Installing Debian with Espeakup
Alonzo Cuellar
2016-01-04 09:19:37 UTC
Hello,
My brother wanted me to try Debian on his laptop. The installer boots and I
press "s" for software speech. The installer brings up a text installer,
but no speech. I tried this on a DVD image of Jessie and a net install of
testing. The net install of testing was yesterday's image. My question is
how can you choose card 1 so I can hear Espeakup? You'd have to setup
/etc/asond.conf, but does the Debian installer have a way of doing this? Or
can I immidiately activate it some how with amixer?

Alonzo

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com
Samuel Thibault
2016-01-15 00:03:08 UTC
Hello,
My question is how can you choose card 1 so I can hear Espeakup?
Mmm, that's an expected issue. We have not implemented anything about
that.
You'd have to setup /etc/asond.conf,
Or just setting an ALSA_CARD environment variable.

The question is rather: how to let the user request that? I don't think
adding another boot menu item would be nice. Adding a shortcut after
boot is not really straightforward, and the user would still have to
know that there are several sound cards and that the shortcut should
be used to switch between cards. Making espeakup always talk on each
and every device is not really an option either. Maybe we could make
the installer, when several cards are detected, talk "To use this sound
card, press 0" on card 0, then talk "To use this sound card, press 1" on
card 1, etc., what do people think?

Samuel
Marcel Oats
2016-01-15 01:41:38 UTC
Hi, perhaps your suggestion of offering a menu of cards, "to speak on this card, press 0" and so forth would work.
Of course then you may come across the odd issue of when a card is simply not detected, though how often does that happen?

Also, we could go back to the idea that is on the Arch live CD/USB, of having a recorded prompt played on all cards simultaneously, and the user is able to press enter when they hear a beep on the card they wish to use.

Marcel

Al Sten-Clanton
2016-01-15 02:36:13 UTC
""Maybe we could make
the installer, when several cards are detected, talk "To use this sound
card, press 0" on card 0, then talk "To use this sound card, press 1" on
card 1, etc., what do people think?"

That sounds like a good idea. I think the Arch DVD does something like
that when there's more than one sound card.

Al
Hello,
Gregory Nowak
2016-01-15 04:42:52 UTC
Post by Samuel Thibault
Maybe we could make
the installer, when several cards are detected, talk "To use this sound
card, press 0" on card 0, then talk "To use this sound card, press 1" on
card 1, etc., what do people think?
Sounds good to me.

Greg
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Alonzo cuellar
2016-01-15 13:20:02 UTC
this sounds good to me.
I had wanted to try debian on a recent computer of mine. However, I
wasn't able to since i was unable to select the sound card to install
with espeakup. If this can be implemented it would help since most
computers now a days have the first device for hdmi/spdif input and the
second device (card 1) is the computers internal sound card.

Alonzo
Greg
Glenn
2016-01-16 02:21:05 UTC
I think that sounds like a great add-in for the sound card selection.
I would add that I think it would be better to start with the number one,
since that is usually the easiest place to start on the number row.
Also, you could offer zero to repeat the choices, in case someone missed the
choices.
Glenn

Jude DaShiell
2016-01-15 14:04:53 UTC
http://talkingarch.tk/ handles the problem this way. First after enough
software boots to do it, a sound card quantity test is done. If the
number is more than 1, a dialog comes up where a user gets told all
sound cards are being tested and when the user hears a beep on the
desired sound card they have 10 seconds to hit a key to select that
card. If no choice is made, then the first available sound card gets
used by default. What I need to do with talkingarch is to test this
with a very good pair of usb speakers I have and install talkingarch
that way and then see if udev overrides my choice on first boot after
that.