Raspberry Pi
Øyvind Lode
2017-03-16 12:46:17 UTC
Hi all:

I'm considering buying a raspberry pi just for the fun of playing with
a new device.
Which distro options do I have?
I need a working speakup with software speech.
On the x86 platform my distro of choice is Debian.
Will debian run on ARM and does the image contain speakup with
software speech as on x86?
And I assume there is several versions of the raspberry pi hardware?
I want the latest and greatest hardware.

Thanks,
Øyvind
Øyvind Lode
Øyvind
Kyle
2017-03-16 23:30:57 UTC
The Raspberry Pi3 is not really much better than the Pi2, because
although it has a 64-bit processor, the software and kernel doesn't take
advantage of the 64-bit optimizations, and the Debian flavor for the
Raspberry Pi, known as Raspbian, is from all I've read, only built for
earlier processors even than the Raspberry Pi 1, as it's apparently
armv5 compatible, whereas the Pi2 is armv7 and the Pi3 is in reality
aarch64. Couple that with the fact that the Raspberry Pi has to run from
slow MicroSD, and as far as I know, can't even take full advantage of
UHS1 or other advancements in the MicroSD specification that make it
faster or more reliable.

Your best experience would likely be running the 64-bit Odroid C2
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438
with either the Ubuntu, or rather I believe Ubuntu-MATE distribution
that comes with the optional eMMC module you can plug into it, or
possibly ArchLinuxARM
http://archlinuxarm.org/
These are true 64-bit single board computers with true 64-bit software
to match, and for only a slightly higher price than the Raspberry Pi3,
these have a much faster CPU and twice the RAM. The only trouble you may
have is the fact that Speakup isn't built into the kernel, as they don't
enable staging modules. But you can grab Fenrir from the Arch User
Repository or from
git clone https://github.com/chrys87/fenrir
and finally separate your screen reader from the kernel entirely. Yes,
you will need to get this stuff started over ssh, but you'll appreciate
the faster computer and the userspace screen reader. Hope this helps.
Sent from a meteorite that landed on Mars and started spewing out e-mail
messages at random
Gregory Nowak
2017-03-17 02:21:39 UTC
Post by Kyle
The Raspberry Pi3 is not really much better than the Pi2, because
although it has a 64-bit processor, the software and kernel doesn't
take advantage of the 64-bit optimizations, and the Debian flavor
for the Raspberry Pi, known as Raspbian, is from all I've read, only
built for earlier processors even than the Raspberry Pi 1, as it's
apparently armv5 compatible, whereas the Pi2 is armv7 and the Pi3 is
in reality aarch64.
While this is true for raspbian itself, there are in fact distros that
do have a kernel and userland built specifically for armhf/aarch64.

<https://news.opensuse.org/2016/12/05/opensuse-leap-42-2-gets-64-bit-raspberry-image/>

If you're into beta software, there's also:
<https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_beta/embedded/>

The devuan beta is stable, and runs well on the rpi3 over all. There
are however some issues specific to the 64-bit image for the
rpi3. For a beginner, I'd recommend raspbian over the devuan beta at
this time. You can also of course install a tool chain on your PC,
and build a 64-bit kernel and userland yourself if you're up for
it. There's also the raging debate on raspbian's forums whether or
not a 64-bit distro for the rpi3 is worth it, given the 1G of RAM.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Gregory Nowak
2017-03-17 02:52:51 UTC
Post by Gregory Nowak
While this is true for raspbian itself, there are in fact distros that
do have a kernel and userland built specifically for armhf/aarch64.
Oops, I meant to write:
While this is true for raspbian itself, there are in fact distros that
do have a kernel and userland built specifically for arm64/AArch64.

Greg

Gregory Nowak
2017-03-16 22:10:32 UTC
<http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions>
Post by Øyvind Lode
I need a working speakup with software speech.
On the x86 platform my distro of choice is Debian.
Will debian run on ARM and does the image contain speakup with
software speech as on x86?
Although the debian port for armhf will run on the latest and greatest
rpi, they don't have a kernel targeting the rpi3 specifically as far as I
know. So, if you want a debian-like distro, I suggest you start out
with raspbian. Speakup and espeakup aren't included by default. You'll
have to either ssh in, or use a serial to usb cable for the rpi, and
install them. One tip, if you're wanting software speech on the rpi,
get a usb sound card, since the on-board audio has issues as far as
software speech goes, and in general too.
Post by Øyvind Lode
And I assume there is several versions of the raspberry pi hardware?
I want the latest and greatest hardware.
You seem to have already answered this for yourself.

Greg