Debian stretch - No speech after installation
Øyvind Lode
2016-01-31 12:44:26 UTC
Hi all:

I've just installed debian stretch 64-bit using latest image - alpha 5
of the debian installer.

Installation went smoothly but to my surprise I did not have speech
when I booted into my new installation.

This is a virtual machine and I have ssh access to it.
It's running on VMWare Workstation Player 12.1.0.

I hope somebody can help me out getting it to speak.

PS: I've upgraded my installation to run "sid".

Here is the output from amixer etc:

$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0

$ amixer scontents
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 63
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 51 [81%] [-18.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 51 [81%] [-18.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 63
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 51 [81%] [42.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 51 [81%] [42.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 63
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 63
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 63
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [on]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
[...]
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 8 [53%] [12.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 8 [53%] [12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [AudioPCI ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0x2040, irq 16

Thanks,

Øyvind
Øyvind Lode
Øyvind
Samuel Thibault
2016-01-31 14:23:47 UTC
Hello,
Post by Øyvind Lode
Installation went smoothly but to my surprise I did not have speech
when I booted into my new installation.
How did you install it? Using netinst, cd1, did you use a network
mirror? After installation, are both espeakup and alsa-utils installed?

Samuel
Øyvind Lode
2016-01-31 16:25:35 UTC
Hi:

On 31 January 2016 at 15:23, Samuel Thibault
Post by Samuel Thibault
How did you install it? Using netinst, cd1, did you use a network
mirror? After installation, are both espeakup and alsa-utils installed?
Netinst 64-bit stretch alpha 5 image downloaded from the Norwegian mirror:
ftp.no.debian.org.

I also used the above mirror during installation to download
additional packages.

Yes, both alsa-utils and espeakup is installed.
Dietmar Segbert
2016-01-31 14:44:00 UTC
Hello,
Post by Øyvind Lode
I've just installed debian stretch 64-bit using latest image - alpha 5
of the debian installer.
Installation went smoothly but to my surprise I did not have speech
when I booted into my new installation.
This is a virtual machine and I have ssh access to it.
It's running on VMWare Workstation Player 12.1.0.
I hope somebody can help me out getting it to speak.
PS: I've upgraded my installation to run "sid".
$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Have you tried:

amixer set Master 90

Regards

Dietmar
Post by Øyvind Lode
[...]
?yvind
Øyvind Lode
2016-01-31 16:28:09 UTC
Post by Dietmar Segbert
amixer set Master 90
Yes, still no speech.
Rob
2016-01-31 17:05:33 UTC
Post by Dietmar Segbert
amixer set Master 90
Yes, still no speech.
Um, probably obvious, but are the modules speakup and speakup_soft
loaded?
Øyvind Lode
2016-01-31 17:42:32 UTC
Um, probably obvious, but are the modules speakup and speakup_soft loaded?
Yes:
$ lsmod | grep [s]peakup
speakup_soft 16384 1
speakup 102400 1 speakup_soft
$

And by the way espeakup daemon is also running.

Øyvind
Jason White
2016-01-31 17:50:53 UTC
Post by Øyvind Lode
$ lsmod | grep [s]peakup
speakup_soft 16384 1
speakup 102400 1 speakup_soft
$
And by the way espeakup daemon is also running.
Can you play audio files or streams via the sound card? Have you checked with
amixer to see that the volume of the audio device is sufficient?
Øyvind Lode
2016-01-31 18:31:12 UTC
Post by Jason White
Can you play audio files or streams via the sound card? Have you checked with
amixer to see that the volume of the audio device is sufficient?
No, I cannot play anything.
No sound output.
I've tried all tricks I know of to get amixer to adjust volume.
I had sound during installation but not on the installed system.
I'm starting to believe that this is some sort of driver issue.
I also tried booting from usb to run natively but doing that did not
even get sound when the installer started.
I will try a different distro to check if I get sound then.
I tried booting the same image on a different system and I then got
sound also after installation.
So, installation media is fine.
Alonzo Cuellar
2016-01-31 20:51:29 UTC
Hello,
I'd think that you may need to blindly configure /etc/asound.conf
On all my computers the first card that produces audio is "card 1."
Therefore on my computers I can't do a Debian install since it grabs the
first device "card 0" and tries to play audio threw that device.
This should not be the case with a VM though. I've not tried a vm in
ages since I use Linux on all my computers.
Sample config file /etc/asound.conf

|pcm.!default { type hw card 1 } ctl.!default { type hw card 1 } |

Replace "card 1" with the number of your card determined above.

You could also et the order of the cards. The arch wiki has an entry for
alsa.

Alonzo
Øyvind Lode
2016-01-31 21:42:20 UTC
Hi:

Interesting.
I've only seen the problem I described on this particular machine.
I booted up the Talking Arch ISO inside the VM with the same sound
configuration (auto detect) and Arch came up with working sound.

I installed Debian testing on a physical machine earlier today and
that system came also up talking after installation.

Please let me know if I can provide something from the arch live image
to get sound working on Debian.

I indeed have sound working here now on Talking Arch.

