fedora 22 and Speakup
Juan Hernandez
2015-06-26 01:51:59 UTC
Hi All,

How do I get speakup running on fedora22? On ubunto 15.04 all I had to do
was a modprobe speakup, and then run espeakup. Does this still apply under
fedora?

Thanks for any help.

Best,
Janina Sajka
2015-06-26 18:29:02 UTC

The problem is that not every kernel build in Fedora is providing Speakup modules.

At the moment, I'm running Fedora 22 except for the fact that I'm still
on a Fedora 21 provided kernel just for this reason.

If you do go back to Fedora 21 for a Speakup capable kernel, be sure you
get:

kmod-staging-3.19.7-200.fc21.x86_64-3.19.2-2.fc21.5.x86_64

That's where the Speakup modules live. On 22, as far as I can tell, this
is now:

staging-kmod-addons-4.0.4-1.fc22.noarch

Unfortunately, this latest package doesn't actually seem to have the
Speakup modules for some reason.

Because of the above, I always do my updates via a command like:

dnf --exclude=kernel* update

Then, I separately update kernel and staging.

hth

Janina
Post by Juan Hernandez
Hi All,
How do I get speakup running on fedora22? On ubunto 15.04 all I had to do
was a modprobe speakup, and then run espeakup. Does this still apply under
fedora?
Thanks for any help.
Best,
Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
sip:***@asterisk.rednote.net
Email: ***@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
Steve Matzura
2015-12-31 12:12:29 UTC
Good advice. Are you saying, then, that it's a good idea to start with
Fedora 21 and then do upgrades in order to keep Speakup running, and
not install a fresh system from 22 or 23? And upon whose head do we
bang to get this corrected?

And oh yes, does Fedora have an accessible installer similar to
Debian's, where loading Speakup is a choice on the install menu? I
tried it with 22, but never could get it working on the installer.
Hi,
Janina Sajka
2016-01-02 00:00:52 UTC
No, no. If you're installing Fedora from scratch, go with the current
release, Fedora 23.

People have reported success using the Live image to install to a hard
drive. I've never done that myself.

Once you have a working Fedora system, you have cli options for upgrades
to a future Fedora release using either dnf or fedup. But, there's not
an installation system such as GRML, Arch, and Debian provide to assist
installation from scratch.

hth

Janina
Post by Steve Matzura
Good advice. Are you saying, then, that it's a good idea to start with
Fedora 21 and then do upgrades in order to keep Speakup running, and
not install a fresh system from 22 or 23? And upon whose head do we
bang to get this corrected?
And oh yes, does Fedora have an accessible installer similar to
Debian's, where loading Speakup is a choice on the install menu? I
tried it with 22, but never could get it working on the installer.
Hi,

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa