Linux on access technology
Glenn
2016-05-25 01:48:08 UTC
I am wondering if anyone is working on a light-weight version of Linux to work on some of the legacy technology.
I am thinking of devices such as a Braille Light 40 and the like.
I don't know how much RAM these devices typically used, or if they can be upgraded, the last time I had one open for some battery work, it seemed that all the components are soldered down.
I imagine that it would take a .BIN file to prompt it to load Linux.
My thoughts are that it could give a bit more usefulness to these old devices.
I think otherwise, it's just a clunky Braille display.
Thanks for thoughts.
Glenn
Gregory Nowak
2016-05-25 03:19:06 UTC
I doubt there's a port of the kernel for the z80/z180 architecture,
not to mention all the other utilities. I personally use my old bns640
occasionally for what it was designed to do, and am happy with that
kind of usage. For more modern usage, I
have an android phone, and a laptop, both of which take care nicely of
what my bns can't do, and 99% of what it can do.

Greg
Post by Glenn
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone is working on a light-weight version of Linux to work on some of the legacy technology.
I am thinking of devices such as a Braille Light 40 and the like.
I don't know how much RAM these devices typically used, or if they can be upgraded, the last time I had one open for some battery work, it seemed that all the components are soldered down.
I imagine that it would take a .BIN file to prompt it to load Linux.
My thoughts are that it could give a bit more usefulness to these old devices.
I think otherwise, it's just a clunky Braille display.
Thanks for thoughts.
Glenn
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Tom Fowle
2016-05-25 03:31:47 UTC
I worked on a project to try to develop a TTY modem for the Braille Lite,
Dean was extremely tight about giving me any info about how the lite was
done. I believe they used a Hitachi HD64180 microprocessor which was a Z80
offshoot. Pretty sure they had no more than about 2 megs of ram and probably
64K of eprom Don't know about the clockspeed but bet it was pretty kreeky.
I don't believe it was ever field upgradable, Dean said something to me
about using Ymodem to upload programs and having nothing but trouble with
it.
Considering the instability of the hardware I think it'd be a bucket of
squashed worms.
Tom fowle
Hi,
Rob
2016-05-25 04:18:49 UTC

Yeah, 64k and about 16 mHz clockspeed. I asked once.
Gregory Nowak
2016-05-25 04:55:46 UTC
Interesting to know what the cpu actually was. I knew it was z80/z180
compatible, but that's it. As far as the clock speed, someone once
told me the Blazie units ran at 6-8 MHz, 12 MHz if you got the double
speed upgrade.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net

Tom Fowle
2016-05-25 05:04:43 UTC
And, since the software was all in eprom there wouldn't be means for
upgrading without burning new eproms.

I wonder what speech synthesizer they used suppose must have been based on
the long dead TI SPo256.
Tom Fowle
Gregory Nowak
2016-05-25 05:50:46 UTC
Actually, models made after I believe Sept. 1995 had a flashrom board
for upgrading the firmware by yourself, which I did quite a few
times. Units made sometime since the Summer of 1996 had superflash,
which also held firmware and were user upgradable. These were both
optional upgrades for the bns640, but were standard on the
bns2000. I'm not sure how that corresponds to the braille lite models. The
basic interpreter manual for the units said the speech chip is a
si263, but that's all I know on that. Supposedly this is the same
speech chip as used in the accent synthesizer.

Greg

Zachary Kline
Greg
MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
2016-05-25 10:15:21 UTC
I'm not sure I understand 9hat xou talk about. If you talk about linux
iN braille display, some projects are studied. Otherwise, Raspberry
seems a good point of beginning. If it's another thing, I don't know.

