Help with serial synths in 4.X kernels
Tony Baechler
2016-02-23 13:45:19 UTC
Hello all,

This is probably for Samuel, but I thought I would ask here in hopes that
others might have suggestions. I'm trying to compile 4.X kernels
(specifically 4.3.3) with working serial synth support, but so far no luck.
I've seen several patches posted here by Samuel, but I don't know if they've
been accepted into staging. I pulled a recent staging snapshot and copied
the speakup directory over that supplied with kernel 4.3.3 in Debian. The
kernel didn't compile, giving an error that screen_pos is undefined. I
copied main.c from the 4.3.3 source which fixes the problem, but loading the
speakup_dectlk module results in silence. It seems that it still won't
access the serial port, even if I include ser=0 on the command line. I also
tried applying John's patch to the vanilla 4.3.3 sources. Again, it
compiled, but loading speakup_dectlk locked up the machine. I tried
4.4.0-trunk-amd64 from Debian without success.

Is there a diff with all of the Speakup patches posted to date which I can
apply to the kernel sources? Is there any chance that Debian will pick up
these patches soon since they apparently haven't made it to the official
staging tree? Am I missing something obvious? Samuel, would you please post
a file with all of your patches so far in a central location to make them
easier to find?

For the record, John's build instructions don't work on recent kernels. I've
found that the following steps seem to work better:

1. Install the "linux-source" and "make-kpkg" packages.

2. Change to /usr/src/ which should have a tar.bz2 or tar.xz file with the
source. Extract the source which should create a linux-source-X.Y.Z directory.

3. Change to linux-source-X.Y.Z.

4. As root or with sudo, run the following:

make-kpkg --initrd buildpackage

Note that on Ubuntu, you'll run into problems with .config missing. Debian
packages don't seem to have this problem, but to be safe, copy a config.*
file to .config in the linux-source directory. Apply any Speakup patches
before running make-kpkg. On an Intel I7 with 32 GB of memory, the build
process takes about three hours and builds several .deb packages.
--
Tony Baechler, founder, Baechler Access Technology Services
Putting accessibility at the forefront of technology
Phone: 1-619-746-8310 SMS text: 1-619-375-2545
John G Heim
2016-02-23 14:31:47 UTC
You should check the syslog. There are almost certainly messages in
there reporting what is happening. I'll try to compile 4.3 kernels for
ubuntu and debian over the next few days. I had planned to automate the
process. Every time my ubuntu machines download a new kernel, generate a
new patched kernel package. I never got around to it though. I was using
a sed command to comment out the line that caused serial synths to not
work so that automation was possible. Part of the problem here is that I
have kind of given up on serial synths myself. I have been depending
more and more on the combination of a braille display and software
speech. It seems to me that using a hardware speech synth is going
against the grain these days.
Hello all,
.deb packages.
Al Sten-Clanton

Tony Baechler
2016-02-24 14:29:43 UTC
You should check the syslog. There are almost certainly messages in there
reporting what is happening. I'll try to compile 4.3 kernels for ubuntu and
debian over the next few days. I had planned to automate the process. Every
time my ubuntu machines download a new kernel, generate a new patched kernel
package. I never got around to it though. I was using a sed command to
comment out the line that caused serial synths to not work so that
automation was possible. Part of the problem here is that I have kind of
given up on serial synths myself. I have been depending more and more on the
combination of a braille display and software speech. It seems to me that
using a hardware speech synth is going against the grain these days.
As Karen and others have pointed out, we all have our own personal speech
preferences. In my case, I have multiple reasons for wanting serial speech
to work. I find it easier to hear and understand for one thing. There are
some bugs in the DECtalk Express module which might be easily fixed, but the
last unpatched kernel I know of that actually worked was 2.6.32 which is no
longer supported. Anyway, as requested, here is the dmesg output. I don't
see anything helpful. I did the following:

service espeakup stop
rmmod speakup_soft
modprobe speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup

