Problem with apollo II on dell power edge t20
Lukasz Golonka
2016-07-01 10:31:41 UTC
Hello,
i have tried to use my apollo II externall synthesier with speakup on my dell power edge t20.
Unfortunatelly after executing modprobe speakup_apollo there is the message "can not insert speakup_apollo no such device.
I'm sure that linux work with my serial port, because i'm able to type echo test >> /dev/ttyS0 and hear apollo speaking
There isn't also a problem with distro which i'm using,, because i'm able to use the same live cd with apollo on another
machine.
Thanks for any help
Greetings
Lukas
John G Heim
2016-07-01 13:41:38 UTC
You can use the very same live CD on one machine and it works but it
does not work on another machine? That strikes me as very strange. There
has been a bug in speakup for a long time where it can't allocate the
serial port because the kernel says it's in use. For years, people have
been hacking the kernel code to bypass the problem. But if the very same
CD works on one computer and not on another, this is not that.
Lukasz Golonka
2016-07-04 18:53:43 UTC
Before i posting i suspected that the problem isn't in the speakup
itself, but in my power edge. Is there anything, which i can tried to
make speakup working with my machine with my apollo II.
--
Lukasz Golonka <***@gmail.com>

Dietmar Segbert
2016-07-05 17:38:00 UTC
Hello,
since a kernel update at the begin of 2016, my apollo 2 will not speak
with me.

I use debian jessie with a 3.6.x kernel, 32 bit.

Regards

Dietmar
John G Heim
2016-07-05 22:07:31 UTC
You could try a kernel patched to avoid the serialio bug. This bug
causes speakup to fail to load the driver for some serial port
synthesizers because the port is flagged as in use by the linux kernel.
You can modify the kernel code to make it ignore the flag. The drivers
for some hardware synths never bothered with that flag so that may not
be your problem. You would have to examine the code to know.

I wrote a script for debian systems that builds a patched kernel. As
far as I know, it works only on debian systems. You can download the
script at:

http://www.iavit.org/~john/debian/make-speakup-kernel

This script does the following:
1. Installs packages necessary for building a kernel.
2. Downloads kernel source from debian (not linux-kernel.org).
3. Downloads and installs a patch I created for 3.16.7 kernels.
4. Compiles a pathed kernel and creates debian deb packages .

You must then install the kernel with dpkg.