Regards,
Post by Tom Fowle
I worked on a project to try to develop a TTY modem for the Braille Lite,
Dean was extremely tight about giving me any info about how the lite was
done. I believe they used a Hitachi HD64180 microprocessor which was a Z80
offshoot. Pretty sure they had no more than about 2 megs of ram and probably
64K of eprom Don't know about the clockspeed but bet it was pretty kreeky.
I don't believe it was ever field upgradable, Dean said something to me
about using Ymodem to upload programs and having nothing but trouble with
it.
Considering the instability of the hardware I think it'd be a bucket of
squashed worms.
Tom fowle
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1
Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

HYPRA, progressons ensemble

Tél.: 01 84 73 06 61
Mail: ***@hypra.fr

Site Web: http://hypra.fr
Kirk Reiser
2016-05-25 13:08:49 UTC
Just as a point of interest, my wife uses her braillite-40
everyday. We replaced the batteries and charging circuit with more
modern ones about ten years ago. She really likes it and is always
worrying about what she'll do when we can't repair hers any
longer. It's editor is clunky but beats the shit out of the editor in
devices like the Alva units.
Post by Tom Fowle
I worked on a project to try to develop a TTY modem for the Braille Lite,
Dean was extremely tight about giving me any info about how the lite was
done. I believe they used a Hitachi HD64180 microprocessor which was a Z80
offshoot. Pretty sure they had no more than about 2 megs of ram and probably
64K of eprom Don't know about the clockspeed but bet it was pretty kreeky.
I don't believe it was ever field upgradable, Dean said something to me
about using Ymodem to upload programs and having nothing but trouble with
it.
Considering the instability of the hardware I think it'd be a bucket of
squashed worms.
Tom fowle
Post by Glenn
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone is working on a light-weight version of Linux to work on some of the legacy technology.
I am thinking of devices such as a Braille Light 40 and the like.
I don't know how much RAM these devices typically used, or if they can be upgraded, the last time I had one open for some battery work, it seemed that all the components are soldered down.
I imagine that it would take a .BIN file to prompt it to load Linux.
My thoughts are that it could give a bit more usefulness to these old devices.
I think otherwise, it's just a clunky Braille display.
Thanks for thoughts.
Glenn
Well that's it then, colour me secure!

Angelo Sonnesso
2016-05-25 13:17:47 UTC
Can you send me information on the updated battery and charging system?
Thanks

73 N2DYN Angelo

Kirk Reiser
2016-05-25 13:27:27 UTC
Hi, I cannot but Intelligent Access Microware's Fred Stam probably
will be happy to share information. I don't have an email for him but
their phone number is (519) 679-4828. As far as I know he still
repairs and modifies almost all access technology devices.

Angelo Sonnesso
2016-05-25 13:16:45 UTC
You can run programs on the Braille Lite, and there was a version of BASIC that worked with it, but I am not sure how we can find out about it.
I also have a Braille Lite still running..

73 N2DYN Angelo

Gregory Nowak
2016-05-25 23:43:05 UTC
I guess you can find out about it and other stuff from people who
saved the stuff while it was still available. I still have a floppy
with nearly all if not all of the basic interpreter stuff. The biggie
though is a tarball of ftp://blazie.com while it was still up. I got
that from someone on this list, I think it was Igor Geths. I could
probably host all that, but don't want trouble from FS over doing so.

As for the clunky editor ... while it isn't like what we have today,
it was good enough to take me through part of grade school, all of
high school, and a couple years of university. I did the majority of
my school work and papers on my bns, and still think back fondly on
the process. There was something magical about brailling into a video
tape sized device on my lap, being able to spell check, and prepare it
for printing.

Greg

Glenn
2016-05-25 13:40:49 UTC
If the keyboard wasn't an integral part of the motherboard, I'd consider
pulling the MB and putting in my Raspberry PI.
Glenn

John G Heim
2016-05-25 15:17:52 UTC
I actually went as far as to contact a plastics molding firm about the
possibility of making a case for a Soekris motherboard. The Raspberry Pi
isn't the first tiny, low power motherboard. I happened to have
inherited one at my job from a company called Soekris. I was going to
have the plastics company make a case so that I could put in a Soekris
mobo and a standard notebook keyboard. I thought I could either use a
blutooth braille display or have the case molded such that you could
snap in some low-cost braille display. I figured the parts other than
the braille display would be about $300 per unit. But the minimum order
from the plastics company was in the thousands. I didn't really want to
start a company to compete with Freedom Scientific and Access
Technology. I'm not sure it would have been a valid business model
anyway considering the advent of smart phones.
Janina Sajka
2016-05-26 07:36:41 UTC
Post by Glenn
If the keyboard wasn't an integral part of the motherboard, I'd consider
pulling the MB and putting in my Raspberry PI.
This is a pretty sound idea, imo. If we had a box with speakers, braille
keyboard, basic other IO like RJ45, audio, etc., but could simply swap
in mb from time to time to pick up on enhanced cpu, ram, etc., wouldn't
that be pretty future proof?

