espeakup alsa errors
Kristoffer Gustafsson
2016-06-28 08:13:12 UTC
Hi.
I'm trying to get espeakup to work.
I use the latest stable version of debian.
but when I type espeakup I get just much errors about alsa.
What is going on here?
On older systems espeakup worked.
I need console speech.
/Kristoffer
--
Kristoffer Gustafsson
Salängsgatan 7a
mobil: 0730-500934
Chris Brannon
2016-06-28 19:12:09 UTC
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
but when I type espeakup I get just much errors about alsa.
What is going on here?
Hi,
Can you save those errors to a file and post it?

-- Chris
Kristoffer Gustafsson
2016-06-28 21:21:07 UTC
Hi.
I've just discovered something. I can't run any tts at all i think.
I'm trying festival too, and I get much errors about pcm-dmix, cannot
open slave device.
Everything worked fine before, and now on this computer... :(
/Kristoffer
mobil: 0730-500934
Kristoffer Gustafsson
2016-06-28 22:42:45 UTC
Hi.
finally!
there must be a bug somewhere in debian, both in stable and testing.
should I report this?
Everyone should need to do this?
I'll remember this, but everyone else.
/Kristoffer
mobil: 0730-500934
Gregory Nowak
2016-06-28 23:19:08 UTC
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
there must be a bug somewhere in debian, both in stable and testing.
should I report this?
No. Alsa picks card order how it likes. It's been that way for
ages. That's probably for the best too, since someone's new awesome
solution to deal with that issue isn't bound to be so awesome for
everyone else out there.
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
Everyone should need to do this?
That's debatable.
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
I'll remember this, but everyone else.
They'll have to do their own research, and figure it out the way you
did. I think that's one of the better, if not best, ways to learn
things.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Kristoffer Gustafsson
2016-06-28 23:51:40 UTC
Hi.
the trouble is just with speaking installations. on some systems it
works, and others it doesn't. everyone should be able to install
linux.
or do you think that there is a way of getting it speaking?
/Kristoffer
mobil: 0730-500934
Jude DaShiell
2016-06-29 14:16:47 UTC
If I have this right, dmix is part of pulseaudio.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:21:07
Subject: Re: espeakup alsa errors
Post by Chris Brannon
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
but when I type espeakup I get just much errors about alsa.
What is going on here?
Hi,
Can you save those errors to a file and post it?
-- Chris
Kristoffer Gustafsson
Sal?ngsgatan 7a
tel:033-12 60 93
mobil: 0730-500934
Janina Sajka
2016-06-29 14:55:16 UTC
No, dmix is part of alsa.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:21:07
Post by Chris Brannon
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
but when I type espeakup I get just much errors about alsa.
What is going on here?
Hi,
Can you save those errors to a file and post it?
-- Chris
Kristoffer Gustafsson
Sal?ngsgatan 7a
tel:033-12 60 93
mobil: 0730-500934
Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
sip:***@asterisk.rednote.net
Email: ***@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Kirk Reiser
2016-06-29 17:00:00 UTC
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:21:07
Post by Chris Brannon
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
but when I type espeakup I get just much errors about alsa.
What is going on here?
Hi,
Can you save those errors to a file and post it?
-- Chris
Kristoffer Gustafsson
Sal?ngsgatan 7a
tel:033-12 60 93
mobil: 0730-500934
Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Well that's it then, colour me secure!

Zachary Kline
2016-06-29 17:03:31 UTC
Kirk et al,

This is a problem I’ve ran into before as well. I ended up just adding kernel parameters to my boot command line. It’s hardly ideal, but at least I understand what all is going on now, more or less.
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.
Kristoffer Gustafsson
2016-06-29 17:26:56 UTC
Hi.
I found out this today when looking at things.
there was a card called intel hdmi. then I understood it.
do you think that I can disable this in bios?
Also, has any of you figured out how to change card to your usb headset?
I would like to use that.
/Kristoffer
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.
mobil: 0730-500934
Janina Sajka
2016-06-29 17:55:01 UTC
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
Hi.
I found out this today when looking at things.
there was a card called intel hdmi. then I understood it.
do you think that I can disable this in bios?
Maybe.
Post by Kristoffer Gustafsson
Also, has any of you figured out how to change card to your usb headset?
I would like to use that.
Here's what I do. I create the file /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf .

