in speechd.conf
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
change
defaultmodule espeak
defaultmodule ibmtts

cheers
Rob
UNQUOTE

Did you do this?

Right below this is a line:

#LanguageDefaultModule "en" "espeak"

It's commented out so it has no effect on the configuration now, but if
you have bought the USA English module in addition to the UK English
module, you might try changing it.

I don't know if this is correct but try it:

LanguageDefaultModule "en-us" "ibmtts"

Best wishes,

David

Hart Larry
2016-09-28 14:10:19 UTC
Thanks David: When I post to this Speakup list, messages are delayed, so I also
asked on Vinux list, where yes, Rob's suggestions helped. However, there is
nothing in an American English directory. When I purchased, I wasn't given a
choice of which English voices. At that time yesterday, I had some1 here quite
experienced, so we did certainly make progress, but he says when I boot the
laptop, once switching over from windows or graphical side, I would have to type
what seems a complicated command involving speechedup. Thanks so much
Hart
D.J.J. Ring, Jr.

Hart Larry
2016-09-28 15:13:42 UTC
OK David, my friend sent a list of what he did, but probably because of its siz,
I will send you to my site to read:
http://www.hubert-humphrey.com/vinux-notes.fix
Hope that will help. Also, seems my replies go through, but new topics are
delayed. Interesting
Hart
Glenn
2016-09-29 02:29:28 UTC
Larry,
This may only be the case with Orca and I don't know if the same holds true
with SpeakUp, but part of the fix for Voxin to work was to edit a conf file
with uncommenting a line that was something like
default synth: ibmtts
Maybe the file was speakup_conf.conf
It has been a while, but this was the fix for Vinux with Voxin.
HTH.
Glenn