keeping espeakup from starting at boot
John G Heim
2016-02-08 21:22:34 UTC
On the machines used by the other people in my department, I need to
keep espeakup from starting at boot time. We run ubuntu 15.10 so I think
this is a systemd question. Are the settings in /etc/default
considered depricated for systemd? There is nothing in
/etc/default/espeakup about keeping it from starting at boot.
Rob
2016-02-08 22:04:49 UTC
Wouldn't you just go systemctl disable espeakup?
Jude DaShiell
John G Heim
2016-02-09 14:24:35 UTC
Yeah, I'd rather not run a command if there is a config file I can set
it in. I have been somewhat remis in my duties as a linux systems admin
in having not taken the time to really learn about systemd. But if it
requires you to run a command to configure services, then it's broken.

I looked for info on configuring services in systemd. I found a nice
blog post about why /etc/default/ files aren't really needed in systemd.
But the advice it gives doesn't seem to apply to espeakup. It says to
take the default config file which would be somewhere like /lib/systemd/
and copy it to /etc/systemd/ and edit it there. But there is no
espeackup config file anywhere in the systemd directories. I suspect
that espeakup is relying on the backwards compatibility features of
systemd. As someone who has ignored systemd as long as possible myself,
I can't fault the espeakup developers for that.
John G Heim
2016-02-09 16:32:24 UTC
I ran 'systemctl disable espeakup' on one workstation and it said that
espeakup is not a native systemd service. It then ran insserv for me.
Insserv modified several files including /etc/init.d/.depend.boot. But I
didn't find any clear/easy way to disable espeakup via just setting a
flag in a config file.

So I just punted and deleted /etc/rcS.d/S02espeakup.

I manage approximately 100 workstations and I'd prefer to set a flag in
a config file because I can easily ship that config file to all 100
workstations. It's just as easy to run a command on all 100 workstations
but then there is no record of the command having been run. Well, it
would be in a log but logs get rotated out. If it's a flag in a config
file, it's just there. You can check on it a month from now or a year
from now and know how the service is configured.

My guess though is that I'll be able to get what I want once everything
is converted to systemd. It looks like you will be able to create a
custom config file in /etc/systemd/ that enables or disables the service
at boot. In some ways that's better and in some ways it's worse. If the
file exists at all, you know the configuration has been customized.
However,if a service isn't working, you might not think to look for a
custom systemd config file.
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-09 16:38:56 UTC
Hello,

update-rc.d is the standard Debian command to enable/disable a service.

Samuel
John G Heim
2016-02-09 16:51:45 UTC
I'm running ubuntu 15.10 but isn't that command depricated even in
debian jessie?
Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-09 18:23:47 UTC
I'm running ubuntu 15.10 but isn't that command depricated even in debian
jessie?
Nope.

Samuel
Jude DaShiell
2016-02-09 19:13:04 UTC
Perhaps grep can find which file on a system has speakup=speakup_soft in
it and even tell you the line number to check. Since you're an
administrator perhaps do a recursive search from the / directory with
grep and if that comes back with no results then what I found in debian
long ago is probably no longer there.