Anybody still use YASR
Zachary Kline
2016-08-18 03:30:50 UTC
Hi All,

SO I have recently decided to try using YASR for a bit, in hopes that it will play nicer with some unicode characters in games I’m interested in. Thus far, it surprisingly seems to be working.

I’m wondering if anybody else uses this program? It hasn’t been updated in quite a while, and I don’t know how long it will continue to work, but for now it’s running very nicely with my DecTalk USB.

Just curious,
Zack.
Brian Buhrow
2016-08-18 04:51:30 UTC
hello. Yes, I'm using Yasr on my NetBSD machines in conjunction with
the eflite software speech module, wich in turn works with the flite speech
engine. If I run screen under all of that, I get braille as well through
Brltty.

I've been using Yasr everyday since 2007. It's a very fine piece of
software.

-thanks
-Brian

On Aug 17, 8:30pm, Zachary Kline wrote:
} Subject: Anybody still use YASR
} SGkgQWxsLAoKU08gSSBoYXZlIHJlY2VudGx5IGRlY2lkZWQgdG8gdHJ5IHVzaW5nIFlBU1IgZm9y
} IGEgYml0LCBpbiBob3BlcyB0aGF0IGl0IHdpbGwgcGxheSBuaWNlciB3aXRoIHNvbWUgdW5pY29k
} ZSBjaGFyYWN0ZXJzIGluIGdhbWVzIEnigJltIGludGVyZXN0ZWQgaW4uIFRodXMgZmFyLCBpdCBz
} dXJwcmlzaW5nbHkgc2VlbXMgdG8gYmUgd29ya2luZy4KCknigJltIHdvbmRlcmluZyBpZiBhbnli
} b2R5IGVsc2UgdXNlcyB0aGlzIHByb2dyYW0/IEl0IGhhc27igJl0IGJlZW4gdXBkYXRlZCBpbiBx
} dWl0ZSBhIHdoaWxlLCBhbmQgSSBkb27igJl0IGtub3cgaG93IGxvbmcgaXQgd2lsbCBjb250aW51
} ZSB0byB3b3JrLCBidXQgZm9yIG5vdyBpdOKAmXMgcnVubmluZyB2ZXJ5IG5pY2VseSB3aXRoIG15
} IERlY1RhbGsgVVNCLgoKSnVzdCBjdXJpb3VzLApaYWNrLgpfX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19f
} X19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fX19fXwpTcGVha3VwIG1haWxpbmcgbGlzdApTcGVha3VwQGxp
} bnV4LXNwZWFrdXAub3JnCmh0dHA6Ly9saW51eC1zcGVha3VwLm9yZy9jZ2ktYmluL21haWxtYW4v
} bGlzdGluZm8vc3BlYWt1cAo=
-- End of excerpt from Zachary Kline
Mike Keithley
2016-08-18 09:01:55 UTC
What does Yasr do?

Zachary Kline
2016-08-18 13:45:20 UTC
It’s a screen reader. The abbreviation stands for “yet another screen reader.”

http://yasr.sourceforge.net
What does Yasr do?
Littlefield, Tyler
2016-08-18 12:06:55 UTC
Hello,
I've tried to use this to get a screen reader in FreeBSD, but it
appears to be broken and doesn't work as the docs say it should. at
some point I would like to debug.
Post by Zachary Kline
Hi All,
SO I have recently decided to try using YASR for a bit, in hopes
that it will play nicer with some unicode characters in games I’m
interested in. Thus far, it surprisingly seems to be working.
I’m wondering if anybody else uses this program? It hasn’t been
updated in quite a while, and I don’t know how long it will
continue to work, but for now it’s running very nicely with my
DecTalk USB.
Just curious, Zack.
- --
Take care,
Ty
Twitter: @sorressean
Web: https://tysdomain.com
Pubkey: https://tysdomain.com/files/pubkey.asc
Hart Larry
2016-08-18 15:19:50 UTC
You know, its funny I never saw an orriginal message in this thread until
LittleField's reply. An author of YASR, Mike did try-and-help me several years
ago, when I was in Fedora, but we could not get it running with my DecTalk U S
B. I would sure love to. Also once I switched from a Dec PC to this U S B
Jupiter wouldn't work.
Hart
Zachary Kline
2016-08-18 15:26:47 UTC

I’m actually just using the DecTalk USB in serial mode. I hear there’s supposedly a developer’s kit available from Access Solutions. I wonder if it has enough information for somebody (not me), to write a native USB driver for Speakup.

Note that I’m using the device with a USB serial port, because this is a new laptop and doesn’t seem to have a physical one.
Good luck,
Zack.
Jude DaShiell
2016-08-18 14:01:12 UTC
I have a litetalk synthesizer and wouldn't mind trying yasr out if I
could get it talking to the litetalk. It's not available on archlinux,
but I have no objection to building from source code.
KatolaZ
2016-08-22 17:14:45 UTC
I have a litetalk synthesizer and wouldn't mind trying yasr out if I could
get it talking to the litetalk. It's not available on archlinux, but I have
no objection to building from source code.
Just for the record, yasr is available on the last version of Devuan
Minimal Live:

http://kalos.mine.nu/

Hope this helps.

HND

KatolaZ
--
[ ~.,_ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ - GLUGCT -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ "+. katolaz [at] freaknet.org --- katolaz [at] yahoo.it ]
[ (@@@) Twitter: @KatolaZ - skype: katolaz -- github: KatolaZ ]
Jude DaShiell
KatolaZ
2016-08-23 06:42:33 UTC
If enough of eflite is also on that distro, I can also see if yasr can get
to my sound card too. Thanks.
Sorry, but since that one is intended to be a minimal live distro,
there is no emacspeak support, at the moment. However, we have plans
to put together a slightly fatter live image with full support for
emacspeak, festival, and the like. Suggestion and comments are welcome.

