Best text-based speakup linux install
Joseph Norton
2017-02-04 03:31:30 UTC
Hi listers:

I had a gentleman write me off-list and he told me he has a 512-Mb system
he'd like to install some kind of text-based distro on.

I think he could still even install Debian without the X system, but, I'm
not sure which release to point him to.

Also, I bet Arch would be another good possibility.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Zachary Kline

Gregory Nowak
2017-02-04 04:49:47 UTC
By 512-Mb, I assume the gentleman means amount of RAM. If that's
correct, then I can tell you an install of the devuan 1.0 beta without
a GUI runs just fine in a virtualbox guest with 512 megs of
ram. Therefore, debian 8 would run fine as well. A system with 512
megs of RAM probably has something like a pentium II/III
CPU. Gnome/orca could probably run on that, but it would be a slow
experience most likely.

Now, if 512-mb means hard drive ... ... a minimal install of the
latest devuan and debian takes about 400 megs of space. So it could be
done, but ...

Greg
Post by Joseph Norton
I had a gentleman write me off-list and he told me he has a 512-Mb system
he'd like to install some kind of text-based distro on.
I think he could still even install Debian without the X system, but, I'm
not sure which release to point him to.
Also, I bet Arch would be another good possibility.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Jude DaShiell
2017-02-04 11:40:53 UTC
Depending on the computer's type of connections maybe an external hard
drive with external drive holder could increase that disk space and ide
hard drives really aren't that expensive any longer. An internal drive
could run the system and the /home and certain other partitions could
live on the external drive. Someone knowledgeable with Linux hardware
operations would be needed to set that up though.
Tom Fowle
2017-02-04 05:20:20 UTC
Hi Joseph,
I'm currently running Debian Wheezie 32 bit on an old 1.3GHZ asis P2C motherboard
with 750mB of ram.
Reason for keeping this old box is an ISA slot that runs my favorite synth,
Doubletalk.
Sometimes when copying very large talking books, like 350MB to an SD card,
the system "kills" some processes when out of memory.
Apparrently these processes restart when the copy is done.

I can have two or three text consoles open at a time and there is little
extra delay.

In other words, using command line only, it works fine.

Running Gnome with Orca and espeak it becomes unacceptably slow.

P.S. the motherboard won't take more ram or I'd add it.

tom Fowle
Tom Fowle
Jude DaShiell
2017-02-04 11:34:29 UTC
If you manage talkingarch correctly it is stable and will fit on a
system like that. A person would have to be pretty far into linux to
easily get talkingarch installed though. Definitely not for people with
a fear of using command line applications. Slackware is no longer
accessible but when it was accessible would have been easier to install.
I would stay well and truely away from gentoo since it's longer and
more complex to install than talkingarch and according to one of this
list's members has to be reinstalled to fix breakages that happen to it
with use and time. The F123e distribution is supposed to install
automatically with a working (ethernet) internet connection I have a
copy of it here and one of these days will attach to ethernet and try it
out. Another easier talkingarch install may be antergos.
Puppylinux might be another one to check out though I don't know if
that's still accessible.

When I got that one up, it was like knoppix with a menu interface. On Fri,
John Covici
2017-02-04 12:30:47 UTC
Just to let you know, I have a gentoo install since 2011 and never had
to reinstall.
You have to keep updating it, I do every couple of weeks or a month.

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 22:31:30
I had a gentleman write me off-list and he told me he has a 512-Mb system
he'd like to install some kind of text-based distro on.
I think he could still even install Debian without the X system, but, I'm
not sure which release to point him to.
Also, I bet Arch would be another good possibility.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
How do
you spend it?