Kali Linux
Øyvind Lode
2017-08-23 11:08:18 UTC

I found an article on the kali forums or the blog that accessibility were added.
This article was dated back in 2013 and it stated accessibility was
added after being contacted by two blind security enthusiasts.
Nice!

I need to use Kali for work related stuff.

Anyone know the status of accessibility in current Kali builds?
I really hope these two blind enthusiasts is on this list.

I really hope most tools in Kali is for the CLI, so I don't have to
work with gnome etc :)
Jude DaShiell
2017-08-23 13:40:46 UTC
To install kali linux on a system use the s boot parameter and you'll
get a talking install. Once you have done that, and you reboot orca
will come up talking automatically.
Øyvind Lode
2017-08-23 14:22:18 UTC
Cool!
Does that mean I have to use gnome and orca to access kali tools?

I would prefer to only have a CLI system with speakup and brltty.
This is the way I do with debian.
Hit 's' at the boot prompt to get a talking install and I chose to not
install a desktop environment and only use the CLI and also remote
access via ssh.
Jude DaShiell
2017-08-23 15:15:21 UTC
Øyvind Lode
2017-08-23 18:29:53 UTC
Techswing33
2017-09-02 14:46:22 UTC
Hello,

With regards Kali can you make the changes you made to your installed
system as a post-install basically customize the iso and remaster it
so that the options will be available?

Thanks.
Dave.
Post by Øyvind Lode
Installed kali with speech.
Kali installed a desktop by default and I did not get the option to
not install a desktop like in debian.
The system did not talk when I booted it up after installation.
No braille either though I used both braille and speech during install.
I switched to a text console and fired up brltty and configured it to
start at boot time using systemctl.
All services is disabled by default on kali.
Ok, so far so good.
I have braille now which makes it easier to type commands and read
output in the text console <smile>
I then found that espeakup is in fact there but not loaded at startup.
speakup and speakup_soft kernel modules is not loaded at boot up either.
Loaded both speakup and speakup_soft and started espeakup and wolla;
it's speaking.
Still no speech in the gui though but I don't care about the gui.
I hope I can perform all hacking and penetration testing from the text
console anyway.
If I have to use orca and the gui I will have a problem since kali
will be running in a VM on a server and I don't know about a way to
run X and gui apps remotely in a accessible way for me that depend on
a screen reader.
Currently I'm running kali on my own vm at home where I now have both
braille and speech on the text console and I can access it from all
hosts on my lan via ssh (including over the internet).
speech-dispatcher is on the system, espeakup I think is not. However you
could probably install and use fenrir although that package needs work on
configuration scripts. One thing fenrir does not do is put a default key
combination on the system to control fenrir. It's left to the user to
choose this and edit the right configuration file correctly with normal text
editor. One advantage is, all lives in user space. I need to chroot my
kali system andchange the root password so I can log in, one of the
installers used a password they couldn't remember for my new computer. If
that works, I could search the archives and find if espeak is in those
archives.
Techswing33
Øyvind Lode
2017-11-15 09:37:00 UTC
I simply enabled relevant accessibility services using systemctl like this:

systemctl enable espeakup
systemctl enable brltty
... etc

In kali no services is started automatically on boot.
All is disabled and fix it by enabling them as shown above.
Post by Techswing33
Can you elaborate?