Installing Slackware Without Hardware Synthesizer
Haden Pike
2016-03-01 00:32:22 UTC
Hi all,

I do not have a hardware synthesizer. Do I have any other options for performing an install of Slackware that do not involve me finding a sighted person to install it for me?

Thanks,
Haden Pike
Computer Science
University of Kentucky
Class of 2016
Jude DaShiell
2016-03-01 01:42:01 UTC
Not with slackware 14.1 and I suspect not with slackware_current either
but you could write ***@slackware.com and ask what the
accessibility status is of slackware_current there may be a software
speech capability in it by now but I doubt it. I've read no news on
this from slackware.com on their website and I suppose it's possible
slackware.com could have given up on providing accessibility but I
haven't read that either so don't quote me on that. If slackware ever
gets to a point it can work with a kickstart file though maybe many more
things will become possible.

One website I read a while back had instructions for installing
emacspeak as a screen reader environment and making a talking login
prompt.
Slackware does have an initialization file where boot up commands can be
put once an iso gets put on a hard drive opened up edited then burnt to
dvd again but you'd have to have commands you could put into it to get
speech going. I don't know if yasr can run a sound card, but if it can
and you can come up with the commands that might be a possibility.
Other thing you might try is searching slackbuilds.org for kickstart and
see if anyone made a script to build it on slackware.
Haden Pike
2016-03-01 16:45:14 UTC
Thanks for the reply. You’ve certainly given me some ideas and things to think about.

Haden Pike
Computer Science
University of Kentucky
Class of 2016
Kelly Prescott
2016-03-01 05:56:38 UTC
Haden, If you just want Linux and do not specifically need slackware, try TalkingArch Linux.
http://talkingarch.tk
It talks from the start, and while there is a bit of a curve to learn it, you can not only do the install yourself, but you can learn a great deal about Linux in the process.
Let me know if you have any questions about it.

-- Kelly Prescott

Haden Pike
2016-03-01 16:40:54 UTC
I already have a TalkingArch install on one of my machines here. I was going to install Slackware in a virtual machine, because it’s not a distribution I’ve used before.

Haden Pike
Computer Science
University of Kentucky
Class of 2016
Glenn
2016-03-03 02:09:54 UTC
There used to be a slackware for DOS that I had for my first Linux
experience.
It installed on FAT32.
Whatever happened to that project?
Glenn

Jude DaShiell
Gregory Nowak
2016-03-03 02:23:36 UTC
Yes. The speakup-specific version was zipspeak, slackware's official
version was zipslack.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Gregory Nowak

Cleverson Casarin Uliana
2016-03-02 14:45:40 UTC
Wouldn't it be possible to use a technique similar to that used to
install Gentoo? You could enter into a distro already installed on your
machine, then take the contents of the installation image and put each
piece of software in its own place. More exactly, if you know a little
of shell script, you could start reading the installer source code and
manually reproduce what it does.

Greetings,
Cleverson
Haden Pike
2016-03-02 15:38:52 UTC
Good idea. Any thoughts from others before I try this.

Haden Pike
Computer Science
University of Kentucky
Class of 2016
Jude DaShiell
2016-03-02 16:08:49 UTC
Download and use slackware_current as a base and basis point for this
work. Slackware 14.1 doesn't even work with software speech and
slackware_current may have a more modern kernel or kernels for you to
use. Another possibility may be you have to have generated a good
initrd file for any screen reader to work any more with slackware. I
don't know that this is the case, but if so the speakup-install.txt and
speakup.txt files could certainly do with some updating.
Glenn
2016-03-03 02:58:10 UTC
Can that be done via SSH from another computer?
Installing the OS that is.
Glenn
Jude DaShiell
2016-03-03 03:08:50 UTC
I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but it may be possible.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 21:58:10
John G Heim
2016-03-02 16:34:02 UTC
I could tell you how to install debian by manually repeating the steps
the installer does. But I am not sure that is possible in slackware.
Does slackware have a talking, live distro? Something like grml for
debian? With debian, what you would do is boot from a grml CD or thumb
drive, start speech, partition the hard drive, install a base system
(with debian this is done via debootstrap), install a kernel, install
grub and make sure it finds your kernel. You're done. So there are 2
things you'd have to find the equivalent of, a live distro like grml and
the base system installer like debootstrap. If you can find those 2
things, you're probably good.

Another thing you might investigate are auto-installers for slackware.
For debian, there is this tool called fai (stands for fully automatic
installer). I don't know if there is a slack equivalent of that either.
Jude DaShiell
2016-03-02 18:37:39 UTC
What you do with slackware after getting it up and speaking is to run
the setup program on disc1 of the set or on the dvd. The setup program
itself runs scripts like setup.1 and setup.2 ..., setup.7 if I remember
correctly is for setting up network connections.
John G Heim
2016-03-02 16:44:16 UTC
One more thing that might be worth considering is a serial console
install. This would probably be way easier than manually reproducing
the steps performed by the slackware installer. you'd need another
computer and a null-modem cable. Oh,and both machines have to have
serial ports.
Tip: Null-modem cables are a glut on the market in used computer stores.
New, they are about $5. But there is no reason to pay more than a dollar
for one of those thingsat a used computer store.
Gregory Nowak
2016-03-02 20:47:58 UTC
Good point. Actually, I believe Haden said he's doing this in a
virtual machine. In that case, just give the guest a virtual serial
port, and connect to it from the host with minicom/screen/telnet.

I haven't used slackware for the last 11 years or about, so can't give
you an exact boot sequence. However, when you get to a boot prompt of
the boot loader, pass:

console=ttyS0,115200

to the kernel, and you should hopefully be all set.

Greg

Haden Pike
2016-03-02 21:02:38 UTC
Correct, I forgot about serial ports. I wonder if I could write software to emulate one of the supported hardware synthesizers.

Haden Pike
Computer Science
University of Kentucky
Class of 2016
John G Heim
2016-03-02 21:34:27 UTC
If you wrote a hardware speechsynthesizer emulator, it would be useful
in another way. If you are booting a server, most of which have serial
ports, you could use a null modem cable to make a laptop act like a
hardware speech synthesizer. In other words, anyone could build their
own hardware speech synthesizer by installing your emulator on a laptop
and connecting it to the other machine with a null modem cable. If you
did it right, it would work with
jaws too.
Cleverson Casarin Uliana
2016-03-02 19:51:06 UTC
What about investigating some accessible SSH client or server for your
smartphone, then performing the installation from your smartphone onto
the PC, or maybe the oposite, perform the installation on the PC and try
to manage the output to be redirected to your smartphone so that the
screen reader on the smartphone would speak it?

Greetings
Cleverson
Rob
2016-03-02 20:01:31 UTC
Or what about braille?
Jude DaShiell
Techswing33
2016-03-02 22:33:55 UTC

I'd love to know if there's a way to get a slackware install, or any
other distro to redirect output to a smart phone. Right now in virtual
machines I can make some installs work with a virtual serial port, a
smart phone redirect would be great if there was one that worked.

Dave
Mike Keithley
2016-03-03 04:22:29 UTC
Sadly the Dos installation went away somewhere around Slackware 9. You can still get it in early slackware distributions from ftp.slackware.com, but it probably wouldn't work unless you happen to have an old IDE hard disk.