Help with running Speakup on Kali Linux
Timothy Breitenfeldt
2018-01-27 07:36:39 UTC
Hi, i recently installed Kali onto an old laptop. I would really like
to just run Kali in console mode and completely ignore the GUI .To do
this, I know I need speakup. I found a couple refferences in the
archives for this mailing list, but I couldn't get it to work with the
instructions given. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get
speakup running on Kali, as well as how to switch from Gnome desktop
to just a console?

Thanks,

TJ Breitenfeldt
Okash Khawaja
2018-01-27 07:58:10 UTC
Hi Timothy,

Welcome to speakup :)

There is http://linux-speakup.org/spkguide.txt which should help.
Basically you need two kernel modules loaded. One is speakup.ko and
the other depends upon which synthesizer you want to use. So for
example for Apollo you'll need speakup_apollo.ko. You can also use
software synth speakup_soft.ko if you don't have a hardware synth. All
supported synths are mentioned in spkguide linked above.

If it's a hardware synth then the two kernel modules is all you need.
If it's speakup_soft.ko then some user-space text-to-speech software
will be required. If you can explain where you're getting stuck then
we can help more :)

Cheers!
Okash

Janina Sajka
2018-01-27 13:23:09 UTC
Okash is correct, but this guidance presumes Kali Linux actually
provides those modules, i.e. the staging kernel modules. Does it? I,
personally, don't know Kali well enough to say without doing some
research.

So, Timothy, perhaps you should tell us how you are accessing your Kali
installation? Are you using Orca in the gui? Even though you intend to
drop the gui eventually? If so, you can open a Gnome-Terminal session
and issue a command like:

locate speakup.ko

If this returns a pointer to the file, you have the staging modules
installed, and Okash's advice is the next step. Or perhaps the step
after you get software speech installed--espeak and then espeakup would
be the easiest path for that.

Lastly, you should probably wait to have Speakup working for you before
eliminating the gui--especially if Orca is your current access. Once you
are ready, though, the process is likely a set of systemctl commands as
most Linux today are system d driven.

hth

Janina

Okash Khawaja writes:
> Hi Timothy,
>
> Welcome to speakup :)
>
> There is http://linux-speakup.org/spkguide.txt which should help.
> Basically you need two kernel modules loaded. One is speakup.ko and
> the other depends upon which synthesizer you want to use. So for
> example for Apollo you'll need speakup_apollo.ko. You can also use
> software synth speakup_soft.ko if you don't have a hardware synth. All
> supported synths are mentioned in spkguide linked above.
>
> If it's a hardware synth then the two kernel modules is all you need.
> If it's speakup_soft.ko then some user-space text-to-speech software
> will be required. If you can explain where you're getting stuck then
> we can help more :)
>
> Cheers!
> Okash
>

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Timothy Breitenfeldt
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, i recently installed Kali onto an old laptop. I would really like
> > to just run Kali in console mode and completely ignore the GUI .To do
> > this, I know I need speakup. I found a couple refferences in the
> > archives for this mailing list, but I couldn't get it to work with the
> > instructions given. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get
> > speakup running on Kali, as well as how to switch from Gnome desktop
> > to just a console?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > TJ Breitenfeldt

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Kirk Reiser
2018-01-27 13:23:46 UTC
To answer the other portion of your query, to move from a gui console
to a text console just type control-alt-f1 or any other of the
function keys from 1 to six. You can learn to kill off gnome and gdm at
a later point if you find you're happy using console mode.