Janina
Glenn
Post by Tom Fowle
I worked on a project to try to develop a TTY modem for the Braille Lite,
Dean was extremely tight about giving me any info about how the lite was
done. I believe they used a Hitachi HD64180 microprocessor which was a Z80
offshoot. Pretty sure they had no more than about 2 megs of ram and probably
64K of eprom Don't know about the clockspeed but bet it was pretty kreeky.
I don't believe it was ever field upgradable, Dean said something to me
about using Ymodem to upload programs and having nothing but trouble with
it.
Considering the instability of the hardware I think it'd be a bucket of
squashed worms.
Tom fowle
Post by Glenn
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone is working on a light-weight version of Linux to
work on some of the legacy technology.
I am thinking of devices such as a Braille Light 40 and the like.
I don't know how much RAM these devices typically used, or if they can be
upgraded, the last time I had one open for some battery work, it seemed
that all the components are soldered down.
I imagine that it would take a .BIN file to prompt it to load Linux.
My thoughts are that it could give a bit more usefulness to these old devices.
I think otherwise, it's just a clunky Braille display.
Thanks for thoughts.
Glenn
Well that's it then, colour me secure!
Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
sip:***@asterisk.rednote.net
Email: ***@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
John G Heim
2016-05-26 13:26:45 UTC
I'm changing the subject of this thread...

Is there a standard for the size and shape of small motherboards? When I
got my pi, it wasn't even standard for different versions of the pi.
When you ordered a case, you had to know which revision of the raspberry
pi you had.

What we need is to get one of the dozens of people trying to design the
next break-through braille display to give up on that and design us a
case that can be printed on a 3D printer. Seriously, how often do you
hear about another group of well-meaning grad students working on yet
another cheap braille display that never materializes?

I am imagining a set of instructions that would include how to order the
various parts like battery, keyboard, etc, a 3D printer file for the
case, and instructions for installing linux and getting speakup working
on a pi. Bingo! A notetaker any blind person can build themselves.
Post by Janina Sajka
Post by Glenn
If the keyboard wasn't an integral part of the motherboard, I'd consider
pulling the MB and putting in my Raspberry PI.
This is a pretty sound idea, imo. If we had a box with speakers, braille
keyboard, basic other IO like RJ45, audio, etc., but could simply swap
in mb from time to time to pick up on enhanced cpu, ram, etc., wouldn't
that be pretty future proof?
Janina
Post by Glenn
Glenn
D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
2016-05-27 03:19:41 UTC
Hi John,

It's best not to change the subject of a thread, your message will likely
not be read by those who are ignoring the Access Technology thread because
of how mail programs sort mail.

Changing the subject line doesn't change the thread.

Sometimes when a thread has been changed, it won't even sort correctly when
sorted by Subject. The new message gets lost with the old thread.

Make a brand new message and address it to: the group.

David
Brandon Keith Biggs
2016-05-26 15:46:21 UTC
Hello,
If you have a little money you can do the following:
Get the following:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eora-3d-high-precision-3d-scanning#/

create a case using clay and scan it. Have a sighted person look over the
result and make sure it is what you want, print it, then you can get the
pie and some buttons, then you can create your own notetaker!
(It would be a prototype but I think it would work).
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>
Janina Sajka
2016-05-28 13:07:43 UTC
I suspect it would be OK to accomodate different sized boards in a
generic case, as long as they were just right or smaller, of course. If
smaller, they could still be anchored firmly and their IO extended out
to the ports on the case. Not ideal, but certainly not prohibitive.

I like the notion of socializing the need for a generic case to try and
inspire some grad project. Good idea.

