espeakup
Mark Peveto
2016-05-25 14:06:15 UTC
Does this list support espeakup as well as standard speakup?

Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user number 600552
Sent from vinux using alpine 2.20.10
Chris Brannon
2016-05-26 14:31:06 UTC
Post by Mark Peveto
Does this list support espeakup as well as standard speakup?
Yes it does.

-- Chris
Mark Peveto

Mark Peveto
2016-05-26 18:24:31 UTC
Here's the error I was talking about earlier.

Back story: I'm trying to get console speech. Since i can't right now,
I'm doing this from a terminal, which reads badly. Once I type sudo
espeakup, it'll read the top of the console screen, and the login prompt
asking for a username. After that it gives an error which i'll post. I
know it's a pulseaudio problem. Most suggest I get rid of pulseaudio,
and if that's the only solution there is, I guess i'll have to, but that
creates more problems when it comes to having the system rediscover new
sound drivers. Long explanation short, it jacks things up!

Error follows.

[***@roxie ~]$ sudo espeakup
[sudo] password for southernprince:
[***@roxie ~]$ Assertion 'p' failed at pulse/simple.c:273,
function pa_simple_write(). Aborting.

It should be noted here that the error does not appear until I start to
type. It reads the login prompt, and once i hit the s for
southernprinc, my username, the error appears. If I could figure out
how, I might turn keyecho off, which I wanna do anyway, but I don't know
if that'd help anything.

There ya have it folks.
Willem Venter
2016-05-26 19:11:00 UTC
Hi.
Pulseaudio takes complete control of the audio device, so when other
devices try to use the soundcard through alsa things break.

A work around I use is playing sound using dmix. This means a bit more
processing and possibly a little latency for programs using pulse, but
on the other hand it's better than broken sound.

Remove package pulseaudio-alsa, which provides compatibility layer
between ALSA applications and PulseAudio. After this your ALSA apps
will use ALSA directly without being hooked by Pulse.
Edit /etc/pulse/default.pa.
Find and uncomment lines which load back-end drivers. Add device
parameters as follows. Then find and comment lines which load
autodetect modules.
load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
# load-module module-udev-detect
# load-module module-detect

After rebooting pulseaudio won't grab the sound device, but instead
plays it through dmix.

hth
Willem
Mark Peveto

Mark Peveto

Willem Venter
2016-05-27 04:20:37 UTC
Hi Mark.
I'm not sure why this did not work for you. My info comes from this page.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
I have successfully used the dmix method on archlinux and also debian.

This specific method relies on pulseaudio to still be installed.
Jude DaShiell
2016-05-26 22:25:23 UTC
Once pulseaudio is removed from a machine, running alsactl init should
initialize all sound cards to default values. The pulseaudio-alsa
package has to be deliberately installed on talkingarchlinux at least I
don't know what sonar or manjaro or f123 do.
Mark Peveto
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 15:11:00
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Post by Mark Peveto
[...]
Registered linux number 600552
Sent from sonar using thunderbird.
Jude DaShiell
2016-05-27 14:23:42 UTC
You have to wait for that distro to start talking and I do mean wait a
few minutes after you hit enter after booting the distro. It is probing
all of your sound cards, and even if you have usb speakers attached,
talkingarch will find them and will offer you the opportunity to use
them. Hope this helps.
Mark Peveto

Mark Peveto

Glenn
2016-05-26 23:49:20 UTC
I am wondering what eSpeakUp is.
I may be clueless here, but I thought that SpeakUp was the screenreader, and
eSpeak was the synth?
Thanks for any clarification.
Glenn

Rob
2016-05-27 00:29:05 UTC
Post by Glenn
I am wondering what eSpeakUp is.
Espeakup is the interface between speakup and espeak--the screen reader and
synth, respectively.
Mark Peveto

Willem Venter
Mark Peveto