speakup USB support will be in linux 3.13
Samuel Thibault
2017-07-11 08:59:24 UTC
Hello,

Just to let people know: Okash's work on USB support is currently in the
main Linux tree, which means it will be in Linux 3.13.

I'm then realizing: among synthesizers which have native USB plugs (i.e.
don't need an external converter), are there some which have specific
USB IDs?

Put another way: owners of synthesizers with native USB plugs, could you
send us the output of lsusb? (ideally, one with the synth plugged, and
another with the synth unplugged, so we easily see what line changes).

Samuel
Janina Sajka
2017-07-11 12:39:10 UTC
Hi, Samuel:

This is exciting news, but a quick clarification, please ...

I presume you mean the 4.13 kernel? Not 3.13?

Second, do you want that output once 4.13 is released? Or is it useful
now, i.e. I'm currently on a 4.11 kernel.

Lastly, where shall we send output? I presume it would be easiest to
parse the output if attached, rather than as inline. And, I wonder
whether we want that on list?

My thought was to attach two text files. One with, and without the
synth.

Thanks very much to you and everyone who has worked on this. I'm very
delighted and looking forward to using a hardware synth again.

Janina
Post by Samuel Thibault
Hello,
Just to let people know: Okash's work on USB support is currently in the
main Linux tree, which means it will be in Linux 3.13.
I'm then realizing: among synthesizers which have native USB plugs (i.e.
don't need an external converter), are there some which have specific
USB IDs?
Put another way: owners of synthesizers with native USB plugs, could you
send us the output of lsusb? (ideally, one with the synth plugged, and
another with the synth unplugged, so we easily see what line changes).
Samuel
Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
sip:***@asterisk.rednote.net
Email: ***@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Samuel Thibault
2017-07-11 12:52:05 UTC
Hello Janina,
Post by Janina Sajka
I presume you mean the 4.13 kernel? Not 3.13?
Ergl, sure :)
Post by Janina Sajka
Second, do you want that output once 4.13 is released?
No, it's independent from the kernel version, so people can send it
already :)
Post by Janina Sajka
Lastly, where shall we send output? I presume it would be easiest to
parse the output if attached, rather than as inline.
The output is just at most a dozen lines, and I don't expect too many
answers, which we'll probably have to handle by hand anyway, so you can
also just paste it in the mail.
Post by Janina Sajka
And, I wonder whether we want that on list?
My thought was to attach two text files. One with, and without the
synth.
That's probably the nicest for us to handle.

Samuel
Janina Sajka
2017-09-12 17:47:37 UTC
Samuel, All:

As of this morning I'm running a 4.13.1 Linux kernel. But, I can't get
any speech from speakup_ltlk. I wonder what I might be doing wrong?

Or, did I misunderstand and the USB Tripletalk support isn't in this
kernel yet?

Am I using the wrong driver?

To be sure I'm not goofing something up, I login over ssh as root, stop
espeakup, and rmmod speakup_soft and speakup, then mod probe
speakup_ltlk.

But, the result is just silence. So, looking for guidance.

Janina

Samuel Thibault
2017-09-12 17:58:57 UTC
Hello,
Post by Janina Sajka
Or, did I misunderstand and the USB Tripletalk support isn't in this
kernel yet?
Perhaps you missed that there's no auto-configuration yet.
Post by Janina Sajka
To be sure I'm not goofing something up, I login over ssh as root, stop
espeakup, and rmmod speakup_soft and speakup, then mod probe
speakup_ltlk.
You also need to set the dev=ttyUSB0 parameter for the speakup_ltlk
driver.

Samuel
Okash Khawaja

Janina Sajka
2017-09-15 12:05:43 UTC
Thanks, Okash. Looks like I'll need to wait on you, because my attempts
to load by hand are failing ...

***@concerto 07:55:10 ~#modprobe speakup_ltlk dev=ttyUSB0
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'speakup_ltlk': No such device

I get this even after loading usbserial, and there is indeed no
/dev/ttyUSB0.

If there's something else I should try by hand, I'm ready to give it a
try.