HND

KatolaZ
Gregory Nowak
2016-08-23 19:55:58 UTC
Post by KatolaZ
Sorry, but since that one is intended to be a minimal live distro,
there is no emacspeak support, at the moment. However, we have plans
to put together a slightly fatter live image with full support for
emacspeak, festival, and the like. Suggestion and comments are welcome.
The flite package is actually a smaller version of festival, unrelated
to emacspeak. Together with libflite1 (one of its dependencies), it
would work out to an installed size of a bit over 20M, and that would
probably make it too large for the devuan minimal image.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
KatolaZ
2016-08-23 20:40:59 UTC
Post by Gregory Nowak
Post by KatolaZ
Sorry, but since that one is intended to be a minimal live distro,
there is no emacspeak support, at the moment. However, we have plans
to put together a slightly fatter live image with full support for
emacspeak, festival, and the like. Suggestion and comments are welcome.
The flite package is actually a smaller version of festival, unrelated
to emacspeak. Together with libflite1 (one of its dependencies), it
would work out to an installed size of a bit over 20M, and that would
probably make it too large for the devuan minimal image.
Sorry for the ignorance and thanks for the clarification. I supposed
that the point was to have eflite, that's why I mentioned emacspeak.
20M is not too large for the minimal live image. I would anyway need
from you some advice about which packages are requires in order to
make flite useful.

HND

KatolaZ
Gregory Nowak
2016-08-23 22:18:28 UTC
Post by KatolaZ
Sorry for the ignorance and thanks for the clarification. I supposed
that the point was to have eflite, that's why I mentioned emacspeak.
My understanding is that the OP wanted flite, so he could use yasr
with it.
Post by KatolaZ
20M is not too large for the minimal live image. I would anyway need
from you some advice about which packages are requires in order to
make flite useful.
Well, yasr is one. The other packages I can think of besides that are
emacspeak, and speech-dispatcher. If there are others, hopefully
someone will mention them.

Greg

Jude DaShiell
2016-08-24 11:37:16 UTC
Don't quote me on this, but I think once eflite and yasr are talking
together it would work with emacspeak if emacspeak were on the distro
but would also run the console without emacspeak. I almost got eflite
working on talkingarch but the voice it was looking to use wasn't
available.
KatolaZ
2016-08-24 12:43:43 UTC
Post by Jude DaShiell
Don't quote me on this, but I think once eflite and yasr are talking
together it would work with emacspeak if emacspeak were on the distro but
would also run the console without emacspeak. I almost got eflite working
on talkingarch but the voice it was looking to use wasn't available.
Thanks Jude,

the problem is that emacspeak pulls in ways too much for a minimal
live distro, except we stick to emacs-nox, which might be easy to
include and just enough for the task. Would it make sense to try to
include emacs-nox, emacspeak, and eflite in Devuan minimal live then?
If yes, I will put it in the todo list :)

HND

KatolaZ
Chris Brannon
2016-08-24 12:58:14 UTC
Post by KatolaZ
Thanks Jude,
the problem is that emacspeak pulls in ways too much for a minimal
live distro, except we stick to emacs-nox, which might be easy to
include and just enough for the task. Would it make sense to try to
include emacs-nox, emacspeak, and eflite in Devuan minimal live then?
If yes, I will put it in the todo list :)
You know what? The Emacspeak espeak server also works with yasr, and it
can be built independently of the rest of Emacspeak. The only
dependencies it pulls are tcl, tclx, and espeak. I think this is like 5
or 6 megs, not including espeak.
You're already pulling in espeak,, so tcl and tclx aren't such a big
deal, I think.
Problem is, the espeak server isn't packaged separately in Debian, even
though it can be built separately.
Anyway, Emacspeak itself is just fine with emacs-nox.

-- Chris
Jude DaShiell
KatolaZ
2016-08-24 13:38:34 UTC
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 05:58:14AM -0700, Chris Brannon wrote:

[cut]
Post by Chris Brannon
You know what? The Emacspeak espeak server also works with yasr, and it
can be built independently of the rest of Emacspeak. The only
dependencies it pulls are tcl, tclx, and espeak. I think this is like 5
or 6 megs, not including espeak.
You're already pulling in espeak,, so tcl and tclx aren't such a big
deal, I think.
Problem is, the espeak server isn't packaged separately in Debian, even
though it can be built separately.
Anyway, Emacspeak itself is just fine with emacs-nox.
Yes, but I would like to avoid repackaging stuff, if possible :) I
think that emacspeak + emacs-nox is absolutely doable. Espeak and
espeakup are already in the Devuan minimal live images anyway, and
adding tcl and tclx shouldn't be a massive problem.

I will keep you posted with any updates :)

Thanks

KatolaZ
Jude DaShiell
2016-08-24 13:14:23 UTC
emacspeak will work with emacs or emacs-nox. I prefer to use emacs-nox
on a system unless I'm going to try to go graphical and my graphical
attempts have been singularly unsuccessful to date.
Alonzo Cuellar
2016-08-24 13:15:29 UTC
I've tried emacs with a graphical end. If you have emacspeak to load in
your ~/.emacs it will load in the x environment and will speak to you.

I'm not an emacs user... But I thought I'd share my findings.

In my ~/.emacs I have the following

(load-file "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el")

Once then if I open emacs in x it starts speaking.

I also have the DTK_PROGRAM=espeak

in ~/.bashrc

Alonzo