[ 11.336314] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
[ 11.336325] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[ 27.013903] releasing synth soft
[ 27.013975] unregistered /dev/softsynth
[ 32.824006] speakup: unregistering synth device /dev/synth
[ 56.630004] speakup: module is from the staging directory, the quality is
unknown, you have been warned.
[ 56.630896] input: Speakup as /devices/virtual/input/input7
[ 56.631031] initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
[ 56.631055] speakup 3.1.6: initialized
[ 56.631057] synth name on entry is: dectlk
[ 56.639855] speakup_dectlk: module is from the staging directory, the
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 56.640036] synth probe
[ 56.640039] Ports not available, trying to steal them
[ 56.640042] Unable to allocate port at 3f8, errno -16
[ 56.640044] Dectalk Express: not found
[ 56.640045] dectlk: device probe failed
[ 67.012005] speakup: unregistering synth device /dev/synth
[ 70.985966] speakup: module is from the staging directory, the quality is
unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.986851] input: Speakup as /devices/virtual/input/input8
[ 70.986983] initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
[ 70.987006] speakup 3.1.6: initialized
[ 70.987008] synth name on entry is: dectlk
[ 70.987055] speakup_soft: module is from the staging directory, the
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.987193] synth probe
[ 70.987230] initialized device: /dev/softsynth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 26)
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-02-24 15:31:10 UTC
Your output indicates you don't have the return null commented out, this
is why you are not getting speech.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
John G Heim
2016-02-24 15:44:51 UTC
Well, first of all, I didn't mean to say you shouldn't use a serial
hardware synth. However,IMO, you would be wise to consider contingency
plans. If your livelihood depends on that serial synth, you'd be wise to
begin examining your alternatives.

Also, I can't promise to debug the kernel code. When I said check the
syslog, I meant for you to check the syslog. If I can find the time to
take a look at it, I certainly will but I can't promise that. I suspect
that what's happening is that when speakup tries to "steal" the serial
port, the return value is no longer just null. When I last traced back
the functions that speakup was calling to steal the serial port, it was
bullstuff. Speakup called a function that did nothing -- which isn't the
fault of the speakup developers. I suspect that those functions now do
something -- probably not what we want but something.

It has probably been a year since I last posted a rant on this list
about the linux kernel developers. As I write this, I find myself
getting all worked up about it again. The one good thing about Trump
running for President is that now I have someone I find more arrogant
and irritating than the linux kernel development team.
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-02-24 15:53:15 UTC
So as a temporary workaround for this, I just comment out the return
null statement when speakup can't steal the port back, and so we have
speech. We can't reload another module in this case, but we do have
speech.

***@ccs.covici.com
John G Heim
2016-02-24 17:31:45 UTC
Well, as I said, I've been relying more and more upon a braille display
and software speech.

I can't say it's unfair to say linux is no better than Microsoft because
I think in this context, it's comparing apples and oranges. IMO, it's
neiher fair or unfair. It's like saying a dolphin is no better than an
oak tree. Well, at what? If you want linux to do something, you have to
do it yourself or maybe pay someone to do it for you.
On the other hand, I would say that developers are ethically required to
allow accessibility software to work with their code and the linux
kernel developers have been woefully inadequate in that regard. A year
or two ago, I took the time to drill down through the functions the
speakup code was calling to "steal" the serial port. I found it led to a
function inside the main kernel code (not in staging) that could never
return a success. I asked about it on the kernel developers list. If
speakup isn't accessing the serial port the right way, what is the right
way? The answers I got were BS. The speakup code is not very well
written, the whole thing should be moved to user space, etc. My reaction
was like, okay, maybe, but can someone please answer the question? But
apparently not. It was infuriating. That's when I started posting
kernels with the function call commented out.

The whole thing just makes no sense. Why even include code that is
deliberately disabled? Samuel is probably freaking out if he has read
this far. Someone, probably him, went through a lot of work just to get
speakup in staging. And, after all, software speech does work. That is
not trivial.
May i ask how one finds contingency plans for your ears, your brain,
and your processing? smiles.
I am not following this debate closely, but it certainly supports my
worries about Linux as a main computing solution. If someone is going
to remove the door to functionality, or decide for me how I personally
accommodate my body differences, then they are no different than say
Microsoft.
Access is a human right in some places, not a feature.
defining that access begins and ends with the individual, which is why
the best access uses a foundation allowing for many ways in so to speak.
Going back to the corner now,
Kare
2016-02-24 17:53:21 UTC
I got a more definite answer from someone in kernel development -- I
cannot remember who -- but he said that the serial driver should be
written like a hardware device driver and obey all the appropriate
protocols thereof, so if we can figure out, say, how the uart driver
registers the port and have the speakup driver do the exact same thing,
maybe this would work much better.

