Talking bootloader
-dan d.
2016-08-06 11:39:47 UTC
Hello,

Is there such a thing as a talking bootloader?

I know grub can be made to make sounds but I need speech.

Can a bootloader be made to send a text string to a serial port with a
speech synth attached for it to be spoken? I have a doubletalk.

Thanks.
Tony Baechler
2016-08-06 11:56:44 UTC
Yes, grub can do this. I can send my /etc/default/grub if you need it.
Basically you tell it to send the output to a serial console. I've verified
that it works here with my DECtalk Express. I'm talking about grub2, not
grub-legacy. Also, lilo can do this.
Post by -dan d.
Hello,
Is there such a thing as a talking bootloader?
I know grub can be made to make sounds but I need speech.
Can a bootloader be made to send a text string to a serial port with a
speech synth attached for it to be spoken? I have a doubletalk.
Thanks.
Tony Baechler, founder, Baechler Access Technology Services
Putting accessibility at the forefront of technology
mailto:***@batsupport.com
Phone: 1-619-746-8310 SMS text: 1-619-375-2545
-dan d.

XB
tim
2016-08-06 21:46:29 UTC
In opensuse 11.0 there was a talking boot menu, I have no idea how it
was done I believe using g something I don't remember the name right off
hand. but you pressed f11 and it using espeak, as it's speech said
Welcome to Opensuse 11.0. if you arrowed around, it announced hard
drive, cd drive etc, and like normal, you press enter on the one you
wanted. There's little if any docks about it from what I've been able
to tell, but I ran it several years ago a live cd/dvd and it spoke! you
might google opensuse talking boot menu or something, if I find anything
I'll post back here, its the only distro I know of to have such a
feature that doesn't rely on a separate hardware synth, someone correct
me if wrong.