First post, re vm / speakup / debian?
Terry D. Cudney
2017-06-17 23:38:41 UTC
Hi all,

Been lurking on this list for a long time, so here comes a question:

Kirk tells me that some of you are using virtual machines with speakup.

Which vm works best? kvm/qemu? vmware? virtualbox? other?

Target system is debian, on a asus laptop i7 64-bit, 8GB ram 1TB hdd.

I have need to run windows 10, currently dual-booting with uefi/gpt, but want t+o run in a vm on this system.

Also, curious about possibility of running android development in the same vm environment.

Any suggestions/observations/experiences are very welcome.

TIA,

--terry
--
Name: Terry D. Cudney
Phone: 289-488-4882 ext 1
E-mail: ***@cudneys.ca
Gregory Nowak
2017-06-18 20:56:10 UTC
I'm running the same debian 7 guest on both a windows host and a
devuan 1 host, not at the same time of course. The devuan host is running xfce, and I find myself
managing the guest from the GUI mostly. The GUI is qt-based, so the
accessibility is not what it would probably be if it was gtk-based,
but it is still useable. Also, everything that can be done from the
GUI on virtualbox can also be done through the command line.

As for the guest itself, it's very much as if it were the host. Some
usb devices passed through to the guest don't handle as fast as they
would on bare metal, but that's about it. If you have more specific
questions, I'll try to answer them.

Greg
Post by Terry D. Cudney
Hi all,
Kirk tells me that some of you are using virtual machines with speakup.
Which vm works best? kvm/qemu? vmware? virtualbox? other?
Target system is debian, on a asus laptop i7 64-bit, 8GB ram 1TB hdd.
I have need to run windows 10, currently dual-booting with uefi/gpt, but want t+o run in a vm on this system.
Also, curious about possibility of running android development in the same vm environment.
Any suggestions/observations/experiences are very welcome.
TIA,
--terry
--
Name: Terry D. Cudney
Phone: 289-488-4882 ext 1
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Austin Seraphin
2017-06-19 18:38:34 UTC
Linux uses the Orca screen reader for graphical interfaces, and they
have their own mailing list as well. I use it with the Mate desktop and
love it. Speakup works as a fallback if the GUI crashes.
Hi greg,
thanks for your response.
I have debian 8, a fresh install on this laptop, with gnome. I don't think that should make much difference though.
1) why did you choose the xfce desktop?
2) I have little experience with gui's in debian, everything has been speakup/cli. What screen review package do you use in a qt-based desktop?
3) why the virtualbox vm, over vmware/kvm/etc?
4) have you run a windows guest on the debian host? any caveats there?
Thanks for any pointers/suggestions you can offer.
--terry
--> I'm running the same debian 7 guest on both a windows host and a
--> devuan 1 host, not at the same time of course. The devuan host is running xfce, and I find myself
--> managing the guest from the GUI mostly. The GUI is qt-based, so the
--> accessibility is not what it would probably be if it was gtk-based,
--> but it is still useable. Also, everything that can be done from the
--> GUI on virtualbox can also be done through the command line.
-->
--> As for the guest itself, it's very much as if it were the host. Some
--> usb devices passed through to the guest don't handle as fast as they
--> would on bare metal, but that's about it. If you have more specific
--> questions, I'll try to answer them.
-->
--> Greg
-->
-->
--> > Hi all,
--> >
--> >
--> > Kirk tells me that some of you are using virtual machines with speakup.
--> >
--> > Which vm works best? kvm/qemu? vmware? virtualbox? other?
--> >
--> > Target system is debian, on a asus laptop i7 64-bit, 8GB ram 1TB hdd.
--> >
--> > I have need to run windows 10, currently dual-booting with uefi/gpt, but want t+o run in a vm on this system.
--> >
--> > Also, curious about possibility of running android development in the same vm environment.
--> >
--> > Any suggestions/observations/experiences are very welcome.
--> >
--> > TIA,
--> >
--> > --terry
--> >
--> > --
--> > Name: Terry D. Cudney
--> > Phone: 289-488-4882 ext 1
--> > _______________________________________________
--> > Speakup mailing list
--> > http://linux-speakup.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/speakup
-->
--> --
--> web site: http://www.gregn.net
--> gpg public key: http://www.gregn.net/pubkey.asc
--> skype: gregn1
--> (authorization required, add me to your contacts list first)
--> If we haven't been in touch before, e-mail me before adding me to your contacts.
-->
--> --
--> _______________________________________________
Austin Seraphin
2017-06-19 19:29:07 UTC
QT5 has apparently gotten better, but I haven't tried a QT desktop yet.
Thanks, Austin,
I have used orca a bit, but only in gnome (gtk-based).
I'm not sure though; does orca work in a qt-based desktop?
--terry
[...]
--> > -->
--> > --> As for the guest itself, it's very much as if it were the host. Some
--> > --> usb devices passed through to the guest don't handle as fast as they
--> > --> would on bare metal, but that's about it. If you have more specific
--> > --> questions, I'll try to answer them.
--> > -->
--> > --> Greg
--> > -->
--> > -->
--> > --> > Hi all,
--> > --> >
--> > --> >
[...]
--> > --> > --
--> > --> > Name: Terry D. Cudney
--> > --> > Phone: 289-488-4882 ext 1
--> > --> > _______________________________________________
--> > --> > Speakup mailing list
--> > --> > http://linux-speakup.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/speakup
--> > -->
--> > --> --
--> > --> _______________________________________________
Gregory Nowak
2017-06-20 02:10:23 UTC
1) why did you choose the xfce desktop?
Because that is the default desktop in devuan. I would have gone with
mate, except that depends on pulseaudio, which I don't want. Playing
with mate in a virtual machine to see if it is still useable once
pulseaudio is disabled is on my to-do list, but I haven't gotten there
yet. My problem with xfce is that thunar isn't totally
accessible. That can be replaced with tuxcmd for example, but that
still leaves me with a useless desktop, because I get no feedback when
moving between icons.
2) I have little experience with gui's in debian, everything has been speakup/cli. What screen review package do you use in a qt-based desktop?
I don't use a qt-based desktop, xfce and mate are based on
gtk2. However, qt applications like virtualbox do seem to be mostly
useable with orca.
3) why the virtualbox vm, over vmware/kvm/etc?
Because that's what I started out with since the 1.4.0 release, which I believe
was in 2006. KVM wasn't available back then as far as I recall. If it
was, then I wasn't aware of it, only of qemu. I do remember trying
qemu, and not liking something about it, but I don't remember what
that was anymore. I had no reason so far to switch away from
virtualbox, and so that's what I continue to use. I have briefly tried
kvm just to see what it's like. As for vmware, back in 2006 it was a
commercial product from what I recall, and wasn't open source.
4) have you run a windows guest on the debian host? any caveats there?
I haven't done so recently, but have run windows 7 a few years ago
with no issues that I can recall.

Greg