Scanning
Cheryl Homiak
2015-11-03 18:27:47 UTC
If anybody onlist does scanning with a flatbed scanner on linux, could you tell me what you are using. I have a Canon lide 110. I had scanning set up with my lide60 a few years ago but am not sure how to do it now. I know this sounds superfluous since I can do these things on my Mac with the gui but I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. If something happens to my Mac, I want to not be left high and dry. I actually think I could run tesseract on my Mac in terminal as well as in linux but it looks like a lot of compiling and I recently decided to see if I could manage all right without extra package managers like homebrew and macports.
--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)
Chris Brannon
2015-11-05 02:39:14 UTC
Post by Cheryl Homiak
If anybody onlist does scanning with a flatbed scanner on linux, could
you tell me what you are using.
Hi Cheryl,
I do scanning on Linux all the time.
My scanner is a CanoScan lide 100. I use a tool named scanimage. It is
part of the sane package, or maybe the sane-backends package. I think
the package name may vary by distro.
In order to scan on Linux, you'll need to add your user to the scanner
group first.
I don't know what the differences are between the lide 100 and the lide
110, but sane's compatibility page claims that the lide 110 is fully
supported.
If you need any further help debugging, feel free to contact me
off-list, and I'll be happy to help.

-- Chris
Cheryl Homiak

John G Heim
2015-11-05 15:30:41 UTC
Yeah, I use the sane scanimage command too. It was in the code segment
and in the script I posted earlier this week. I didn't know there were
other tools besides sane for operating a scanner in linux.
I did a lot of experimentation while scanning in the D&D manual. I found
that I got best text recognition when I scanned in the page as line art.
My scanner has a top resolution of 600 dots per inch. I don't know if
that's good or bad. It's is a really ancient scanner. Someone just gave
it to me because they were upgrading to Windows XP and it didn't have
drivers. When would that have been, 2001? But it still works great in linux.
John Heim, ***@math.wisc.edu, 608-263-4189, skype:john.g.heim,
sip:***@sip.linphone.org
Jude DaShiell
Tony Baechler
2015-11-06 10:30:04 UTC
According to Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders (pgdp.net if you're
interested), they actually recommend not scanning at 600 DPI. They
recommend 300 DPI for most books and 400 DPI in rare cases. I can confirm
this to be the case in my experience. When I scan at the highest
resolution, I actually get worse text results. Not only does 300 DPI scan
faster, but seems to do a better job. Of course I don't know about
non-English text. Maybe 400 DPI works better for other languages.
Willem van der Walt
2015-11-06 10:36:25 UTC
I also read that 300 dpi is best as well as scanning in black and white as
opposed to scanning in color.
HTH, Willem
Post by John G Heim
I did a lot of experimentation while scanning in the D&D manual. I found
that I got best text recognition when I scanned in the page as line art. My
scanner has a top resolution of 600 dots per inch. I don't know if that's
good or bad. It's is a really ancient scanner. Someone just gave it to me
because they were upgrading to Windows XP and it didn't have drivers. When
would that have been, 2001? But it still works great in linux.
This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Glenn
2015-11-06 13:49:56 UTC
That may have to do with too much resolution picking up too many anomalies,
like grains of the paper and smudges and the like.
Glenn
Chris Brannon
2015-11-18 18:02:21 UTC
Post by Cheryl Homiak
Thank you so much, Chris! I will contact you. I have tried with the
lide 110 and scanimage, which I think may be what I used a few years
ago, but get errors when I pass the image on to tesseract and just a
blank file. I probably am leaving something out of the command line
It's possible that you may need to specify the height and width of your
scanned image. I've had to do this in the past with the Canon scanners.
So the script I use for making scans passes the options -x 215mm -y
297mm along to scanimage.

-- Chris
Cheryl Homiak