Janina
Post by Janina Sajka
Post by Glenn
If the keyboard wasn't an integral part of the motherboard, I'd consider
pulling the MB and putting in my Raspberry PI.
This is a pretty sound idea, imo. If we had a box with speakers, braille
keyboard, basic other IO like RJ45, audio, etc., but could simply swap
in mb from time to time to pick up on enhanced cpu, ram, etc., wouldn't
that be pretty future proof?
Janina
Glenn

Gregory Nowak
2016-05-27 00:32:58 UTC
Post by Janina Sajka
This is a pretty sound idea, imo. If we had a box with speakers, braille
keyboard, basic other IO like RJ45, audio, etc., but could simply swap
in mb from time to time to pick up on enhanced cpu, ram, etc., wouldn't
that be pretty future proof?
Yup, but I can only see a nonprofit or an individual creating such an
option. No for profit company would go for it. Can you imagine the
loss in revenue if in order to upgrade all a user had to do is to
replace the mobo on their own? Let's take it further. What if the
entire thing including case and hardware could be printed on a 3d
printer, and the stl files were freely available? Keep the cost of the
entire thing down to $200 maybe $300 per unit. Allow a bit more if the
user wanted a braille display, maybe those could be 3d printed some
day too. I wonder if someone started something like that on
kickstarter, if it would take off?

Greg

Janina Sajka
2016-05-28 13:12:36 UTC
I'm not concerned whether or not it's sufficfiently profitable for
commercial business. There are plenty of nonprofits that would take this
up, if the value could be demonstrated.

The forthcoming approx $500 braille device coming from APH is an
example. It will also be a note taker, apparently.

Janina

Buddy Brannan
2016-05-28 13:35:39 UTC
a *very* basic notetaker. No translation or anything like that, so what you type into it is what gets stored. If you haven't seen the manual for it, or at least the preliminary manual for it, it's here:

http://tech.aph.org/tbd_doc.htm

Naturally, there are compromises in the design (somewhat slower refresh rate, for instance, and no cursor routing keys), but both are very acceptable compromises for the price, IMO, especially the cursor routing keys. Yeah, I expect integrating 20 extra switches into the cells would increase the cost by somewhat. Reports are, too, that the braille is excellent quality, reminding some of the braille on signage.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
2016-05-31 06:42:36 UTC
Profitable for non-profits is a project that succeeds in interesting the
donors who fund the organization, or if the sales produce enough profit.

The main difference between for-profits and non-profits is that the
non-profits cannot retain earnings for reinvestment, so they have to get
rid of profits by paying board members and executives or spending on
capital equipment.

Some non-profits are running over with money that they have to spend. If
one of those is around, get them interested.

Have fun,

David
Post by Gregory Nowak
Post by Janina Sajka
[...]
If we haven't been in touch before, e-mail me before adding me to your
contacts.
Jude DaShiell
2016-05-25 13:44:55 UTC
I think it will be interesting to discover what Linux interface
possibilities become available after American Printing House For The
Blind starts marketing the Orbit 20 cell refreshable display in the end
of 2016. Price point is supposed to be competitive too.
Dawes, Stephen
2016-05-25 14:02:42 UTC
It wouldn't surprise me if FS Packmates start showing up for sale with FS support of windows 10. With main stream devices starting to support windows 10, it wouldn't be long before a move away from dedicated devices such as the packmate start to diminish.

Stephen Dawes

This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and co-operation.
Janina Sajka
2016-05-26 07:30:57 UTC
I wish I still had mine. What those units do, they did quite well, once
it became possible to back up your data (floppy or serial).

Levelstar tried to create a modern equivalent, but the Braille Plus 18
is nowhere near as responsive or task reliable. Perhaps Marc made a
mistake trying to go with Android instead of sticking with native Linux
as he had with the Icon.

The Icon actually came close, but it had a serious hardware flaw, namely
that long proprietary USB connector port that weakens from weight over
time. And, the Icon has no braille display. The BP was supposed to add
that, but it also brought the good and the bad of Android.

Now I have a BP18 I almost never use, though it's display is quite nice
braille.

And, my Icon sits in a drawer unrechargeable.

Janina
Post by Tom Fowle
I worked on a project to try to develop a TTY modem for the Braille Lite,
Dean was extremely tight about giving me any info about how the lite was
done. I believe they used a Hitachi HD64180 microprocessor which was a Z80
offshoot. Pretty sure they had no more than about 2 megs of ram and probably
64K of eprom Don't know about the clockspeed but bet it was pretty
kreeky. I don't believe it was ever field upgradable, Dean said
something to me
about using Ymodem to upload programs and having nothing but trouble with
it.
Considering the instability of the hardware I think it'd be a bucket of
squashed worms.
Tom fowle
Hi,