Janina
Post by Okash Khawaja
Hi,
Just to update, I've been out of country since last week. Will be back this
weekend so will be able to continue work on USB autoload then.
Cheers,
Okash

Samuel Thibault
2017-09-15 15:35:24 UTC
Hello,
Post by Janina Sajka
I get this even after loading usbserial, and there is indeed no
/dev/ttyUSB0.
Ah. Could you run

ls /dev/tty*

so perhaps some yet-unknown device would show up. Also,

lsusb -v

would be useful.

Samuel
Zachary Kline
2017-09-15 23:19:58 UTC
Hey,

I just wanted to chime in to say that I got this working with my DecTalk USB. It seems to behave as I’d expect, minus an initial “Command error in Command,” which seems to be DecTalk specific.

Thanks for all the work, Samuel et al.
Zack.
Janina Sajka
2017-09-16 09:48:07 UTC

OK, but I'm sending the output of 'lsusb -v' separately, as it made an
inline reply too big for the list.
Post by Samuel Thibault
Hello,
Post by Janina Sajka
I get this even after loading usbserial, and there is indeed no
/dev/ttyUSB0.
Ah. Could you run
ls /dev/tty*
***@concerto 12:56:11 ~#\ls /dev/tty*
/dev/tty /dev/tty12 /dev/tty17 /dev/tty21 /dev/tty26 /dev/tty30
/dev/tty35 /dev/tty4 /dev/tty44 /dev/tty49 /dev/tty53 /dev/tty58
/dev/tty62 /dev/ttyACM0
/dev/tty0 /dev/tty13 /dev/tty18 /dev/tty22 /dev/tty27 /dev/tty31
/dev/tty36 /dev/tty40 /dev/tty45 /dev/tty5 /dev/tty54 /dev/tty59
/dev/tty63 /dev/ttyS0
/dev/tty1 /dev/tty14 /dev/tty19 /dev/tty23 /dev/tty28 /dev/tty32
/dev/tty37 /dev/tty41 /dev/tty46 /dev/tty50 /dev/tty55 /dev/tty6
/dev/tty7 /dev/ttyS1
/dev/tty10 /dev/tty15 /dev/tty2 /dev/tty24 /dev/tty29 /dev/tty33
/dev/tty38 /dev/tty42 /dev/tty47 /dev/tty51 /dev/tty56 /dev/tty60
/dev/tty8 /dev/ttyS2
/dev/tty11 /dev/tty16 /dev/tty20 /dev/tty25 /dev/tty3 /dev/tty34
/dev/tty39 /dev/tty43 /dev/tty48 /dev/tty52 /dev/tty57 /dev/tty61
/dev/tty9 /dev/ttyS3
Post by Samuel Thibault
so perhaps some yet-unknown device would show up. Also,
lsusb -v
Will send this as an attachment separately.

PS: modinfo speakup_ltlk does show:

parm: ser:Set the serial port for the synthesizer (0-based). (int)
parm: dev:Set the device e.g. ttyUSB0, for the synthesizer. (charp)
parm: start:Start the synthesizer once it is loaded. (short)

Samuel Thibault
2017-09-16 10:29:56 UTC
Post by Janina Sajka
OK, but I'm sending the output of 'lsusb -v' separately, as it made an
inline reply too big for the list.
Sure :)
Post by Janina Sajka
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0dd0:1002 Access Solutions Triple Talk Speech Synthesizer
Post by Janina Sajka
idVendor 0x0dd0 Access Solutions
idProduct 0x1002 Triple Talk Speech Synthesizer
iManufacturer 1 Access Solutions
iProduct 2 Triple-Talk USB
Post by Janina Sajka
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
So they provide their own interface instead of the standard serial
interface... I however guess they didn't build their own chip. Do you
perhaps have some technical manual which could tell which chip they
used, so we can teach the linux driver for it how to deal with the
synthesizer? Or perhaps some contact at the manufacturer which could
provide information?
Post by Janina Sajka
parm: ser:Set the serial port for the synthesizer (0-based). (int)
parm: dev:Set the device e.g. ttyUSB0, for the synthesizer. (charp)
parm: start:Start the synthesizer once it is loaded. (short)
So you do have the USB support in speakup. It's just the linux USB
drivers which don't know about the Triple-talk.

Samuel