Installing Debian Jessie under Uefi; installer does not speak
Marcel Oats
2015-12-31 19:48:25 UTC
Hi, this has probably been asked previously: I have a system that will only
boot using Uefi (don't ask) and it seems that the dvd's boot screen appears,
according to someone with sight, but when typing the s option, it is
ignored? The installer appears, and indeed the installation can be completed
with a braille display. Oh, when a USB soundcard is connected (just in case
the system's card isn't detected) no sound is heard either.

Speakup comes up on a machine that has legacy boot available, and indeed, we
even get the beep from the boot loader. How can we get speakup to run during
the installer, assuming that such an option is available anyway?

The image was downloaded from the website, and was located at
http://gemmei.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/8.2.0/amd64/iso-dvd/
Sorry to sound dum and so forth.
Marcel
Glenn
2015-12-31 20:01:58 UTC
I just got a new computer with UEFI, and I used sighted assistance to
disable it in the BIOS, and to activate legacy boot.
Also, if you want to change the boot order, such as setting the SATA drive
as the last option, you can do that at this time, and with some systems, it
will not show other options unless you have them plugged in at this time.
For example, I did not have the SD boot option until I went into boot
settings in BIOS with the SD card plugged in.
HTH.
Glenn

Jude DaShiell
Steve Matzura
2016-01-02 15:51:47 UTC
Post by Glenn
I just got a new computer with UEFI, and I used sighted assistance to
disable it in the BIOS, and to activate legacy boot.
I'd sure love to know how to do that on this ASRock motherboard I
bought used from a friend.
Post by Glenn
Also, if you want to change the boot order, such as setting the SATA drive
as the last option, you can do that at this time, and with some systems, it
will not show other options unless you have them plugged in at this time.
For example, I did not have the SD boot option until I went into boot
settings in BIOS with the SD card plugged in.
Yes, that's what's going on with this ASRock board. In fact, the
option for booting from it even shows the specific drive name and
type, and the specific USB port to which it is connected.
Glenn
2016-01-02 16:00:51 UTC
If it is not in the BIOS, I would search on-line for a BIOS upgrade and you
may get the option to turn it off.
Samuel Thibault
2015-12-31 20:21:13 UTC
Hello,
Nope. I only happened to stumble on it too by chance.
I have a system that will only boot using Uefi (don't ask) and it
seems that the dvd's boot screen appears, according to someone with
sight, but when typing the s option, it is ignored?
Indeed, nobody reported before that this wasn't working. This got fixed
lately (see debian bug #798908), but not before 8.2.0 got released. The
fix should be available in 8.3.0 and 9.0.

In the meanwhile, you can press <end> <enter> since the speech boot
entry is always last in the menu.

Thanks for the report anyway, always better to report a bug which
happened to be fixed already than risking that it has never been fixed.

Samuel
Marcel Oats
2015-12-31 21:02:17 UTC
Excellent, will grab that version of the installer today, thanks for the reply.
Marcel

Samuel Thibault
2015-12-31 21:39:35 UTC
Post by Marcel Oats
Excellent, will grab that version of the installer today,
They don't exist yet. 8.3.0 is the future jessie point-release, and 9.0
will be Stretch. Thus the workaround for now, <end> <enter>

Samuel
Marcel Oats
2016-01-01 06:38:57 UTC
Ah ok,.
Marcel

Steve Matzura
2016-01-02 15:51:48 UTC
Post by Marcel Oats
I have a system that will only boot using Uefi (don't ask) and it
seems that the dvd's boot screen appears, according to someone with
sight, but when typing the s option, it is ignored?
Indeed, nobody reported before that this wasn't working. This got fixed lately (see debian bug #798908), but not before 8.2.0 got released. The fix should be available in 8.3.0 and 9.0.
I haven't seen 8.3.0 (not to mention 9) out yet. Do you know when that
might happen? I like to keep my media and torrents up-to-date.
Samuel Thibault
2016-01-02 17:28:56 UTC
Post by Steve Matzura
Post by Marcel Oats
I have a system that will only boot using Uefi (don't ask) and it
seems that the dvd's boot screen appears, according to someone with
sight, but when typing the s option, it is ignored?
Indeed, nobody reported before that this wasn't working. This got fixed lately (see debian bug #798908), but not before 8.2.0 got released. The fix should be available in 8.3.0 and 9.0.
I haven't seen 8.3.0 (not to mention 9) out yet.
As said in another mail, they don't exist yet.
Post by Steve Matzura
Do you know when that might happen? I like to keep my media and
torrents up-to-date.
9 is expected about beginning of 2017. 8.3 will probably get out soon,
since 8.2 was in september.

Samuel