greetings
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-08-31 19:01:21 UTC
Hello everyone,

I've been away for some time, but have just resubscribed.
I currently use ArchLinux on a Dell Optiplex 780, refurbished, from Amazon.
Also still stubbornly using only command line interface,
just can't warm up to a GUI.

I'm Currently having an issue involving random failures of speech,
and am able to restore speech by issuing two systemctl commands,
one to stop espeakup.service, and the next to start it again.
How can I get further information to narrow the problem down to
espeakup, or speakup, or espeak? Recovery from the failures is reliable,
but I'd rather find and fix the cause.

Chuck
--
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 75°F
The Moon is New
Zachary Kline
2016-08-31 19:10:07 UTC
Dear Chuck,

You missed some discussion on this a few weeks ago.

To sum up, it’s a Portaudio bug which has been noticed thanks to an Alsa upgrade, and there is a temporary workaround. All you need to do is edit “espeakup.service,” or create a drop-in snippet. In the [Service] section, put the line
Environment=LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE=0

Case is important here, and the way I did it was to just do “sudo systemctl edit espeakup.service.” I hope this helps.
Best,
Zack.
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-08-31 19:29:14 UTC
Hi Zach,

Many thanks! I made the change you suggested, so now we see if it works for me here.
I'm sorry I ever left the list! It's good to be back.

Chuck
Post by Chuck Hallenbeck
Hello everyone,
I've been away for some time, but have just resubscribed.
I currently use ArchLinux on a Dell Optiplex 780, refurbished, from Amazon.
Also still stubbornly using only command line interface,
just can't warm up to a GUI.
I'm Currently having an issue involving random failures of speech,
and am able to restore speech by issuing two systemctl commands,
one to stop espeakup.service, and the next to start it again.
How can I get further information to narrow the problem down to
espeakup, or speakup, or espeak? Recovery from the failures is reliable,
but I'd rather find and fix the cause.
Chuck
--
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 75ï¿œF
Conditions Light Rain
The Moon is New
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 77°F
Conditions Mostly Cloudy
The Moon is New
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-08-31 23:18:52 UTC
Post by Chuck Hallenbeck
[...]
Conditions Overcast
Dear Zach,

I applied the steps you suggested, which resulted in the creation of the file:

/etc/systemd/system/espeakup.service.d/override.conf

with the single line you indicated should be added.
However, I still get the speech failures, even after rebooting. Have I overlooked something?

Chuck
The Moon is New
Zachary Kline
2016-08-31 23:23:25 UTC
Chuck,

I should have been more clear. The way the drop-in snippets work is to add bits to various sections of the files they complement.

So you also need to put
[Service]
above your single line of additional code. Another “systemctl edit,” should do it.

Hope this helps,
Zack.
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-08-31 23:33:54 UTC
Zach,

Ok, done. I have not messed with the contents of units before now.
Many thanks for your help.

Chuck
The Moon is New
Austin Seraphin
Jude DaShiell
2016-09-01 02:54:55 UTC
None of the packages you mentioned are responsible for the failures you
are having. It's the portaudio package that has the bug that causes
these failures and the e-mail list that supports portaudio is working
this issue.