CygWin in windows
Glenn
2015-11-27 22:51:27 UTC
I'm running windows 7 32, and I installed CygWin.
I don't know allot about using it.
I want to have access to some of the power of Linux.
I'm most familiar with Debian-based systems.
I use Jaws, and the CygWin terminal does not automatically read the returned information, and I don't like routing the Jaws cursor to read the terminal.
Can SpeakUp be installed into CygWin?
I saw a youtube thing about wget, but the person in the video did not really indicate the command for getting wget.
I found that apt-get nor aptitude work, so is there a command for installing packages in CygWin?
Thanks.
Glenn
c***@ccs.covici.com
2015-11-27 23:44:16 UTC
You use the setup program to get new packages, and last time I tried it,
it was not very easy to use -- you had to find the up and down arrows
in order to scroll the list.
Post by Glenn
Hi,
I'm running windows 7 32, and I installed CygWin.
I don't know allot about using it.
I want to have access to some of the power of Linux.
I'm most familiar with Debian-based systems.
I use Jaws, and the CygWin terminal does not automatically read the returned information, and I don't like routing the Jaws cursor to read the terminal.
Can SpeakUp be installed into CygWin?
I saw a youtube thing about wget, but the person in the video did not really indicate the command for getting wget.
I found that apt-get nor aptitude work, so is there a command for installing packages in CygWin?
Thanks.
Glenn
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
Rob
2015-11-28 00:08:21 UTC
You can feed it package named over the command line.
Gregory Nowak
2015-11-28 00:03:10 UTC
Post by Glenn
Can SpeakUp be installed into CygWin?
No.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Edgar Lozano

Tony Baechler
2015-11-28 09:57:24 UTC
Others have already addressed some of your questions, but since I use it on
a daily basis, I thought I would throw in my two cents.
Post by Glenn
I want to have access to some of the power of Linux.
First, it's called Cygwin. Second, it isn't Linux and you'll never have the
full power, flexibility and accessibility of Linux within any Windows
environment. They're apples and oranges. That said, Cygwin does have lots
of packages found in most Linux distros and it's a good learning
environment. It lets you run bash, compile software, etc without actually
having to install Linux, but see below.
Post by Glenn
I'm most familiar with Debian-based systems.
It's developed by Red Hat, so don't expect Debian commands to work. It does
ship dpkg however, so in theory, it could be used as a base for a
Debian-like Windows environment. I don't know if it ships apt. It isn't
RPM-based. It uses tar.bz2 for packages.
Post by Glenn
I use Jaws, and the CygWin terminal does not automatically read the returned information, and I don't like routing the Jaws cursor to read the terminal.
Try say all. I use both Window-Eyes and NVDA with reasonable success. NVDA
is the far better choice and has the best terminal support of any Windows
screen reader. WE is pretty good, but doesn't always read the text on the
screen and often doesn't read the last line of the display.
Post by Glenn
Can SpeakUp be installed into CygWin?
As Gregory said, no. It's not Linux and doesn't run a Linux kernel. You
would need either a virtual machine or a real Linux environment. I'm
working on a talking live CD based on Ubuntu which might interest you. It
doesn't change anything on your machine but lets you boot a fully working
Linux system with speech.

The way I use Cygwin is probably not typical. I have only a minimal system
consisting of bash, ssh and rsync. I ssh to my remote servers and do my
work on them, so I don't need a full Cygwin environment. There are good
reasons not to install all available Cygwin packages. Cygwin ships X, KDE
and Gnome, but I don't think it ships Orca and I have no idea how accessible
it is. If you want a talking X environment which works with Orca, I would
highly recommend Ubuntu MATE.

You can get a VPS for very cheap. Linux will almost always run faster than
the same programs in Windows. It's possible to do what I do on an almost
daily basis and ssh to the remote server or VPS, do your work and use rsync
to download anything you need. If you have lots of disk space, you can of
course install a full Cygwin environment, but don't be surprised if it runs
very slowly compared to Linux. I haven't used a full Cygwin setup for many
years, but part of why I abandoned it is because what took 10 minutes in
Cygwin took 30 seconds in Linux, without exaggeration. They are constantly
making improvements though and Cygwin is probably better now. As it
happens, I can sell a VPS which fits your needs and budget. If you're
interested, please let me know what you're looking for and the price range.
As I said, you can get them very cheaply and that still gives you the full
power of Linux without the hassle of fighting with the very difficult Cygwin
setup program.
Glenn
2015-11-28 16:03:16 UTC
Hi Tony,
I have several Linux distros on thumb drives, but my main reason for wanting
CygWin is that if I want to access my network computers or have more power
with external drives, I wanted to be able to do so without rebooting my
system.
I really did not want to have to go to something like VmWare, but maybe I
can with Arch or Ubuntu Mate.
I mainly use the terminal in Linux, but I like the GUI for a few things,
like connecting to WIFI.
Glenn

2015-11-28 16:25:23 UTC
vmware workstation 12 is pretty nice, for windows vm's I recomend a
windows host, however. Hyperv is very nice as well and its free, but it
requires some more hefty hardware.