***@ccs.covici.com
John G Heim
2016-02-24 23:00:36 UTC
It seems to me that a hardware speech synth isn't that different from a
serial console. All you have to do to listen to boot messages is to
configure a serial console in your boot loader and plug your serial
synth into that same serial port. The problem would be with controlling
it with the keyboard. A hardware speech synth has no keyboard. So you'd
want the normal virtual console, tty0, to control what's sent to the
serial port. The kernel specifications say that keyboard input is taken
from the last console configured. Also, stdio and stderr are sent to
the last console configured. What we'd want is a console type exactly
like tty0 except that it also has the code from a serial console that
send text out over the serial port. I am not sure how much control you
have over the text that scrolls by on the screen with a virtual console.
You'd need to add speakup control keystrokes like numpad-7 to speak the
previous line, numpad-5 to speak the current word, etc.
2016-02-25 12:03:10 UTC
I don't think that will work well, too many differences between what we
need and the console driver -- this is how I did the first serial driver
for speakup, back in the day, but I had to patch some kernel modules and
changes since then make it not worth doing that way, or maybe it would
be impossible to do it that way.

***@ccs.covici.com
John G Heim
2016-02-24 19:05:14 UTC
Karen, suggesting one workaround for the problems with serial synths in
speakup does not imply that I am forgetting the basic needs of my fellow
human beings. That's ridiculous. Nothing I said implies in any way that
getting your hands on a braille display is a solution that works for
everyone.

Maybe the concept of open source is unclear but the truth is that you,
Karen, are as responsible as anyone on this list for the speakup code.
Why don't you rewrite it yourself? If you say you can't do that, would
it be fair for me to accuse you of losing track of the basic needs of
your fellow humans?
I respect that you feel your stance and your work is important. I
agree on Samuel, he has given a grand deal, providing much talent to
this effort as well.
However, speaking only for myself, I do not find the suggestion that
what you are using applies to anyone else making a great deal of
sense...there is only one of you.
Speaking only for myself, I am amazed how these projects have come
together forgetting the most fundamental thing about the people using
them.
You are talking of humans, millions of them, and all humans learn
differently. You are using a braille display and software speech.
that is fine, but what if the person using the screen reader is doing
so because they have a learning disability instead?
a large percentage of the population that can benefit from speech.
what if they are in the sight loss majority, not braille users, or
have no access to a display....costly are they not? what if they, as
I know can be the case, find software speech impossible to hear and
understand?
What if they are managing a combination of print challenges? I can go
on and on. Believe me i resonate with the challenges of getting a good
answer out of the larger Linux community...I have been working on a
really functional Linux box for a good decade or more at least.
Still there are some who hold Linux out as a better alternative to say
using other low graphics options, like DOS...and you indicate here
that the suggestion may not be reasonable, unless you are willing and
able to build the house yourself. You must be a programmer before
you can fully have the program. I cannot say this is necessary using
dos for sure.
I can say, speaking only for myself though that thinking everyone
sharing a label with you is just like you prevents talent from being
used for a greater and flexible solution across low graphics platforms.
Or even more graphical ones for that matter.
I grant you my Microsoft comparison may not be fair. Save the same
kind of arrogance you found in the Linux community has been mirrored
in the windows one on many occasions.
I sincerely wish you success finding a real solution. Tony as well.
However, if anyone starts to wonder why I personally will choose ssh
TELNET into any Linux structure from outside, I can point to this
entire thread, smiles.
Thanks for engaging with me,
Karen
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
is no longer supported. Anyway, as requested, here is the dmesg
output. I
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
service espeakup stop
rmmod speakup_soft
modprobe speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.987193] synth probe
[ 70.987230] initialized device: /dev/softsynth, node (MAJOR
10, > > MINOR
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
26)
John G Heim
2016-02-24 21:46:04 UTC
karen, it's reasonable for me to assume that you are a speakup user
since you're on this list. As a user of speakup, you are as responsible
as anybody for the code. That's what open source is.