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018, Okash Khawaja wrote:

> Hi Timothy,
>
> Welcome to speakup :)
>
> There is http://linux-speakup.org/spkguide.txt which should help.
> Basically you need two kernel modules loaded. One is speakup.ko and
> the other depends upon which synthesizer you want to use. So for
> example for Apollo you'll need speakup_apollo.ko. You can also use
> software synth speakup_soft.ko if you don't have a hardware synth. All
> supported synths are mentioned in spkguide linked above.
>
> If it's a hardware synth then the two kernel modules is all you need.
> If it's speakup_soft.ko then some user-space text-to-speech software
> will be required. If you can explain where you're getting stuck then
> we can help more :)
>
> Cheers!
> Okash
>

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Timothy Breitenfeldt
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, i recently installed Kali onto an old laptop. I would really like
>> to just run Kali in console mode and completely ignore the GUI .To do
>> this, I know I need speakup. I found a couple refferences in the
>> archives for this mailing list, but I couldn't get it to work with the
>> instructions given. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get
>> speakup running on Kali, as well as how to switch from Gnome desktop
>> to just a console?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> TJ Breitenfeldt

Well that's it then, colour me secure!

Timothy Breitenfeldt
2018-01-27 15:47:12 UTC
Thank you for the replies. I am still fairly new to using Linux, I am
a computer science major and am currently taking a C and unix class
right now. I now feel comfortable enough with the basics to switch to
using only a shell for access. I have played with Linux for a while,
and have always preferred the console over Gnome desktop GUI for
accessibility. I have almost no vision, and am currently using orca.

Here is the link to the post I referred to on getting speakup running on Kali.

http://linux-speakup.org/pipermail/speakup/2015-May/058755.html

I followed all of the instructions here, and saw no change. Speakup
never came up talking at the bootup screen. I tried typing speakup
into the terminal while in gnome, but it didn't recognize the command.

I don't know much about the kernel yet, it is something I will learn
next quarter along with other operating system concepts.

Thank you for the tip on switching to console mode. I would assume
that I can switch back to Gnome using the same shortcut I used to
switched to console mode (ctrl+alt+ 1-6)?

Can someone take a look at this post and see if you can help?

Thanks,

TJ Breitenfeldt

John Covici
2018-01-27 17:14:45 UTC
Probably the way to get back to gnome will be control-alt-f7, since
usually the video display is on the 7th virtual console.

Did you do the locate command suggested in a previous post to see
whether your system has the speakup modules?

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 10:47:12 -0500,
Timothy Breitenfeldt wrote:

> Thank you for the replies. I am still fairly new to using Linux, I am
> a computer science major and am currently taking a C and unix class
> right now. I now feel comfortable enough with the basics to switch to
> using only a shell for access. I have played with Linux for a while,
> and have always preferred the console over Gnome desktop GUI for
> accessibility. I have almost no vision, and am currently using orca.
>
> Here is the link to the post I referred to on getting speakup running on Kali.
>
> http://linux-speakup.org/pipermail/speakup/2015-May/058755.html
>
> I followed all of the instructions here, and saw no change. Speakup
> never came up talking at the bootup screen. I tried typing speakup
> into the terminal while in gnome, but it didn't recognize the command.
>
> I don't know much about the kernel yet, it is something I will learn
> next quarter along with other operating system concepts.
>
> Thank you for the tip on switching to console mode. I would assume
> that I can switch back to Gnome using the same shortcut I used to
> switched to console mode (ctrl+alt+ 1-6)?
>
> Can someone take a look at this post and see if you can help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TJ Breitenfeldt
>
> On 1/27/18, Kirk Reiser <***@reisers.ca> wrote:
> > To answer the other portion of your query, to move from a gui console
> > to a text console just type control-alt-f1 or any other of the
> > function keys from 1 to six. You can learn to kill off gnome and gdm at
> > a later point if you find you're happy using console mode.
> >
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2018, Okash Khawaja wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Timothy,
> >>
> >> Welcome to speakup :)
> >>
> >> There is http://linux-speakup.org/spkguide.txt which should help.
> >> Basically you need two kernel modules loaded. One is speakup.ko and
> >> the other depends upon which synthesizer you want to use. So for
> >> example for Apollo you'll need speakup_apollo.ko. You can also use
> >> software synth speakup_soft.ko if you don't have a hardware synth. All
> >> supported synths are mentioned in spkguide linked above.
> >>
> >> If it's a hardware synth then the two kernel modules is all you need.
> >> If it's speakup_soft.ko then some user-space text-to-speech software
> >> will be required. If you can explain where you're getting stuck then
> >> we can help more :)
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >> Okash

> > --
> > Well that's it then, colour me secure!

