Starting Speakup on a Debian Virtual Machine
Hunter Hoke
2016-10-08 19:46:41 UTC
Hello.
I don't know how active this mailing list is nowadays, but I need
assistance with a Speakup issue on Debian 8.6.
I managed to install Debian with speech. However, I cannot get Speakup
started after the installation.
Any help is appreciated.
Zachary Kline
2016-10-08 19:50:45 UTC
Hello,
You will find the list is quite active, but I'm afraid I don't have nearly enough information to begin helping you. Which speech system did you use? Was it hardware or software? Did you use the installation speech provided with espeak?
Without this kind of basic information I can be absolutely no help.
Please elaborate,
Zack.

Sent from my iPhone
Hunter Hoke
Rob
2016-10-08 19:58:08 UTC
Post by Hunter Hoke
Yes, I used the installation speech provided with Espeak.
Do other sounds work?
Are the
speakup
and
speakup_soft
modules loaded?
Are you sure the virtual machine has not rebootred into the installation media?
Hunter Hoke
2016-10-08 21:08:12 UTC
Yes, other sounds work.
I'm not sure whether the speakup and speakup_soft modules are loaded,
but I know the VM hasn't rebooted into the installation media because
I checked the status of the virtual cd/dvd drive.
Gregory Nowak
2016-10-09 06:00:44 UTC
If you installed a graphical desktop, you're probably being dropped
into the desktop when you boot. If this is the case, and you're
logging into the desktop, pulseaudio may not be allowing espeakup to
speak, because espeakup wants to use alsa directly. When your virtual
machine boots, do a ctrl+alt+f1 to go to the first text console. Does
speakup speak at that point if you try to use speakup's review
commands?

To find out which modules are loaded, you'd use the lsmod
command. Something like:

lsmod >lsmod.txt

at the shell prompt should dump a list of the currently loaded modules
into lsmod.txt. Do you have a way to move that file from the virtual
machine to the host? Something like this should be possible under
virtualbox for example with a shared folder.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Hunter Hoke
2016-10-09 19:50:41 UTC
No, I didn't install a desktop environment.
I had planned on installing VmWare tools after the install, but that's
impossible with no speech.
Chris Brannon
2016-10-09 22:03:16 UTC
Post by Hunter Hoke
I managed to install Debian with speech. However, I cannot get Speakup
started after the installation.
Is the speakup_soft module loaded?
lsmod |grep speakup
Is espeakup running?
ps -e |grep espeakup

-- Chris
Hunter Hoke
2016-10-30 19:27:02 UTC
If the speakup and speakup_soft modules are loaded, I have no way of
finding out.
I think there's a problem with espeak itself; I tried running espeak
from the command line and there was no speech output.
John G. Heim
2016-10-30 20:53:17 UTC
What kind of virtual machine? With virtualbox, you can take a screenshot
and pipe it to tesseract. It gives you somewhat scrambled text but you
probably will be able to make it out.

vboxmanage controlvm $VMNAME screenshotpng $PNGFILE
tesseract $PNGFILE stdout
Gregory Nowak
2016-10-31 00:49:32 UTC
Post by John G. Heim
What kind of virtual machine? With virtualbox, you can take a
screenshot and pipe it to tesseract. It gives you somewhat scrambled
text but you probably will be able to make it out.
I believe the OP mentioned earlier in this thread that vmware was
being used.
Post by John G. Heim
Post by Hunter Hoke
I think there's a problem with espeak itself; I tried running espeak
from the command line and there was no speech output.
If all you did is type espeak <enter>, then that's no surprise, since
you need to give espeak something to say for it to produce output.

Greg

Hunter Hoke
Gregory Nowak
2016-11-04 04:58:34 UTC
Post by Hunter Hoke
I did. I typed Espeak hello, and nothing happened.
Logged in as root, or a normal user? If logged in as a normal user,
try it as root. If that works, then your problem is likely with
pulseaudio. If it doesn't work as root, then I'm not sure what the
problem could be.