You need to understand that when you say something like, "without
considering the variations in how individuals learn", that sure sounds
like an accusation. It sounds like you are accusing someone, presumably
me, of failing to consider variations in how individuals learn. Surely,
you can understand how I'd take it that way, right? But nothing I've
said implies that.
Look, I get it. I know how expensive braille displays are. ButI wasn't
saying that if you don't like speakup, tough luck, just go out and buy
yourself a braille display. It is just one possible solution.

By the way, I'm not totally ignorant of the different ways people learn.
And I happen to know that a lot of your objections to my suggestion that
a braille display might be one solution are pretty bogus. People with
cognitive disabilities on top of being blind often prefer a braille display.
I made no such accusation.
I stated that speaking only for myself, I am surprised how such
projects come together without considering the variations in how
individuals learn, access, and use technologies.
You suggested that others should make contingency plans, assuming that
such plans were a possibility, otherwise why would you suggest as much.
I am not sure why I am responsible for a code, just because I occupy a
list. does that make me responsible for Google's access choices, or
Apples, just because I am a list member?
Why does my presence on a list make me responsible for the content of
the speakup code?
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
best access uses a foundation allowing for many ways in so to
speak.
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Going back to the corner now,
Kare
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
is no longer supported. Anyway, as requested, here is the
dmesg > > > > output. I
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
service espeakup stop
rmmod speakup_soft
modprobe speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.987193] synth probe
[ 70.987230] initialized device: /dev/softsynth, node
(MAJOR > > 10, > > MINOR
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
26)
Gregory Nowak
2016-02-26 20:37:58 UTC
Your presence on a list does not make you responsible for code; it is
the license under which the code is released that makes us all
responsible for it. I think I see what John is getting at, so let me
try to explain. Free software is exactly that, free software. That
means that everyone is welcome to modify it, and release the
modifications back to the community. Since the speakup patches are
licensed under the GPL, they are free software. That means that all of
us regardless of presence on this list, regardless of ability or
disability are responsible for it.

Let me try to put this a different way. As citizens in a democracy, we're responsible
for what our government does. The majority of us don't run for office,
though most of us could do so. The majority of us aren't programmers,
though there is nothing stopping most of us from learning to
code. When we vote for a candidate, we are giving our support for that
candidate to govern on our behalf. When we use a given piece of free
software, we are taking an interest in it. Some could say that because
they don't vote, they aren't responsible for how a country is
governed. That's not correct; by not voting, a person is simply voting
for whatever the majority wants. Some could say that because I don't
like how a piece of free software works, I am not going to use
it. That still means that others are using that software, and are
deciding where that software goes as a majority. Admittedly my analogy
probably isn't perfect, but I do feel it's still very close. I hope
why we're all ultimately responsible for speakup makes more sense now.

Greg
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
best access uses a foundation allowing for many ways in so to speak.
Post by Tony Baechler
Going back to the corner now,
Kare
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
is no longer supported. Anyway, as requested, here is
the dmesg > > > > output. I
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
service espeakup stop
rmmod speakup_soft
modprobe speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
[ 11.336314] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: link up
link > > becomes > > ready
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.987193] synth probe
[ 70.987230] initialized device: /dev/softsynth,
node (MAJOR > > 10, > > MINOR
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
26)
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Scott Henning
2016-02-26 22:28:41 UTC
Hello all,

This was quite a thread. I am usually only reading, since I have yet to
make Speakup work for long and I need to keep Windows going to have
work. My thanks to all for the technical and philosophical insights. I
stay on the list because my needs may change and a console with speech
strikes me as a practical way to use a computer. Braille is not my
strong point and I would flounder using it, but appreciate that it is
also a possible future solution.

I remember the dialogue to work with the kernel developers and the
response. My sense is that everyone is busy and most of this
development is done as volunteers. That applies to both Speakup and the
kernel. Or is development on the kernel done by paid programmers?

All I have to say is thanks to all who are passionate and dedicated to
Speakup and Linux to keep working on it. It gives me hope I will be able
to use it when I am ready, because there will be this pool of code
contributed on this project.