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
***@ccs.covici.com
Janina Sajka
2018-01-30 14:12:46 UTC
So, I have to ask, why Kali Linux, specifically? It's strikes me as a
rather oddball choice.

The post you reference below isn't particularly pertinent to running
Speakup, and you still haven't told us whether Kali comes with Speakup,
or whether it's on you to add it into the installation. Once again,
what's the output of:

locate speakup.ko

Suggestion: You may have much more success with a distribution like Arch
which supports Speakup out of the box, and which has a talking
installation available:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TalkingArch

If you go this way you'll only have the console unless you explicitly
install a GUI desktop.

There are other choices, but the above is a good way to get to a
functioning system with minimul fuss.

Janina

Don Raikes
2018-01-30 14:43:04 UTC

Kali is an odd choice for someone just wanting a console-based linux distro. Ubuntu server is another good choice.

If, however you are looking for security tools then kali is a good choice. The kali installer is accessible since it is based on the debian talking installer. I haven't checked lately but if I remember right speakup does not come pre-installed in kali, although I hope to be working on a custom kali version that will be more accessible (when I have a few minutes).

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.archlinux.org_index.php_TalkingArch&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=EiMTZr4C8e9d2ErmbeyYCptTaFYi0HdGewnOWTnmf4w&s=JUxYZ5Z1WwEmJvd1TAXM8buhPH2soZMlw95_z0Owg2o&e=

--

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__a11y.org&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=EiMTZr4C8e9d2ErmbeyYCptTaFYi0HdGewnOWTnmf4w&s=PXVu7U_kanhN-aKcPDscAHyyaf7GhLU-wRpu7umHkEM&e=

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.w3.org_wai_apa&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=EiMTZr4C8e9d2ErmbeyYCptTaFYi0HdGewnOWTnmf4w&s=BGkV5BqduYuktvO4jol1R-9R9DWYFbBP-C4fHDOgiPE&e=

Timothy Breitenfeldt
2018-01-30 15:23:18 UTC
Hi, my apologies for not being clear in my last post. I am using Kali
because I want to learn about the security tools Kali has. I will keep
in mind that arch is a better option for this though.

The output of
locate speakup.ko

/lib/modules/4.12.0-kali1-amd66/kernel/drivers/staging/speakup /speakup.ko

For now, I am just looking to get eSpeak working on it, my goal is to
install voxin, which is what I am using for orca right now.
Kali does have built in support for a talking installer using speakup.
I believe Kali is very similar to Debian, if that helps at all.

TJ Breitenfeldt

Don Raikes
2018-01-30 15:38:03 UTC
Tim,

Kali is actually a debian derrative. I am not certain that the espeak packages are installed or that speech dispatcher is installed/configured on kali.

Don Raikes
2018-01-30 16:00:16 UTC
Tim,

A lot of kali's tools need to be run from the GUI, My personal preference is to use the mate desktop but that is because I got started in Linux under the old gnome 2 interface and haven't gotten used to the new unity/gnome3 interface.

Unfortunately when I installed kali into a vm I couldn't get mate with orca to work, so I am trying to debug that problem.

Timothy Breitenfeldt
2018-01-30 16:12:32 UTC
That is good to know. I was afraid that a lot of the tools were not
command line based. Oh well. perhaps I will just set up an arch linux
vm and play with that.

I would still like to learn how to setup speakup, but Kali is probably
not the best to do that with.

Thanks for all of the replies,

Zachary Kline
2018-01-30 16:56:38 UTC
From personal experience, ArchLinux is just about as good a command-line environment as you’re likely to get. The TalkingArch CD works very well for installing, and you’re left with a setup which is minimal and easy to learn from.
I highly recommend you switch to trying to mess with that.

