Announcing 32-bit test live CD
Tony Baechler
2015-11-29 09:53:32 UTC
All,

I'm happy to announce that a 32-bit test CD image is now available. It
should be identical to the 64-bit except for architecture, but as always,
please test thoroughly. I'll shortly be uploading a list of packages
included. The download link is here:

http://classicradio.us/iso/livetest32.iso

If you have any problems or suggestions, please let me know. My contact
information is below. Thanks very much for your testing.
--
Tony Baechler, founder, Baechler Access Technology Services
Putting accessibility at the forefront of technology
Phone: 1-619-746-8310 Fax/SMS: 1-619-627-1696
Tom Fowle
2015-12-13 05:22:55 UTC
tony,
second try at this image: my file date for the livetest32.iso is dec 4 18:37
Hope that indicates this is the latest upload.

Came up at prompt with speakup running.
Brltty -d al
for the alva ran the program but didn't find the display.

The sequence to remove espeakup etc and boot speakup_dtlk did the same as
before,
speakup_dtlk,not found.

Sorry, I understand it's not possible for you to test systems you don't
have.

Is there anything usefull I could do with the livetest32 running espeak?

thanks
Tom Fowle
Tony Baechler
2015-12-13 10:07:53 UTC
Thanks for testing. I don't know why things aren't working for you. The
module is definitely there. The only thing I can think of is try this:

service brltty stop

Then try running your brltty command. It's supposed to detect USB displays
automatically, but I turned off serial detection to avoid locking up speech
synths. Specifically, Talking Arch locked up my DECtalk Express. Maybe the
better option would be to not start brltty at boot. Just for curiosity,
when you have speech, what's the output of this?

modinfo speakup_dtlk

If that command doesn't find it, there is definitely something strange going
on. It's the standard Ubuntu kernel.
Tom Fowle
2015-12-14 03:45:39 UTC
tony
service brltty stop
gets a blank line and sits there for minutes.
I had goofed previously in brltty command, checked manual
but still didn't work even when specifying both braille driver and device.

modinfo speakup_dtlk
produced apparrently correct file info much like that produced by same
command on this wheezy box.
I don't know how to copy the screen data somewhere from which I can email
it.
Oh, maybe run script and try to mount a usb drive and put it there.
However assume fact that modinfo found the driver is all you need to know
again, removing espeak, speakup_soft and speakup then
modprobe speakup_dtlk
gets
can not insert speakup_dtlk.

Is it worth the fuss to run script and try to copy the results of any
commands to a thumb drive then send em to you?
Happy to try that if might be usefull?

Have you had anybody else test this with a different hardware synth?

sorry its not working, hope its not me goofing up.
thanks
Tom
Tony Baechler
2015-12-14 10:53:12 UTC
Post by Tom Fowle
Is it worth the fuss to run script and try to copy the results of any
commands to a thumb drive then send em to you?
Happy to try that if might be usefull?
Thanks for testing. No, I don't need the script output. It could be a
kernel issue. I have a DECtalk Express here, but the last several kernels
I've tried lock up when loading the module.
Post by Tom Fowle
Have you had anybody else test this with a different hardware synth?
No, but see above. I don't think kernel 4.2 supports serial synths. The
idea was that most people would use software speech. I don't know why
brltty doesn't work and I don't have a display to test. Thanks again for
testing, but I think I'm out of ideas. At least it boots on your machine
and you have speech.
Tom Fowle
2015-12-15 04:19:22 UTC
Tony,
O.K. actually what I did really want to know is the odds of a jessie upgrade
working with the DTLK, and it looks like maybe not. So we havn't waisted our
time. I may hunt up a second HD and do a regular jessie install on it see if
can make that work with the dtlk.

The synth is just a personal preference so I may have to byte the bullett
and "modernize' Oh gasp oh horrors! <GRIN> But if the braille display
doesn't fly, that's a deal breaker.

thanks again
Tom Fowle
Tony Baechler
2015-12-15 11:14:58 UTC
Post by Tom Fowle
Tony,
O.K. actually what I did really want to know is the odds of a jessie upgrade
working with the DTLK, and it looks like maybe not. So we havn't waisted our
time. I may hunt up a second HD and do a regular jessie install on it see if
can make that work with the dtlk.
No, you can't determine anything about Jessie based on the CD. It's based
on Ubuntu Wily and doesn't include Debian packages. It is custom built from
the Ubuntu core image. As already mentioned, Ubuntu does weird things with
brltty and I turned off serial detection, so you can't go by that either.
The kernel which ships with Wily is not that which ships with Jessie. It's
possible that you won't have any problems with Jessie. The best thing is
install on a different drive or make a full backup and upgrade. I kept my
old kernel and everything works fine here except udev.
Jude DaShiell
Jason White
2015-12-26 14:46:39 UTC
I wonder if the hardware screen reader patch also broke the ability to find
braille displays too?
I'm running a very recent kernel and having no problems with braille display
detection, which is all carried out in a daemon anyway, not inside the kernel
itself (except for the low-level registration of USB devices, serial devices
and Bluetooth, that is).

Jude DaShiell
2015-12-26 04:00:22 UTC
Until the patch to linux kernels made up stream that blocks all hardware
speech synthesizers is reverted or that patch gets reverted locally no
hardware speech synthesizer is useable with linux kernels. This topic
was covered earlier on this list too.
Glenn
2015-12-15 02:06:26 UTC
Hi Tony,
Can you tell me a bit about this CD?
I do need a CD image (not DVD) of something I can boot to and fix an older
Linux, which won't boot because the power got cut off while it was running.
Glenn

Tony Baechler
2015-12-15 11:10:43 UTC
Post by Glenn
Hi Tony,
Can you tell me a bit about this CD?
I do need a CD image (not DVD) of something I can boot to and fix an older
Linux, which won't boot because the power got cut off while it was running.
Glenn
The CD images are still in very early testing stage. They boot in KVM and
seem to work, but they need lots of testing. Your feedback would be
helpful. There are 32-bit and 64-bit images. Most basic packages should be
included. If something is missing, please let me know. They should come up
talking and include non-free firmware. Here are the links:

32-bit: http://classicradio.us/iso/livetest32.iso
64-bit: http://classicradio.us/livetest5.iso

Here are the user accounts:

Username: root
Password: root

Username: user
Password: user

Again, these are in very early testing and might have problems.