Sincerely,

Scott
--
Scott D. Henning
***@durango.net
Durango, Colorado 81302
Al Sten-Clanton
2016-02-27 00:45:23 UTC
I think Greg's description of responsibility below is too broad, but at
the very least, many of us can be responsible for the shapes of our
suggestions and complaints, and for what we expect or insist on from
others. Beyond that, responsibility is a more nuanced animal.

Al
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
best access uses a foundation allowing for many ways in so to speak.
Post by Tony Baechler
Going back to the corner now,
Kare
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
is no longer supported. Anyway, as requested, here is
the dmesg > > > > output. I
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
service espeakup stop
rmmod speakup_soft
modprobe speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.987193] synth probe
[ 70.987230] initialized device: /dev/softsynth,
node (MAJOR > > 10, > > MINOR
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
26)
John G Heim
2016-02-29 16:17:36 UTC
Well, I agree with your point but that was not the point I was making
exactly. My point, in fact, kind of depends on you already believing
that as a user, you are as responsible for the code as anybody. What I
said was that people appear to be voting with their feet with respect to
speakup. You could say that's not true or you could say we need to turn
that around somehow. But it's wrong to say that it means I don't care.
Of course I care.

PS: There is a book on bookshare on writing linux device drivers. It
looks like it's pretty much the same process it was when I was doing it
20 years ago.
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
best access uses a foundation allowing for many ways in so to speak.
Post by Tony Baechler
Going back to the corner now,
Kare
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
is no longer supported. Anyway, as requested, here is
the dmesg > > > > output. I
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
service espeakup stop
rmmod speakup_soft
modprobe speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup_dectlk
rmmod speakup
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 70.987193] synth probe
[ 70.987230] initialized device: /dev/softsynth,
node (MAJOR > > 10, > > MINOR
Post by John G Heim
Post by John G Heim
Post by Tony Baechler
26)
Jude DaShiell
2016-02-25 04:32:43 UTC
hardware speech synthesizers will be available into the future since
they're used in too many commercial applications to stop producing them.
The RC systems where the litetalk comes from still sells litetalk
serial and I think usb synthesizers and the prices for these the last
time I checked was about $190.00 less than I paid for my original
synthesizer something like $350.00 many years ago. Hospitals use
hardware speech synthesizers to direct patients when certain diagnostic
tests and treatments get done.
John G Heim
2016-02-23 15:05:22 UTC
Do you have the serialio.c patched to comment out the return null in
around line 42? I am running successfully using 4.1.15 kernel, I have
not checked the 4.3 series as I want to run lts ones only.

***@ccs.covici.com
Tony Baechler
2016-02-24 11:28:35 UTC
First, 4.3 is considered stable which is why I picked it. We're already up
to 4.3.3 which fixes bugs in earlier 4.3.X releases. Second, I'm not sure
which patch you mean, but if you're referring to John's patch on his build
instructions page which modifies serialio.c, yes, I applied it first to the
vanilla sources and it locked up the machine. I didn't apply it after
backporting the latest Speakup source from the staging tree because I didn't
think it was necessary. I think some of Samuel's patches didn't get
accepted, thus leaving serial synth support still broken.
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-02-24 14:22:58 UTC
First, 4.3 is not lts according to the kernel.org webpage.

The patch I mean is the one I described, this has nothing to do with
building packages, I am talking about modifying serialio.c to comment
out the return NULL statement. I don't build any packages, I just
compile myself.

***@ccs.covici.com
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-26 01:41:22 UTC
Hello,
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Do you have the serialio.c patched to comment out the return null in
around line 42?
Just wondering...

Is it known that passing

8250.nr_uarts=0

as a kernel command-line parameter has actually the same effect? It'll
just prevent the normal serial driver from taking the ports, and thus
speakup will not have any trouble accessing them.

About the patches I have sent to the linux kernel mailing list, only the
attached one is needed to fix serial port access.

About proper serial port access, somebody from the Outreachy intern
program is currently having a look.

