Is this a Speakup problem?
Rudy Vener
2018-08-08 18:06:49 UTC
I'm running Speakup on a desktop Vinux 5.1 system. That is, I switched
off the GUI and use screen to provide multiple windows.

Every so often as I type along, I find myself in all caps mode.
I guarantee I'm not hitting the caps lock keys. I moved that key
well away from the main keyboard cluster.,

I don't recall this happening when i used Vocal Eyes on a DOS terminal to
access my linux machine.

I'm wondering if this is a known Speakup problem, and if so
what can be done about it.

Thanks for any insights.
--
Rudy Vener
Website: http://www.rudyvener.com
Jude DaShiell
2018-08-08 22:42:25 UTC
I can't answer your original question, but when you find yourself in all
caps, what happens when you hold the control key down then just tap
shift once then let both keys up? I figured out how to turn capslock
off earlier when this happened to me and did it this way accidentally
until I figured out what I had just done. Hope this helps you.
On Wed, 8
Rudy Vener
2018-08-09 16:40:03 UTC
Nope. Hitting Ctrl-Shift does nothing.
The only way to get myself out of the accidental capslock state is to
hit my capslock key twice.
Hitting it only once leaves me in caps lock.

Very odd.
***************************************
Jude DaShiell
Tom Fowle
2018-08-10 03:29:20 UTC
I was under the impression this is a speakup feature to allow
use of the shift lock as the speakup key. press and hold for speakup
functions, tap twice to toggle real shift lock.

It's caught me too.
Tom Fowle WA6IVG
Janina Sajka
2018-08-10 15:45:19 UTC
Yes, it catches me up from time to time as well.

It is a feature, though one may choose to argue the feature's true
value. I don't recall ever latching intentionally, for instance.

Janina
Post by Jude DaShiell
I can't answer your original question, but when you find yourself in all
caps, what happens when you hold the control key down then just tap
shift once then let both keys up? I figured out how to turn capslock
off earlier when this happened to me and did it this way accidentally
until I figured out what I had just done. Hope this helps you.
Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup: http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Didier Spaier
2018-08-10 22:34:21 UTC
Actually, this is the same behavior as in Orca when in Laptop mode. In
this case the Orca Modifier is CapsLock and to lock or unlock CapsLock
you can type CapsLock twice (or press CapsLock+BackSpace then CapsLock).

For what it's worth, here is a complete list of Speakup key bindings:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/doc/SpeakupAllDefaultKeyAssignments

Didier
Jude DaShiell
Gregory Nowak
2018-08-11 00:15:22 UTC
Speakup go_to will move the speakup review cursor to a given line of
the screen. So, to move the review cursor to the top line of the
screen, you'd press speakup+keypad asterisk. When speakup prompts you
with "go to," you would type "1" and press enter. Perhaps it would be
a good idea if that prompt was changed to "go to line," so it would be
more obvious.

Greg
spk key_kpasterisk = speakup_goto
--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Jude DaShiell
2018-08-11 03:43:23 UTC
Thanks, that actually works. I didn't know what to key in after hitting
that key combination and yes, speakup-goto-line would be a good idea.
On
Janina Sajka
2018-08-13 23:06:36 UTC
I've found the Speakup Go To Line command very helpful when there is a
web page I access using a text browser, like lynx, that has a particular
bit of data starting someway down the page.

I hit refresh followed by the Speakup command and the value I want.
Bingo, I get my data point and go on about my business.

Janina

Rudy Vener
2018-08-10 18:16:02 UTC
OK. Done.
Speakup says nothing.
shift capslock works exactly like capslock alone. It shifts me back and forth
between capslock and lower case mode.
Tapping shift capslock twice leaves me back in lower case mode.

What was supposed to happen?
Post by Jude DaShiell
I almost got that right, try shift+capslock twice and listen to what
speakup says when you do that.
Jude DaShiell
2018-08-10 23:57:03 UTC
It could have been an earlier version of speakup I ran, but the
announcement said capslock off and capslock on when that was toggled the
only problem was it didn't happen. The announcement would be capslock
off but just try typing with regular letters and all were capitalized.