Speakup While Booting?
Gregory Nowak
2018-06-07 00:13:19 UTC
What Justin is running is an experimental kernel, which almost
certainly has rough edges. If you really want that, it should be
available on kernel.org presumably. Download the source tarball, apply
the
patch Justin
has sent to the list (since it probably isn't committed even in that
version yet), configure and build the kernel. Install the kernel and
modules, update your boot loader probably with update-grub, cross your
fingers and toes, and reboot.

If you don't want an experimental kernel, then whatever is the latest
from kernel.org should work just as well. If you have a kernel expert
around, that person should know what to do with what I just wrote. For
ease of installation and removal, you might want to ask your kernel
expert to build you .deb packages for the kernel you build.

Greg
Last week or so, I may have asked here about boot messages while
speakup-and-the DecTalk are coming up. Well in an interactive boot, reading
from the journal log, here are 4lines dealing with Speakup
Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: speakup: module is from the staging directory,
the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: speakup: module verification failed: signature
and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: input: Speakup as /devices/virtual/input/input3
Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR
10, MINOR 25)
Jun 06 15:18:23 chime kernel: speakup Back again live, in earlier mesages
there were mentions of a new patch, I have a Linux expert here now, how do
we either update or install the latest patches? In Justin's log, you mention
a kernel4.17 well, I just ran a dist-upgrade here in Debian Buster Sid,
still around 4.16.2. Thanks so much in advance
Chime
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Chime Hart
2018-06-07 04:38:56 UTC
Thanks Greg: As I remember you don't have a DecTalk, but is what I pasted in
from boot look normal? I am still trying to hunt down these pitch, volume, and
rate drops which seem to begin just after I hear the DecTalk say
"command error in command" as Speakup loads. Then along the way while arrowing
in review, these drops happen. Thanks in advance
Chime
Gregory Nowak
2018-06-07 17:50:31 UTC
The speakup module not being signed and therefore tainting the
kernel does not at all look normal. If your running kernel was
installed from debian repositories, you shouldn't be getting that
message. Jewd, the kernel module itself isn't signed, package
verification doesn't have anything to do with that, unless there was an
error during kernel installation saying the package couldn't be
verified, and asking if installation should proceed. Chime, whatever
pitch issues you are having will most likely not be solved by
upgrading to a newer kernel. For that to happen, someone who knows
kernel and speakup internals would need to sit down with a dectalk
unit, figure out what's causing the problems you're seeing, and make
the necessary fixes in the code. I'm not a kernel programmer at the
moment, so that someone wouldn't be me.

Greg

Gregory Nowak

Jude DaShiell