Samuel
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-02-27 00:34:30 UTC
But even with your patch, serial port access is not available with
speakup. Also, if you set 8250.nr_uarts=0 what happens to other serial
ports you may need for modems, or other applications?
Post by Samuel Thibault
Hello,
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Do you have the serialio.c patched to comment out the return null in
around line 42?
Just wondering...
Is it known that passing
8250.nr_uarts=0
as a kernel command-line parameter has actually the same effect? It'll
just prevent the normal serial driver from taking the ports, and thus
speakup will not have any trouble accessing them.
About the patches I have sent to the linux kernel mailing list, only the
attached one is needed to fix serial port access.
About proper serial port access, somebody from the Outreachy intern
program is currently having a look.
Samuel
Subject: [PATCH] Staging: speakup: Fix getting port information
Commit f79b0d9c223c ("staging: speakup: Fixed warning <linux/serial.h>
instead of <asm/serial.h>") broke the port information in the speakup
driver: SERIAL_PORT_DFNS only gets defined if asm/serial.h is included,
and no other header includes asm/serial.h.
We here make sure serialio.c does get the arch-specific definition of
SERIAL_PORT_DFNS from asm/serial.h, if any.
Along the way, this makes sure that we do have information for the
requested serial port number (index)
Fixes: f79b0d9c223c ("staging: speakup: Fixed warning <linux/serial.h> instead of <asm/serial.h>")
--- a/drivers/staging/speakup/serialio.c
+++ b/drivers/staging/speakup/serialio.c
@@ -6,6 +6,11 @@
#include "spk_priv.h"
#include "serialio.h"
+#include <linux/serial_core.h>
+/* WARNING: Do not change this to <linux/serial.h> without testing that
+ * SERIAL_PORT_DFNS does get defined to the appropriate value. */
+#include <asm/serial.h>
+
#ifndef SERIAL_PORT_DFNS
#define SERIAL_PORT_DFNS
#endif
@@ -23,9 +28,15 @@ const struct old_serial_port *spk_serial
int baud = 9600, quot = 0;
unsigned int cval = 0;
int cflag = CREAD | HUPCL | CLOCAL | B9600 | CS8;
- const struct old_serial_port *ser = rs_table + index;
+ const struct old_serial_port *ser;
int err;
+ if (index >= ARRAY_SIZE(rs_table)) {
+ pr_info("no port info for ttyS%d\n", index);
+ return NULL;
+ }
+ ser = rs_table + index;
+
/* Divisor, bytesize and parity */
quot = ser->baud_base / baud;
cval = cflag & (CSIZE | CSTOPB);
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
Samuel Thibault
2016-02-27 21:07:13 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
But even with your patch, serial port access is not available with
speakup.
Yes, you also need to prevent the conflict between the 8250 driver and
the speakup driver.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Also, if you set 8250.nr_uarts=0 what happens to other serial
ports you may need for modems, or other applications?
They won't be available.

I'm sorry, but until somebody actually gets to take the time to
implement solutions, that's all we have.

Samuel
John G Heim
2016-03-04 19:50:31 UTC
Samuel,

Is your patch supposed to take the place of that lame patch I used to
post that just commented out the return code? I cant get my tripletalk
hardware speech synth to work. I edited /default/grub and added"

8250.nr_uarts=0". Then I compiled a kernel with your patch and installed it. But saying "modprobe speakup_ltlk" doesn't work and generates error messages in the syslog. I've cut/pasted them below. I am guessing the key line is the one that says, " Unable to allocate port at 3f8, errno -16".

Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527173] speakup_ltlk: module is
from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527351] synth probe
Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527353] Ports not available,
trying to steal them
Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527357] Trying to free nonexistent
resource <00000000000003f8-00000000000003ff>
Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527358] Unable to allocate port at
3f8, errno -16
Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527360] LiteTalk: not found
Mar 4 13:35:03 vv507k kernel: [ 138.527361] ltlk: device probe failed
Samuel Thibault
2016-03-04 23:19:14 UTC
Hello,
Is your patch supposed to take the place of that lame patch I used to post
that just commented out the return code?
No. Both are needed.
I edited /default/grub and added"
8250.nr_uarts=0".
That, however, is supposed to save having to use the lame patch: it just
disables the 8250 driver which conflicts with speakup.
Then I compiled a kernel with your patch and installed it. But saying "modprobe speakup_ltlk" doesn't work and generates error messages in the syslog. I've cut/pasted them below. I am guessing the key line is the one that says, " Unable to allocate port at 3f8, errno -16".
That's odd. Are you sure the 8250.nr_uarts=0 parameter is effective?
Check in /proc/cmdline and you can also check in /proc/ioports what
driver is keeping them busy.