Debian is my favourite distro and I would love to get it running on
this machine.
Chris Brannon
2016-02-02 03:05:21 UTC
Post by Øyvind Lode
Interesting.
I've only seen the problem I described on this particular machine.
I booted up the Talking Arch ISO inside the VM with the same sound
configuration (auto detect) and Arch came up with working sound.
I really see two possibilities here.
1. Sound is going to the wrong card, or
2. PulseAudio is causing problems.

Note HDMI is treated as a second card, and this has caused "no sound"
issues in Talking Arch in the past, hence it has the "select a card"
feature.

-- Chris
Kirk Reiser
2016-01-31 17:57:34 UTC
I haven't followed this thread closely but it definitely sounds like
an alsa issue from what you say. The most common devices that
contribute to sound output are Master, PCM and sometimes Front. You
have to give each of them a value and tell it to turn 'on' as
well. Something like:

amixer set PCM 95% on

As an example. The case of the device is important as well. If you've
already checked all these than I apologize for speaking out of turn.

Kirk

P.S. I'd remove pulseaudio also if I were you. My experience is it
causes a lot of headaches for no noticeable gain.
Post by Øyvind Lode
Um, probably obvious, but are the modules speakup and speakup_soft loaded?
$ lsmod | grep [s]peakup
speakup_soft 16384 1
speakup 102400 1 speakup_soft
$
And by the way espeakup daemon is also running.
Øyvind
Well that's it then, colour me secure!

Samuel Thibault
2016-02-01 07:43:50 UTC
Hello,
Post by Øyvind Lode
$ amixer scontents
Would you be able to get the output of this command when run from inside
the installer, so we may see if there is something different?

Samuel
Øyvind Lode
2016-02-01 11:30:51 UTC
Hi:

On 1 February 2016 at 08:43, Samuel Thibault
Post by Samuel Thibault
Hello,
Post by Øyvind Lode
$ amixer scontents
Would you be able to get the output of this command when run from inside
the installer, so we may see if there is something different?
Yes, screenshots attached.
I'm not sure wether the list accepts attachments though.
I sent this message to you privately as well if the list rejects the
attachments.

Øyvind
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-02 01:30:53 UTC
Hello,

So the differences with the installer case are the CD level which is 0,
you could try to raise it (gods know why it could matter, but well), and
the Capture level, which is 8 but was 0 in the installer, you could try
to lower it to 0, in case that matters.

Apart from that, I'm out of ideas.

Samuel
Øyvind Lode
2016-02-02 09:06:33 UTC
Hi:

On 2 February 2016 at 02:30, Samuel Thibault
Post by Samuel Thibault
Hello,
So the differences with the installer case are the CD level which is 0,
you could try to raise it (gods know why it could matter, but well), and
the Capture level, which is 8 but was 0 in the installer, you could try
to lower it to 0, in case that matters.
I did that but still no speech.
I even rebooted to start from scratch.
Post by Samuel Thibault
Apart from that, I'm out of ideas.
Me too!
However, I solved it! :)

I installed brltty via ssh and passed the display to the VM to be able
to read the console.

I logged in on the console and ran a sound test:

$ sound-test -c 2

I could indeed hear sound.

So, this tells me that sound channels is unmuted by the installer or a script.
I actually ran the test just after a reboot without doing anything with amixer.

Ok, I could hear sound but no speech.

What the heck?

So, I thought why don't I just try to restart espeakup?

$ systemctl restart espeakup

Wolla!

Speakup started talking!

I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade just to pull in new packages
(I'm running sid after all).

I got updates to some alsa packages.
Since this is a VM and a test machine I simply hit Y and enter.

I lost speech after the upgrade of alsa packages.
I'm not sure to blame the alsa upgrades because I believe there also
were some sound libraries upgraded.

I restarted espeakup again and speech was back.

I have now put the systemctl restart espeakup command in /etc/rc.local.

I have rebooted a couple of times for testing and I get speech every time.

Speakup/eSpeakup starts reading when the login prompt is displayed.

This makes sense since rc.local is started very late in the process.

Thanks!
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-02 09:35:13 UTC
Hello,
Post by Øyvind Lode
I have now put the systemctl restart espeakup command in /etc/rc.local.
Ok, this looks like a bug I noticed too. Please instead try to uncomment

export ALSA_CARD=0

in /etc/default/espeakup.

Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-02 09:38:00 UTC
Post by Samuel Thibault
Post by Øyvind Lode
I have now put the systemctl restart espeakup command in /etc/rc.local.
Ok, this looks like a bug I noticed too. Please instead try to uncomment
export ALSA_CARD=0
in /etc/default/espeakup.
Ooops, no, there is a bug in there, let me fix that first...

Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-02 09:39:10 UTC
Post by Samuel Thibault
Post by Samuel Thibault
Post by Øyvind Lode
I have now put the systemctl restart espeakup command in /etc/rc.local.
Ok, this looks like a bug I noticed too. Please instead try to uncomment
export ALSA_CARD=0
in /etc/default/espeakup.
Ooops, no, there is a bug in there, let me fix that first...
You can however try to put in there the name of the card (as shown in
the /sys/class/sound/card0/id file).

Samuel
Øyvind Lode