latest version of TalkingArch
Jude DaShiell
2015-09-20 08:29:25 UTC
Has anyone used TakingArch-2015.09.02-dual.iso from http://talkingarch.tk/
to instal talkingarch yet?
I used aria2c to download it using bittorrent and the image I got is
non-verbal. It doesn't talk at all, and I'm about to request sighted
assistance to help with whatever may be showing up on the screen.

Kelly Prescott
2015-09-20 12:51:32 UTC
Hi there, I am one of the maintainers of the TalkingArch.
When we made the image, I used it to do a install and I had speech and
braille.
It is worth noting, that the image must be burned to a DVD, it is now to
big to fit on a cdrom.
You can, of course, put it on a flash drive and use it with no problem.

Please let me know if you need a image that can still fit on a CDrom.
It will install arch just fine, it will just be slightly older.
Also, make sure your image is good by verifying the signature against
either my gpg key or Kyle's key or both.
You can get the signature from the download page.
Jude DaShiell
2015-09-20 15:01:14 UTC
I have the signature but don't have the keys that go with it yet.
TalkingArch looks like a better prospect to get wifi set up if I can
ever find the wpakey for the router. My computers are being moved away
from ethernet by the end of September.
Mike Keithley
2015-09-20 13:27:30 UTC
What is the download page URL?

Kelly Prescott
2015-09-20 14:11:10 UTC
http://talkingarch.tk/download.php
Glenn
2015-09-20 16:16:21 UTC
I tried it about 6 months or so back, and it did not talk for me.
Seems like there's more to making it talk than just burning an ISO.
Glenn
2015-09-20 17:53:09 UTC
TalkingArch does a lot of things to ensure that most everything talks,
but I have found a couple of instances where it didn't talk right away.
If you notice something like this, try pressing the enter key once or
twice. Eventually, you should hear "***@archiso<" at which time you'll
know it's ready for use.
Sent from my thingamajig
Marcel Oats

Jude DaShiell
2015-09-22 05:02:34 UTC
I'll have to download another copy of the istall disk. I was using
Kyle's audio instructions and couldn't find /etc/asound.state
I couldn't get thee sound card talking on a reboot so will have to
download another instance of this package.

I have gpgv here but that's all. Once I get the signature blocks, how
would I use them with gpgv tonerify verify the archlinux image I
downloa?
Sean Murphy
2015-09-22 05:12:40 UTC
Hi all,

What talking release of Linux would be the best on raspberry
Pie 2? I do not really care about Gnoe, I am more interested in Speakup and Linux. If Gnome can work, great.

If there is any extra hardware I need, please let me know.

Sean
Kyle
2015-09-22 10:09:58 UTC
There is an Arch Linux tarball available for the Raspberry Pi 2. It
starts with a working ssh, so you can install packages over a network
to get started once you have installed following the guide at
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2
I have read that Ubuntu-MATE also runs on the Raspberry Pi 2, but I
have no experience with it. At this point, I have only had access to an
original Raspberry Pi model B, but I have been able to get MATE talking
on it using Arch. I hope to be able to play with a few more boards in
the very near future, including the Raspberry Pi 2, so I will be able
to give some better insight into the state of things fairly soon.
Sent from a wind in the door
Tony Baechler
2015-09-22 10:12:52 UTC
Post by Sean Murphy
What talking release of Linux would be the best on raspberry
Pie 2? I do not really care about Gnoe, I am more interested in Speakup and Linux. If Gnome can work, great.
I don't have a Pi, but here are a couple of links:

http://www.raspbian.org/
http://www.raspberry-vi.org/

Raspbian is based on Debian and should work with speech. You can search the
Speakup list archives for further details. I read that there was some sound
issue with Speakup, but I couldn't follow the details. The Raspberry VI
site should be of some help.
Tony Baechler
2015-09-22 10:16:51 UTC
I'll have to download another copy of the istall disk. I was using Kyle's
audio instructions and couldn't find /etc/asound.state
It's /var/lib/alsa/asound.state. If you have a working Linux system with
sound, mount it and copy your asound.state over to /var/lib/alsa on the live
CD. You'll then have to run:

