Apollo II and kernel 4.18.x
Dietmar Segbert
2018-10-02 18:21:00 UTC
Hello,

i am using buster/sid with kernel 4.18.x and espeak.

I have also tested to use my old apollo ii connected with an usb-to-
serial-adapter with a ftdi-chip.

modprobe speakup-apollo dev:/dev/ttyUSB0

load the modul, but the synthesizer will not speak.

If i cat a string to /dev/ttyUSB0 the apollo II will speak.

The volume ist not "0" and in

sys/accessibility/speakup/synth

i found "apollo".

What can i do? Thanks for your help.

Regards

Dietmar Segbert
Samuel Thibault
2018-10-07 18:33:46 UTC
Hello,
Post by Dietmar Segbert
modprobe speakup-apollo dev:/dev/ttyUSB0
I don't think this is the way to pass options to modules, it should
rather be

insmod speakup-apollo dev=/dev/ttyUSB0

(note insmod, and '=')

Could some people handle updating the speakup documentation to properly
document how to use the dev parameter? (doing insmod by hand is fine for
testing, but people should rather use a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/)

Samuel
Didier Spaier
2018-10-07 18:50:01 UTC
Post by Samuel Thibault
Could some people handle updating the speakup documentation to properly
document how to use the dev parameter? (doing insmod by hand is fine for
testing, but people should rather use a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/)
Some people?
Post by Samuel Thibault
*Whose Job Is It?*
This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.
There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it.
Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.
Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.
Didier
Samuel Thibault
2018-10-07 18:54:34 UTC
Post by Didier Spaier
Post by Samuel Thibault
Could some people handle updating the speakup documentation to properly
document how to use the dev parameter? (doing insmod by hand is fine for
testing, but people should rather use a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/)
Some people?
Yes, i.e. not me.

I could do this, but that'd mean less time for me doing other things,
that way fewer people can do than this documentation bit.

Samuel
Post by Didier Spaier
Post by Samuel Thibault
*Whose Job Is It?*
This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.
There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it.
Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.
Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.
Didier
Samuel
/*
* [...] Note that 120 sec is defined in the protocol as the maximum
* possible RTT. I guess we'll have to use something other than TCP
* to talk to the University of Mars.
* PAWS allows us longer timeouts and large windows, so once implemented
* ftp to mars will work nicely.
*/
(from /usr/src/linux/net/inet/tcp.c, concerning RTT [retransmission timeout])
Keith Barrett
2018-10-09 13:52:23 UTC
Post by Dietmar Segbert
Hello,
Post by Dietmar Segbert
modprobe speakup-apollo dev:/dev/ttyUSB0
I don't think this is the way to pass options to modules, it should
rather be
insmod speakup-apollo dev=/dev/ttyUSB0
(note insmod, and '=')
Could some people handle updating the speakup documentation to properly
document how to use the dev parameter? (doing insmod by hand is fine for
testing, but people should rather use a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/)
This has highlighted a couple of issues with speakup.
I have had a recent issue with loss of speech in espeakup and have used
an apollo.
It seems impossible to unload the speakup_soft module and when the
apollo is connected, alternative letters are spoken via espeak and the
apollo.

I believe this issue was reported on this list some time ago and I am
now able to confirm the findings.

Debian buster updated on 9th October 2018.

There is also an issue whether espeak stops working randomly although
speakup does not crash.
Post by Dietmar Segbert
Samuel
Frank Carmickle
2018-10-18 14:57:19 UTC
Post by Keith Barrett
Post by Dietmar Segbert
Hello,
Post by Dietmar Segbert
[...]
I sent a backtrace to Samuel on the debian accessibility mailing list roughly three months ago. This is not an issue with buster specifically. It’s been alive and well for quite a while now on my system. I’ll start a new thread for others to look at the backtrace.

--FC
Dietmar Segbert
2018-10-21 18:56:00 UTC
Hello Samuel,
hello Listers,

yesterday i spent some time, to test again.

The Apollo II works with a usb-to-serial-adapter..

modprobe speakup_apollo dev=ttyUSB0

or

insmod speakup_apollo dev=ttyUSB0

will do the job.