Janina Sajka
2018-01-31 15:14:40 UTC
I would further suggest that whatever gui-based security tools Kali
provides may, or may not be accessible to use.

Regardless, they're all going to drive configurations you can access
from the console. A short, not necessarily comprehensive list off the
top of my head would include:

selinux and it's settings
iptables and ip6tables
journalctl (for log access)

Work the above with grep and maybe awk, and you'll be a power user
before long regardless of what some gui tool might, or might not do.
You'll be doing more, actually.

So, the notion to get Speakup working on the console is absolutely the
right notion. If you have a braille display you can add into the mix,
absolutely check out brltty. The two would make a highly persuasive
combination, and you a security expert if you stick to it and read the
source texts.

What you will NOT have is data visualization. For that I'm afraid the
solutions are a bit more expirimental, though there is sonification that
might help. How to do that on Linux, I don't know, but I think I know
who to send you to to ask. So, speak up, as it were! <grin>

Just my suggestion.

Janina

Zachary Kline writes:
> >From personal experience, ArchLinux is just about as good a command-line environment as you’re likely to get. The TalkingArch CD works very well for installing, and you’re left with a setup which is minimal and easy to learn from.
> I highly recommend you switch to trying to mess with that.
>
> > On Jan 30, 2018, at 8:12 AM, Timothy Breitenfeldt <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That is good to know. I was afraid that a lot of the tools were not
> > command line based. Oh well. perhaps I will just set up an arch linux
> > vm and play with that.
> >
> > I would still like to learn how to setup speakup, but Kali is probably
> > not the best to do that with.
> >
> > Thanks for all of the replies,
> >
> > TJ Breitenfeldt
> >
> > On 1/30/18, Don Raikes <***@oracle.com> wrote:
> >> Tim,
> >>
> >> A lot of kali's tools need to be run from the GUI, My personal preference is
> >> to use the mate desktop but that is because I got started in Linux under the
> >> old gnome 2 interface and haven't gotten used to the new unity/gnome3
> >> interface.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately when I installed kali into a vm I couldn't get mate with orca
> >> to work, so I am trying to debug that problem.

... Trimmed to meet the list's reqs ...

Don Raikes
2018-01-31 16:41:48 UTC
Another option and one which I have used for learning the console-based kali tools and to get familiar with Linux in general would be to run kali in a docker container. If you use jaws or nvda on windows, you can run a kalilinux docker container and interact with it using the windows screenreader.

I know that takes things like Speakup and brltty out of the mix, but it is a quick and dirty solution.

Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__a11y.org&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=wylHmyi3t20HT5HOCW9f3_t2qU1up5TLjM9-u5kv9Ow&s=CoUZu05INmmJ-VvCt978ozYtqk71txhTLc_WQDf0XUs&e=

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.w3.org_wai_apa&d=DwIGaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RSYNyNFr7Oj1BRE0qW_8pVA2z0qhUeWtOTBuXmZp9uE&m=wylHmyi3t20HT5HOCW9f3_t2qU1up5TLjM9-u5kv9Ow&s=PUVUp8CIk2PO8jidituoaDV_177cwY5_75vYNpiSeYo&e=

Glenn At Home
2018-02-01 01:45:31 UTC
Does anyone know which Linux Microsoft is running in the command shell in
Windows 10?
I wonder if the Windows screenreader works like it does in a regular windows
command shell, or if SpeakUp needs to be installed.
Glenn

Justin Skists
2018-02-01 09:08:36 UTC
> Does anyone know which Linux Microsoft is running in the command shell in
> Windows 10?

It's generally Ubuntu (userspace only) by default, but I believe that
you can set it up with others (SuSE, etc).

> I wonder if the Windows screenreader works like it does in a regular windows
> command shell, or if SpeakUp needs to be installed.

