strange possibly Speakup-related Xorg problem
Igor Gueths
2015-11-07 21:51:13 UTC
Hi all,
recently I got around to attempting to start X again after not having run it for
a while, and am finding that every time I do so a couple of things happn. First
I get an XF86OpenError permission denied when opening <insert console here>.
After chmod 777 to work around that problem, I can startx everything
successfully, even hear Orca speaking; however, by this point I completely lose
control of the physical keyboard, after which point aside from a reboot my only
recourse is to SSH in and killall X.

Any ideas as to what could have borked here? Nothing appears amiss in
Xorg.0.log. Perhaps Speakup is not relinquishing control of the keyboard in
conjunction with the TTY layer as it has in prior versions?
dpkg -l: ii xserver-xorg 1:7.7+12
amd64
ii linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64 4.2.5-1
amd64
Thanks!
--
Igor
believed to be clean.
Igor Gueths
2015-11-07 21:58:54 UTC
Forgot to include display driver info:
ii nvidia-kernel-4.2.0-1-amd64 340.93+1+b1+5+4.2.3-2
amd64 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 4.2.0-1-amd64
ii nvidia-kernel-amd64 340.93+4.2.0+1+b1
amd64 NVIDIA kernel module for Linux (amd64 flavor)
ii nvidia-kernel-common 20151021+1
amd64 NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii nvidia-kernel-dkms 340.93-6
believed to be clean.
Igor Gueths
2015-11-07 22:32:51 UTC
Apologies for the spam, for the record I figured out what happened. Apparently,
when Xorg-1.16 was released it came with a new "rootless" feature, which with
the help of System-logind X is started on the terminal at which a login took
place. This also means that running $ screen and then startx breaks this process
big time, as I discovered a bit ago. Forum thread:

Hope this helps someone else who may or may not run into this in future.