Synth to buy
Okash Khawaja
2017-03-19 08:41:25 UTC

I'm looking to get a synth to help with testing the different patches
locally. So looking for the one with relatively complicated drivers.
That's the only criteria I can think of. And of course the price :)

Thanks in advance.

Okash
John G. Heim
2017-03-19 14:21:30 UTC
I have two Tripletalks, one for home and one for work. I have no idea
how complicated the driver is. But the synths themselves have held up
well. They seem very rugged. I've dropped one or both several times. The
only complaint I have is that the little rubbery feet on the bottom
dissolved over time. They got real gummy and sticky and I had to peel
them off. At first I thought it might have been the heat from the
computer itself but when I got the second, I was careful not to put it
on a warm surface. Same thing. So that was weird but no big deal.

If I ever have to buy another synth, I'll probably try something else
just to try it. But I've been happy with the Tripletalk.
Hi,
MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
2017-03-19 15:49:08 UTC
Do you searah for a hardware synth? not software?

Regards,
Post by John G. Heim
I have two Tripletalks, one for home and one for work. I have no idea
how complicated the driver is. But the synths themselves have held up
well. They seem very rugged. I've dropped one or both several times. The
only complaint I have is that the little rubbery feet on the bottom
dissolved over time. They got real gummy and sticky and I had to peel
them off. At first I thought it might have been the heat from the
computer itself but when I got the second, I was careful not to put it
on a warm surface. Same thing. So that was weird but no big deal.
If I ever have to buy another synth, I'll probably try something else
just to try it. But I've been happy with the Tripletalk.
Post by Okash Khawaja
Hi,
I'm looking to get a synth to help with testing the different patches
locally. So looking for the one with relatively complicated drivers.
That's the only criteria I can think of. And of course the price :)
Thanks in advance.
Okash
Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

HYPRA, progressons ensemble

Tél.: 01 84 73 06 61
Mail: ***@hypra.fr

Site Web: http://hypra.fr
Okash Khawaja
2017-03-19 21:46:06 UTC

Yes hardware synth only. Dummy does good job but a hardware synth will give
more confidence as it will help test different code paths.

Thanks,
Okash
Post by John G. Heim
I have two Tripletalks, one for home and one for work. I have no idea
how complicated the driver is. But the synths themselves have held up
well. They seem very rugged. I've dropped one or both several times. The
only complaint I have is that the little rubbery feet on the bottom
dissolved over time. They got real gummy and sticky and I had to peel
them off. At first I thought it might have been the heat from the
computer itself but when I got the second, I was careful not to put it
on a warm surface. Same thing. So that was weird but no big deal.
If I ever have to buy another synth, I'll probably try something else
just to try it. But I've been happy with the Tripletalk.
Post by Okash Khawaja
Hi,
I'm looking to get a synth to help with testing the different patches
locally. So looking for the one with relatively complicated drivers.
That's the only criteria I can think of. And of course the price :)
Thanks in advance.
Okash
Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
HYPRA, progressons ensemble
T??l.: 01 84 73 06 61
Site Web: http://hypra.fr
Tom Fowle
2017-03-20 01:42:32 UTC
Okash,
I believe Access Solutions still carries the trippletalk which has both USB
and serial ports.

Two types of ports in one device. to try.
Or are you looking for a use device?

Tom fowle
Hi,
Post by John G. Heim
I have two Tripletalks, one for home and one for work. I have no idea
how complicated the driver is. But the synths themselves have held up
well. They seem very rugged. I've dropped one or both several times. The
only complaint I have is that the little rubbery feet on the bottom
dissolved over time. They got real gummy and sticky and I had to peel
them off. At first I thought it might have been the heat from the
computer itself but when I got the second, I was careful not to put it
on a warm surface. Same thing. So that was weird but no big deal.
If I ever have to buy another synth, I'll probably try something else
just to try it. But I've been happy with the Tripletalk.
Hi,
Okash Khawaja

Okash Khawaja

Keith Barrett
2017-03-19 18:12:15 UTC
Hello Okash,

I have a spare apollo which I am prepared to donate if that would help
to reinstate hardware synth support for speakup.

Let me know if it will be of any use to you?

Regards

Keith Barrett
Hi,
Okash Khawaja
2017-03-19 21:55:34 UTC
Hi Keith,

Thanks. I might take you up on your offer - will let you know. I will
just borrow it if I do.

When you say reinstate, has hardware synth support stopped?

Okash
Post by Keith Barrett
Hello Okash,
I have a spare apollo which I am prepared to donate if that would help to
reinstate hardware synth support for speakup.
Let me know if it will be of any use to you?
Regards
Keith Barrett
Hi,
Samuel Thibault
2017-03-19 22:04:13 UTC
Post by Okash Khawaja
When you say reinstate, has hardware synth support stopped?
The port stealing approach has posed more and more problems with the
rest of the core up to being just non-working on a lot of boxes, yes.

Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2017-03-19 22:06:27 UTC
Post by Keith Barrett
I have a spare apollo which
Note: apollo doesn't use input, but uses modem control lines, so that'll
be useful to test. ltlk does use input. You can actually buy one easily
from rcsys.com, it costs about $180.

Samuel
Okash Khawaja
Samuel Thibault
2017-03-20 13:46:38 UTC
Post by Okash Khawaja
So I am think buying one ltlk and then borrowing apollo. Thanks!
Note that the doubletalk only has old rs232 serial connexion, but that's
not a problem: just get a usb/serial converter to convert, that will be
fine for the tests.

Samuel
Gregory Nowak
2017-03-20 20:26:57 UTC
Post by Samuel Thibault
Note that the doubletalk only has old rs232 serial connexion, but that's
not a problem: just get a usb/serial converter to convert, that will be
fine for the tests.
There are/were actually two versions of the doubletalk. The doubletalk
lt which I think you mean has a rs232 serial port. The
doubletalk pc was an ISA card.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Samuel Thibault
2017-03-20 20:41:42 UTC
Post by Gregory Nowak
Post by Samuel Thibault
Note that the doubletalk only has old rs232 serial connexion, but that's
not a problem: just get a usb/serial converter to convert, that will be
fine for the tests.
There are/were actually two versions of the doubletalk. The doubletalk
lt which I think you mean has a rs232 serial port.
Yes, I meant lt, not pc :)

Samuel
Al Sten-Clanton

Greg
Tom Fowle
John G Heim
2017-03-20 13:26:28 UTC
Wow, that is an amazingly generous offer, Keith. I whish I'd have
thought of it. I don't have a spare synth but I'd be willing to donate
toward a fund to get one if that would help.
Post by Keith Barrett
Hello Okash,
I have a spare apollo which I am prepared to donate if that would help
to reinstate hardware synth support for speakup.
Let me know if it will be of any use to you?
Regards
Keith Barrett
Hi,
-d. dunfee
XB
Okash Khawaja
2017-03-24 10:20:14 UTC
Thanks everyone for your input.

Based on the recommendations, I am going to order DoubleTalk LT with
serial port.

Keith, I'd also like to borrow your Apollo. Will email you for
details. Thanks, appreciate that :)

Okash