alsactl restore

That's what I had to do. It was not easy without speech, but fortunately, I
was already at a root shell.
I couldn't get thee sound card talking on a reboot so will have to download
another instance of this package.
What package do you mean and what sound card do you have? If it works in
Debian or some other Linux, it's probably related to the same problem I
encountered. Upon thinking about it, I think the sound problem might be an
Arch upstream problem and not specific to Talking Arch. Similarly, the
brltty problem has to do with the default brltty.conf and isn't specific to
Talking Arch.
Jude DaShiell
2015-09-22 11:30:01 UTC
The archlinux dvd comes up talking. But the instruction to copy
/etc/asound.state /mnt/etc puts the file there but I had to use
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state myself to do this. Everything was going good
until I typed alsactl store. Then I get told about
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state.lock file. I took the first system to reboot
level having finished everything else up and when it came up, I had no
speech.
Kyle
2015-09-22 12:40:54 UTC
There are two different files at play here. /etc/asound.conf is the
alsa card configuration file, which was created if you chose a card
other than the default, i.e. if you heard the voice recording about
having more than one sound card on your computer. If you have only one
card, and if you did not hear the recording, there will be no
/etc/asound.conf, and you don't need one. /var/lib/alsa/asound.state is
the mixer state configuration, and is written either by running
alsactl store
from inside the chroot, or by running
alsactl -f /mnt/var/lib/alsa/asound.state store
from outside of the chroot, assuming you mounted your installed system
at /mnt. If I remember correctly, I ran
alsactl store
from inside the chroot in my audio guide, as it is certainly the easier
command, and should store the mixer state in the right place without
any errors.
Sent from my molecule
Jude DaShiell
2015-09-23 16:01:56 UTC
Hi Kyle,

We're golden finally! I ended up learning how to get wifi up on
archlinux properly and learned how to handle these fast sata drives if
things were on them and archlinux is to go onto them.
This second bit isn't difficult either but has a few steps and is for
those that can swap out hard drives. The ones that can't swap out hard
drives will do well to learn to erase boot sectors and put a new disk
label on disks with parted or something similar. I'd recommend dban if
it would talk.
For those that can swap out hard drives since they use drive caddies:
1) insert talkingarch in dvd drive,
2) unlock hard drive and move it so it's out of contact with connectors,
3) boot system up and get to root# prompt,
4) put hard disk in caddy and lock it in and wait a few seconds,
5) unlock caddy and move hard drive just out of contact with connectors
again; that should produce error messages,
6) push disk back into caddy and lock caddy,
7) type udevadm settle then wait a few seconds,
8) type lsblk and see if the hard drive shows up (that should show up as
an entry),
9) proceed with owtherwise normal TalkingArch installation.

Wifi has a few steps too:
1) run wifi-menu -o hit enter to use active network if you know its
password,
2) pick a network name and enter that,
3) key in wifi router password,
4) type netctl list
5) find the network name to right of asterisk and copy all of it to
speakup clipboard,
6) type netctl store and hit enter,
7) type netctl enable followed by space then hit the speakup paste
command then hit enter; you should hear a successful link operation
happen if you did it right.
Once that's done, and the system boots it automatically tries to connect
to wifi and in my case does so successfully.

Jude DaShiell
2015-09-22 11:20:48 UTC
I'm pretty sure I burnt another archlinux coaster. Reason is, unless
/etc/asund.state has moved elsewhere I can't find that file on the
coaster. I need to find an rsync repository for TalkinArch if one
exists. That's the only chanc I have of correcting the iso on my hard
drive in debian.
Jude DaShiell
2015-09-20 19:08:18 UTC
You probably got a corrupted iso. Even using bittorrent can fail when
satellite connections get used. That's probably what happened to me with
the last image since I got that one with bittorrent. I got one that talks
now using wget though. The next bit I'm about to relay is on wifi
connections. So far I can't do it on debian. Same equpment though using
archlinux and wifi-menu after all was keyed in correctly I was able to
ping google with no problem at all and no ethernet connection either.
Archlinux has the netctl package and debian needs it bad.On Sun, 20 Sep
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:16:21
Don Raikes
2015-09-21 02:01:48 UTC
I tried the latest talking arch about a month ago and it worked just fine. I burned a dvd and booted it on a dell laptop. I also used the iso image in vmware and it came up talking without a problem.