problem with speechd-up and Pico
Manuel Cortéz
2017-01-23 20:10:51 UTC
Hello all,

I'm running speakup with speechd-up in Debian Stable. Speech Dispatcher
is configured to use pulseaudio, pulse starts in system mode and
everything seems to be OK if you're going to use espeak. However if I
want to use another voice, for example Pico (pico-generic.conf in spd's
modules), it doesn't work. I have mate installed and if I use spd-say
from the normal user it works and I can see pico in the output modules,
but I can't get it to work in speechd-up. I have changed everything as
needed in the root directory (I had to configure spd for root and allow
pulse to give access to this user in order to get speechd-up to work,
maybe I did something wrong here?), but it seems it doesn't matter what
I change, it just doesn't work.

If I change the default-language in spd (in the root user's settings) it
works, but nothing about modules.

Does someone know how to make speechd-up to work with other synths?

Thanks in advance.
Mark Peveto
2017-01-23 20:32:14 UTC
Hmm, I'm gonna have to find my vinux flash drive and try it. I got it working for a while, but I don't remember how. I'll try it otmorrow. I just
came off chemo today.

Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user number 600552
Everything happens after coffee!
Manuel Cortéz
2017-01-25 16:14:57 UTC
It seems I have fixed the problem by building the last version of spd
(0.8.6) from sources, and now Pico has a native binary module, that
seems to work well both in normal user and root user.