Samuel
John G Heim
2016-03-10 22:43:21 UTC
I wrote a quick perl script to scan /proc/ioports for an address. It
shows that the port 0x3f8 is within the range covered by this line from
/proc/ioports:

0000-0cf7 : PCI Bus 0000:00

PS: I put the script where anyone can download it,
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/ioportscan. By default it scans
for 0x3f8 but you cn pass any hex number as a parameter.
Hello,
John G. Heim; ***@math.wisc.edu; sip://***@sip.linphone.org
Samuel Thibault
2016-03-10 23:05:59 UTC
I wrote a quick perl script to scan /proc/ioports for an address. It shows
that the port 0x3f8 is within the range covered by this line from
0000-0cf7 : PCI Bus 0000:00
Uh, ok. So the stealing can definitely not work here, commenting the
return line is the only option.

Samuel
John G Heim
2016-03-11 18:59:40 UTC
Maybe my time would be better spent learning how to write
a linux device driver for USB.
Well, the drivers do exist already. What lacks so far is the connection
between them and the speakup.
Does speakup really have to do anything to talk to a USB synth? I've
written udev rules to create device files for USB devices. When you plug
in a USB device, the kernel sees it and creates a device file. You can
watch the messages scroll by if you tail the syslog while plugging in
the USB device. Then you can take the identification strings and write a
udev rule to create another device file for that device. People do this
all the time so that every time they plug their thumb drive in, it gets
a name like /dev/thumb. What if I wrote a udev rule to create a
/dev/speakup_ltlk and fooled speakup into thinking it had successfully
loaded the speakup_ltlk module?
Samuel Thibault
2016-03-11 19:08:41 UTC
Post by John G Heim
Maybe my time would be better spent learning how to write
a linux device driver for USB.
Well, the drivers do exist already. What lacks so far is the connection
between them and the speakup.
Does speakup really have to do anything to talk to a USB synth?
Yes, it needs to be able to talk with the USB serial driver.

That's a recurring TODO item: see with kernel serial maintainers how
to do that properly. As I said before in another thread, an outreachy
intern is currently having a look.

Samuel
John G Heim
2016-03-11 20:05:54 UTC
I wrote a udev rule to create a symlink to the device assigned to my
tripletalk USB. But echoing a string doesn't make the synth speak the
string like it does with the serial port. It generates a write error
message. It's strange because the device file the kernel creates is a
writable character special file.

The udev system isn't going to recognize a Tripletalk speech synth. It
must be loading some generic device driver and even though the file has
read/write permissions, you can't actually write to it.
Chris Brannon
2016-03-11 22:17:49 UTC
Post by John G Heim
The udev system isn't going to recognize a Tripletalk speech synth. It
must be loading some generic device driver and even though the file
has read/write permissions, you can't actually write to it.
The kernel provides a device node for each of your USB devices, but you
aren't really supposed to interact with those using the standard Unix
utilities. They're used by libusb, which makes it possible to drive
USB devices directly from user space. For instance, sane's USB scanner
drivers use libusb, and libusb communicates with the kernel via device nodes
under /dev/bus/usb. I don't know much more about how libusb works
internally. My understanding is kind of sketchy.

So what I'm saying is that those device nodes are only of interest if
you wanted to write a user-space programm using libusb to directly
interact with the TripleTalk.

-- Chris
John G. Heim
2016-03-12 17:33:48 UTC
Post by Chris Brannon
The kernel provides a device node for each of your USB devices, but
you aren't really supposed to interact with those using the standard
Unix utilities. They're used by libusb, which makes it possible to
drive USB devices directly from user space. For instance, sane's USB
scanner drivers use libusb,
Do you know if the kernel uses a different system to interact with USB
devices during boot? For example, during boot, the system knows that you
have a USB keyboard.
Chris Brannon
2016-03-12 18:19:34 UTC
Post by John G. Heim
Do you know if the kernel uses a different system to interact with USB
devices during boot? For example, during boot, the system knows that
you have a USB keyboard.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's any special method
for interacting with USB devices at boot time. A good deal of code
needs to be loaded and running before Linux can communicate with USB
devices.

-- Chris

c***@ccs.covici.com

***@ccs.covici.com