OT installing nfbtrans on Debian
Tom Fowle
2017-03-03 04:50:08 UTC
Trying to install nfbtrans on Debian wheezie
doing the
make linux
command gets an error about varying definitions of "getline"

I can send a "script" of the process if anybody is familiar with this
problem, but don't want to clutter the list.

Can't find any info about the author
Thanks for any help
tom Fowle
Jude DaShiell
2017-03-03 13:19:46 UTC
I had problems with that package too. I ended up using liblouis.
Another package tbrl turbobraille last version I knew about was 5.04
tbrl504 was written by Chuck Hallenbech. Depending on needs it may be
something that will work for you.
Tom Fowle
2017-03-04 21:16:17 UTC
My reason for using nfbtrans is it's backtranslation ability I'm pretty sure
turbobraille doesn't have that but will check liblouis if I can't get
nfbtrans to fly.
Thanks
tom Fowle
Kirk Reiser
2017-03-03 15:12:19 UTC
Hi Tom: The person that wrote nfbtrans was my good friend Randy
Formenti. Unfortunately he isn't with us anymore. I have used nfbtrans
for more than fifteen years with no difficulties. I haven't tried
compiling Randy's latest version 7.79 but will in a little while and
will let you know if I have any problems. He released it just before I
retired and so didn't have a need for any newer version than I was
running which was 7.74.

Kirk
Post by Tom Fowle
Trying to install nfbtrans on Debian wheezie
doing the
make linux
command gets an error about varying definitions of "getline"
I can send a "script" of the process if anybody is familiar with this
problem, but don't want to clutter the list.
Can't find any info about the author
Thanks for any help
tom Fowle
Well that's it then, colour me secure!

Tom Fowle
2017-03-04 21:18:02 UTC
Kirk,
I knew randy slightly, and sad he's no longer with us. I used and enjoyed
morse101 at times too.
Thanks
tom fowle
Kirk Reiser
2017-03-03 15:40:35 UTC
Hi again Tom: It compiled just fine here. There were a few warnings
about formatting issues but only three or four and none that affected
the operation of the program upon completion.

All I did was create an nfbtrans directory and unzip nfbtr779.zip into
that directory. Then I cd'd into the directory and ran make >make.out
2>&1 to capture the output. Give that a try and send me the output
file if you like.

Kirk

Tom Fowle
2017-03-04 21:22:25 UTC
Kirk,
I think I only saw nfbtrans774 on the nfb site.
Will go look again, that's what I tried to install but it required some
futzing around as it is a cross platformzip

tom Fowle
Frost
2017-03-03 16:20:36 UTC
Seems like Gentoo is the only distro that has nfbtrans in their
software package listings. Prolly won't happen in Debian as nfbtrans
isn't fully GNU licensed or whatever. --

Michael
Samuel Thibault
2017-03-04 14:40:34 UTC
Post by Frost
Prolly won't happen in Debian
Never say never: nfbtrans has been on the TODO list on
http://wiki.debian.org/accessibility-devel/ for some time already. Just
nobody took the time to actually do it.
Post by Frost
as nfbtrans isn't fully GNU licensed or whatever.
Debian doesn't contain only GNU-licensed software. It contains whatever
is free software, which is way larger than what GNU accepts. "Public
domain" being the licence of nfbtrans, there is nothing against
including it in Debian, except volunteer time.

Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2017-03-04 14:41:39 UTC
Hello,
Post by Tom Fowle
command gets an error about varying definitions of "getline"
Indeed, that's now a standard function. What you can do is to add this
line:

#define getline mygetline

just before the line containing the first ocurrence of getline.

Samuel
Tom Fowle
2017-03-04 22:41:12 UTC
Samuel's define fix worked.
Program works fine
We don't find v779, just v774 but I doubt I care as my needs are
non-critical.

Thanks Samuel and Kirk

tom Fowle
Jude DaShiell
2017-03-05 05:41:49 UTC
I almost got this to build on archlinux. With Samuel's patch, it couldn't
find termcap. I do have a termcap.h file so I will examine #include
directives and see if one for termcap needs a little modification for this
to build all the way. I have /usr/include/termcap.h on this system. On
Jude DaShiell
Jude DaShiell
2017-03-05 06:12:28 UTC
Okay, termcap is a lib in Makefile and once termcap package got
installed from the aur repository nfbtrans compiled with warnings but
nonetheless created an executable.
Glenn At Home
2017-03-05 06:21:23 UTC
I'm not sure of the implications of this thread is.
Is Make a tool for turning programs that are written for Windows, for
example, into programs for Linux?
Thanks for any info.
Glenn
Jude DaShiell
2017-03-05 13:36:02 UTC
No, make is a general-purpose tool that can do and does several jobs
depending on the code in the Makefile. In nfbtrans specifically make
lowercase only does part of the dos to unix conversion job. The unzip
utility on linux has command line switches to do the job more
thoroughly. Had I used the switches in unzip I would not only have had
everything lowercase those ^m at the ends of lines would also be gone.
Probably the best way to describe make is that make is a tool for
managing groups of files.
Tom Fowle
Tom Fowle
Glenn At Home
2017-03-06 02:48:39 UTC
Hi Tom,
That I knew, I have used it many times.
I got the impression that you were using a program to convert a windows
based program into a Linux based one.
Glenn