One Grub, two systems, no solution after all.
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-09-26 16:10:23 UTC
Well, dang it, what seems to be the case here is that repeated bootups
give different results. Sometimes no stray messages are spoken at all,
sometimes only one or two messages, sometimes quite a few.

I'm really baffled.

Anybody know how to add the quiet parameter to the kernel command lineusing
the available grub configuration tools? There are two lines in the
default grub file, both add quiet to the default kernel line, but not
to the secondary kernel line. Using them both puts the quiet parameter
on the default kernel command line twice, but not on the other one.

Does a PC ever become haunted? . Infested with poultergeists? Is mine the first?

Chuck
--
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 66°F
Rob
2016-09-26 18:18:46 UTC
Post by Chuck Hallenbeck
Anybody know how to add the quiet parameter to the kernel command lineusing
the available grub configuration tools? There are two lines in the
default grub file, both add quiet to the default kernel line, but not
to the secondary kernel line. Using them both puts the quiet parameter
on the default kernel command line twice, but not on the other one.
What about adding
loglevel=1
to each command line. This will suppress everything but panic messages.
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-09-26 18:28:24 UTC
Post by Rob
What about adding
loglevel=1
to each command line. This will suppress everything but panic messages.
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 64°F
Conditions Overcast
Rob
2016-09-26 18:37:37 UTC
Post by Chuck Hallenbeck
I guess I don't know how to add anything to a kernel command line with grub,
other than through the /etc/default/grub file and
grub-mkconfig. How would you do it?
You will want to directly edit
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
look for the line that starts something like
linux some other stuff/boot/vmlinuz-something-else
add
loglevel=1
to the end of the line.
Chuck Hallenbeck
2016-09-26 19:21:42 UTC
Post by Rob
You will want to directly edit
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
look for the line that starts something like
linux some other stuff/boot/vmlinuz-something-else
add
loglevel=1
to the end of the line.
Okay, did that. I hesitated hand editing that file before, since
a later use of grub-mkconfig would clobber my edits.
But, it seemed to work once, then two other boots failed to work.
Since it's variable even without that addition, it seems not to make a difference.

But the messages I'm seeing all seem to be systemctl related, i.e.
about locating the network, starting sound output, etc.
I can't quote them too easily since the login prompt clears the screen.

Chuck
Post by Rob
Willoughby Ohio
Temperature 64°F
Conditions Overcast
Rob
2016-09-26 19:27:05 UTC
Post by Chuck Hallenbeck
But the messages I'm seeing all seem to be systemctl related, i.e.
about locating the network, starting sound output, etc.
I can't quote them too easily since the login prompt clears the screen.
I don't know if you can shut that off, because it's not coming from the kernel; it's coming from systemd, like you say.
There might be something you can turn off and on in
/etc/systemd/journald.conf
however. That might be worth investigating.