Speakup on the newest Gentoo minimal cd doesn't works with any boot parameters
John Covici
2016-12-18 11:59:10 UTC
What I do is wait till its booted up, type modprobe speakup_soft
and then type espeakup
and that has worked for me. It has some problems, but you do get
speech.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 06:05:13 -0500,
Hello Speakup users,
I want to instal Gentoo with my Mac, but I need a screenreader to install it. I didn't get brltty working and speakup isn't working to. I tried all speakup boot parameters (speakup.synth=synth) I don't know what to do now.
I had talking arch live cd on a disk but my dvd device isn't working anymore so I have the gentoo minimal cd on my stick because dd can't write big files on any stick here. But there on talking arch I had to select the right soundcart - it was not the first avaylable - maybe I have to select the right soundcart on gentoo too? But how?
Does anibody has got an idea?
Best regards,
charaya
---------
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
Charaya
2016-12-18 12:52:36 UTC
Hello John,
Is the _ where the / is? I don't know the usa keyboard layout. If thats corect, its still not speaking.
Thank you for the idea!
Regards,
charaya

---------
John Covici

***@ccs.covici.com
Jude DaShiell
2016-12-18 15:04:41 UTC
You probably picked one of the most complex distributions to install for
accessibility. External DVD drives are not that expensive any longer.
Aside from that, you need to find out all of the addresses for all of
your sound cards on that mac. There's a /proc subdirectory in Linux for
this and maybe on the mac too. The Linux kernel has provisions by means
of boot parameters for selecting your sound card but you'll need its
address. Wait, have you tried lsusb -v|less yet? If you have usb
speakers plugged in on talkingarch instance you can get useful
information from that command I think.
The problem you're going to have with gentoo will be in kernel building
since speakup isn't installed in the kernel. I got that far on
installation a couple times but got no further. You may have additional
problems after kernel building I know nothing about since I never got
past that step. The other problem with gentoo is handbook on internet
documentation is several years out of date so if there are easier ways
to get an accessible install of gentoo install they don't appear in that
handbook. Good luck, you're going to need it.
Techswing33
2016-12-19 01:53:00 UTC
Hello,

Chiming in on this late I'd also like to get a gentoo system going on
a virtual machine under Vmware. Kernel is also stopping me, is there a
fix?

Thanks.
Dave.
So maybe go through the handbook and skip that chapter on building your
own kernel and the kernel you are either left with or install from
sources will have speakup in it? That ought to make installaing gentoo
considerably easier if true.
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 14:45:01
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: Speakup on the newest Gentoo minimal cd doesn't works with
any
boot parameters
Depending on what kernel you build, speakup is certainly in gentoo. I
am not sure about the default kernel, but gentoo-sources does have
it. I have been using it for 5 years. The handbook is more or less
still good, I installed one on a vm on the mac a few months ago.
John Covici
2016-12-19 02:18:21 UTC
Just emerge some version of sys-kernels/gentoo-sources maybe the
latest 4.4 or 4.8 series. Then follow the instructions to build the
kernel as specified in the handbook.

***@ccs.covici.com
Charaya
2016-12-21 07:45:42 UTC
Thank you for the information!
I couldn't fix the problem but i wrote the talking arch iso on an other system on a usb device so i can install gentoo now.
Thanks for the hint with the kernel version!

---------