The speakup kernel driver won't work, as the Bash on Windows doesn't
use a Linux kernel. But, being a standard windows console, it might
work with Microsoft tools.

Justin.
Janina Sajka
2018-02-01 13:55:22 UTC
Justin Skists writes:
> > I wonder if the Windows screenreader works like it does in a regular windows
> > command shell, or if SpeakUp needs to be installed.
>
> The speakup kernel driver won't work, as the Bash on Windows doesn't
> use a Linux kernel. But, being a standard windows console, it might
> work with Microsoft tools.

It does. I'm alternating between NVDA and Narrator.

Janina

Don Raikes
2018-02-01 16:35:50 UTC
I just checked and the bash on windows shell does not speak with jaws nor does the vi editor.

Zachary Kline
2018-02-01 16:51:40 UTC
I think it depends how you launch it. I have a speaking Ubuntu instance working quite well here. I installed it from the Microsoft Store.

Sent from my iPhone

Jason White
2018-02-02 00:51:47 UTC
It does for me (requires NVDA, or JAWS version 2018 build 1712.10, and Windows 10 version 1709).

Speakup on a real Linux machine is better, of course, but I find myself using Windows Subsystem for Linux frequently these days so that I can switch between it and the GUI desktop without having to switch machines or reboot - and without requiring virtualization.

In my view, there's still nothing more accessible, or even as accessible to screen reader users than the Linux console environment.

Janina Sajka
2018-02-02 14:34:17 UTC
Jason White writes:
... snip ...
> Speakup on a real Linux machine is better, of course, but I find myself using Windows Subsystem for Linux frequently these days so that I can switch between it and the GUI desktop without having to switch machines or reboot - and without requiring virtualization.

Yes, that's the use case behind this. A lot of developers are liking
bash on Windows for just this.

> In my view, there's still nothing more accessible, or even as accessible to screen reader users than the Linux console environment.

Amen to that!

Janina

Janina Sajka
2018-02-02 14:31:10 UTC
Don:

You should update your JAWS to the very latest. I have it on good
authority they've put in specific support.

Janina Sajka
2018-02-01 13:53:30 UTC
You have a choice. Currently, there's only Ubuntu and two Suse variants,
but they've promissed to expand their offerings. See this article:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/11/new-distros-coming-to-bashwsl-via-windows-store/

I've heard rumors of more--like Arch.

I'm currently running Ubuntu in a recently installed Windows 10 on a
2014 era Mac Airbook BootCamp partition. Biggest disappointment so far
is no audio support--it's simply not wired in.

Janina

Zachary Kline
2018-02-01 14:13:05 UTC
Funny you mention this, I just installed it last night myself. My use case is probably a bit less serious than most, and I still have my full Linux system(s), but it’s still a nice thing to have around.

Janina Sajka
2018-01-31 15:11:10 UTC
OK. This isn't bad, actually.

You do have Speakup. That's good.

Your kernel is a bit old, and that could matter especially vis a vis the
recently published Intel exploits which has most of us trying to keep
our kernels very up to date. My arch is currently on 4.14.15, installed
yesterday.

Forget voxin. If you get it and it works, great. But it's ancient code
relying on ancient C++ libraries. Best to focus on espeak.

And, for espeak, see if you have the command:

spd-say

You should be able to hear output from a command like:

spd-say "hello world"

If that works, your next step is to get espeakup installed and wired in.
This is the connector between espeak and Speakup. It's not the same as
how Orca TTS support is wired in.

hth

Janina

PS: Still prefer arch, but you might be almost there with Kali after
all.

Gene Collins
2018-01-27 17:14:17 UTC
Hi timothy. You probably need to load kernel modules. you can type
modprobe speakup_soft
in order to load speakup. then for software speech, you'll need to run
espeakup. You will need to do all of the above as root. Of course you
will need to be sure your soundcard is not muted. Which synthesizer are
you wanting to use?

Gene