Latest Speakup won't compile
Tony Baechler
2017-06-25 16:49:44 UTC
I've tried compiling with kernels 4.11.6 from Debian and 4.11.7 from
kernel.org. It always stops on speakup_soft with this error:

drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.c: In function 'softsynthx_read':
drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.c:227:7: error: implicit declaration of
function 'signal_pending' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
if (signal_pending(current)) {
^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[5]: *** [drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [drivers/staging/speakup] Error 2
make[3]: *** [drivers/staging] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[1]: *** [bindeb-pkg] Error 2
make: *** [bindeb-pkg] Error 2

Please fix. Thanks very much!
Okash Khawaja
2017-06-25 17:15:41 UTC
Post by Tony Baechler
I've tried compiling with kernels 4.11.6 from Debian and 4.11.7 from
drivers/staging/speakup/speakup_soft.c:227:7: error: implicit declaration of
function 'signal_pending' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
if (signal_pending(current)) {
Is this from speakup-decext repo on github? This fails because location
of signal_pending changed from include/linux/sched.h in 4.10 to
include/linux/sched/signal.h in 4.11. So if you are compiling with 4.11
then in speakup_soft.c, please replace #include <linux/sched.h> with
#include <linux/sched/signal.h>.

Thanks,
Okash
Jude DaShiell
2017-06-25 17:38:37 UTC
If a kernel version check could be done inside a Makefile the check
could be wrapped around the #include lines and automatically choose the
correct include file path to use. Not having written Makefiles yet I
don't even know if make syntax will even support such a check.
Okash Khawaja
2017-06-26 09:11:10 UTC
If a kernel version check could be done inside a Makefile the check could be
wrapped around the #include lines and automatically choose the correct
include file path to use. Not having written Makefiles yet I don't even
know if make syntax will even support such a check.
Yes, that would be nice. However, this is a make shift arrangement until
the core set of patches - ones which migrate synths to tty - get
mainlined. That might be 4.13.x.

Thanks,
Okash