Greg

Hunter Hoke
Gregory Nowak
2016-11-05 23:03:42 UTC
Post by Hunter Hoke
I used the installation speech with espeak.
Yes, I realize that, but you didn't answer my question which I left
intact below.

Greg

Hunter Hoke
Gregory Nowak
2016-11-07 20:11:42 UTC
Post by Hunter Hoke
Whoops. I also tried it as root and nothing happened.
Then I'm not sure what the problem is, and am currently out of ideas
to solve it. Maybe someone else will be able to help you. Have you
considered creating a new guest, and trying the install again to see
if you get the same results?

Greg

jeremy
2016-11-07 20:15:38 UTC
Kind of a strange question, but I'd make sure that you are actually able
to boot into the new system, once you've finished up with the install. I
have absolutely no clue why, but the last time I tried a Debian 8
install inside vmware, using the normal text installer from the net
install cd, I never could get it to boot. I don't have enough site to be
able to see what's actually on the screen, but it certainly wasn't
getting beyond just a second or two after powering on the vm.

With any other distribution I've tried there, it worked great, so I
never could quite understand why the latest debian was giving me issues
with VMWare. That would certainly explain why you had no speech on
starting it up and why none of your commands seem to work. haha
Don't know if it matters or even if it's what's behind your issue, but I
was trying it on the latest VMWare player with windows7 as the host.
John Covici
2016-11-07 21:08:08 UTC
How are you booting the machine and can you shell into it from another
computer? Once you shell in, it will be much easier to figure out
what is going wrong.

Post by Hunter Hoke
Post by Gregory Nowak
Post by Hunter Hoke
I did. I typed Espeak hello, and nothing happened.
Logged in as root, or a normal user? If logged in as a normal user,
try it as root. If that works, then your problem is likely with
pulseaudio. If it doesn't work as root, then I'm not sure what the
problem could be.
Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1
skype: gregn1
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
jeremy
2016-11-08 19:21:18 UTC
Nah, I'd just used the shortcut key to power on the vm and then the
shortcut to send input over to it. As far as any output, it was all
being sent to the vm's display. Either way, from the very little I could
see on the vm's window, it was pretty obvious that Linux was never
actually booting. After I'd power it on, it would take me to something
that looked like a grub menu and then right afterwards, have a tiny bit
of text in the top left corner that would never change. Typically, on
any other Linux installation inside VMWare, once the grub menu displays
and you make a selection, you'd see a great deal of text scroll on the
display. This scrolling would normally take at least a few seconds and
then either stop or clear out when it reaches the end, leaving you with
the login area where you enter your username and password.
I'd also tried to do the same installation outside of VMWare player and
everything worked as I'd expect it to, so I figured it was something
caused by VMWare itself.
I figured it was worth mentioning here in this thread, as if it is the
same problem, Debian failing to boot, it would certainly explain why
there's no speech. :)
Take care.
Gregory Nowak
2016-11-09 00:29:27 UTC
The OP was asked earlier in the thread if sounds besides espeak could
be played/heard, and the answer was yes. So, I for one assumed until
this point that whatever the issue is, it isn't an install that
doesn't boot.

Greg

jeremy
2016-11-09 08:14:38 UTC
Now that I'm reading back through the archives, I do see where he said
that sound was working, however, it still isn't clear on exactly what
sound that may be. I'm fairly certain that he'd specify if it were a pc
speaker type sound, something that would play, even without the vm ever
booting, just as it did on mine, but if it's any other type of sound,
then that's more than what I had on mine and I'm incorrect.

I'd of guessed that if he were able to somehow access the machine
through other means, SSH or whatever and get it to play a sound, he'd of
also posted any errors he came across with speakup and it's parts.
Without knowing for sure that he's actually able to fully boot it and
reach a console, it's hard to say.

Depending on how the vm is configured, I'd probably think it worth while
to see if the installation can get an address through DHCP on the
router, but unless he has some way to verify how far he's making it
after he powers on the vm, I don't know. That's about the time I'd be
asking someone to read the screen to me to get an error so I could post
it here on this wonderful list. :)
Take care.