One grub, two operating systems, problem solved.
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-09-26 12:17:32 UTC
Okay, playing a bit with the grub file in /etc/defaults and its solved.
Nice quiet bootups in both Arch installations now.

Chuck

John G Heim
2016-09-26 13:37:12 UTC
It probably wasn't a grub problem though, right? It's possible to fix a
problem with a machine speaking boot messages via changing the grub
configuration but you'd probably have had to set that up yourself in the
first place. I'm guessing that what you had to do was either keep the
speakup_soft kernel module from loading or stop espeakup from being
started during the boot. But those things don't directly apply to grub.

PS: One trick I have for dealing with grub is to make it play a tune at
boot time. In a way, it's just for fun. But it helps in that you get the
3 or 4 seconds while the tune is playing to interrupt the boot. Another
reason I like the tune is that it is a lot more definite than a beep.
Some computers beep during powerup and the tune makes it clear when it's
at the grup screen. I wrote a bash script to make it easier for me to
add a grub init tune. The script is available here:

http://www.iavit.org/~john/Debian/grub-init-tune

There are instructions in the file itself for how to use it. There are
also a couple of example tunes you can cut/paste into your
/etc/default/grub file.
John G. Heim; ***@math.wisc.edu; sip://***@sip.linphone.org
Hart Larry
2016-09-26 15:01:07 UTC
Well John-and-All, are their ways of having either Grub or LILO have variable
beeps, example, 2beeps for the 2nd item? Can this be combined with typing a
letter, "w" for windows "v" for vinux? I remember LILO let us do that. Thanks in
advance
Hart
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-09-26 15:10:04 UTC
Hi John,

I made no other changes to either system other than a couple of items in the
default grub file, but those things weren't obviously related to my issue either.
Examining the generated grub.cfg file,
I noticed that the default kernel command line used the quiet parameter,
but the secondary kernel command line did not.
I was unable to figure out where to add a quiet parameter to the secondary
kernel command line, so ended up exploring the effect of configuration changes.

The Arch wiki also describes adding an extended tune, which I tried but didn't like.
Maybe because I didn't recognize the tune. I may take a look at your package.

The nearest I can make out as the likeliest change relates to my disk partitioning scheme.
Although the system is uefi capable, I used the MSDos scheme. The grub configuration by default pre-loads modules for both
schemes. I removed the part_gpt reference, and the booting
went much faster once I made the menu selection,
and both installations began speaking only at the login prompt.

So really, it appears to have gone away, but I can't say I know why.

Chuck
--
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 64°F
Rob
2016-09-26 18:10:41 UTC
Too bad my computer doesn't have a PC speaker. Actually i've heard they are becoming more and more rare.
John G Heim
2016-09-26 19:19:22 UTC
Well, admittedly, it's not for everyone but I recommend building your
own computers. It's great experience, it looks good on a resume, and you
can make sure your machine has a PC speaker and a serial port.
Rob
2016-09-26 19:22:18 UTC
Post by John G Heim
Well, admittedly, it's not for everyone but I recommend building your
own computers. It's great experience, it looks good on a resume, and you
can make sure your machine has a PC speaker and a serial port.
I do indeed build my own computers; I can't stand all the junk they install in boxed systems.
a couple of years ago I was building this box I'm typing on. I had all the parts lined up, but the tiny little pc speaker disappeared somewhere and I never found it again. I never got around to trying to order a new one either. Seems like too much bother.
Frost
2016-09-29 16:47:04 UTC
Or when companies like SuperMicro give you a cheesy little
tweeter-thingie that's so quiet, you can't hear it over the fans
spinning up.

Michael