Here's some of the contents of that file:

<begin code>
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
alias snd-card-4 snd-usb-audio
options snd-card-4 index=4
options snd-usb-audio index=4
alias snd-card-6 snd-pcsp
options snd-card-6 index=6
options snd-pcsp index=6
alias snd-card-8 snd-hdsp
options snd-card-8 index=8
options snd-hdsp index=8
alias snd-card-9 snd-ice1724
options snd-card-9 index=9
options snd-ice1724 index=9
<end code>

Some comments ...

Why such numbers? Because once upon a time the numbering made sense, and
I have scripts that rely on those values.

The 4-6 lines that talk about usb would be you headset. You can't get
more specific without using udev.

After booting I do:

aplay -l |grep card

Sometimes the cards do not come up as expected. If that's the case, I
immediately reboot until they do come up correctly.

hth

Janina
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.

Janina Sajka
2016-06-29 17:16:06 UTC
Could someone repost the link? I want to bookmark it and have
inadvertently killed the email that included it.

Also, it's very unfortunate that we need to rely on udev to definitively
assign sound devices as default, or a particular hw: value. That makes
lots of things hard, including scripts and including assigning certain
devices to certain kinds of work, like hw:0 for speakup, and hw:8 for
high end audio editing, as an example.

The only reason udev is a probably for this is that how to do this isn't
well documented, and there's no tool I know of that front ends the task
properly.

PS: We should also be able to clearly define which HW: devices are for
pulse, and which for jack, and which for alsa only. Is that too much to
ask?

Janina
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.

Jude DaShiell
2016-06-29 18:50:57 UTC
udev has legitimate bugs and these are just the accessibility-connected
bugs.
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:16:06
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.
Shawn Kirkpatrick
2016-06-29 23:36:41 UTC
The best way around this is not to use hw: values if at all possible. Just
call the card by name. To find out what the names are just run: cat
/proc/asound/cards and you'll see the card names in brackets. Just use the
name as seen in the brackets without the space padding and things should
work as expected
even if the card indexes happen to move around on reboot.
The same goes for setting the default system sound card or the default card
for a specific user.
To set the system default you'd edit /etc/asound.conf and add something
like:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card Audigy
}
On my system this sets the default sound card to the sound blaster audigy.
Or to set the default card for a specific user you'd put that code in
.asoundrc in the user's home directory.
Depending on what program you're using the syntax for specifying a device by
name can get a bit tricky (upper and lower case letters matter) but it
should be possible.
This all assumes the only problem you're having is with the card indexes
moving around. A bigger problem can be pulse audio trying to take exclusive
control of a card. In that case the only thing to do is disable pulse audio
or figure out how to get whatever you're using to work with it. It's been my
experience that things just work if pulse audio is completely disabled but
this may effect some things if you're using the gui.
My system has 7 sound cards so I've had to learn the hard way how to make
alsa maintain order.
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.
Kristoffer Gustafsson
2016-06-30 10:06:54 UTC
Hi.
this was not a good idea.
I got errors, and then linux removed asound.conf
now I've got to install linux again.
or do you have a solution?
/Kristoffer
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.
mobil: 0730-500934
Jude DaShiell
2016-06-30 15:44:39 UTC
When you install debian again, just as the machine boots hit s then hit
enter. After that, wait maybe about a minute and you should hear your
sound card talking and guiding you through the install process the
correct way. If you did this already and experienced a sound card
failure, you then have a proper issue to raise on debian-accessibility
e-mail list. The list will want to know exactly what you did and
exactly what happened in the exact order all of it happened so
imprecision will not help your cause or solve any of your problems.
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 06:06:54
Post by Kirk Reiser
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.

Jude DaShiell
2016-06-29 18:44:43 UTC
Kirk,

That's a legitimate udev bug.
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 13:00:00
I will say that the link posted pointed to some interesting
information. I was having a very similar problem on my Chromebook. It
took a long time to figure out that it was because alsa was trying to
talk to the HDMI and not letting me get espeakup running. The thing
that sort of bugs me is that udev should be smart enough to know if it
doesn't see an hdmi device connected it should ignore it and move on
to the next available device. Oh well. Alsa documentation has always
been the pits.
Post by Janina Sajka
No, dmix is part of alsa.