Running speakup on Ubuntu?
Brandon Keith Biggs
2015-07-30 16:56:49 UTC
Hello,
How does one get speakup working on Ubuntu?
I tried logging in, pressing s, pressing super+s, pressing super+alt+s,
typing speakup, typing espeakup, typing sudo apt-get install espeakup,
then typing espeakup, typing speakup, but nothing.
What am I missing?
thanks,
Brandon Keith Biggs <http://www.brandonkeithbiggs.com/>
Tony Baechler
2015-07-31 11:23:11 UTC
I would need a lot more information before I can help you:

1. Are you running this in a VM? I just read about someone else running the
daily build of the Debian Installer under VMWare who had the same issue.
The system installed fine but no speech came up when booting. It could very
likely have to do with the audio emulation. If possible, try with KVM or
VirtualBox. Even better, try on real hardware.

2. Are you saying that Speakup doesn't work in the live CD or after the
installation? I wouldn't be surprised if the live CD doesn't support it,
but the installed system should work. I think I did get it to work on a
live CD once a long time ago. The Super-S etc is for starting Orca, not
Speakup. You ran the right commands to install it. The only other thing I
would try is this:

service espeakup restart

3. What error are you getting? If it's already running and you have no
sound, see #1 above. Are you using a GUI? You didn't say what version of
Ubuntu you're using. There could be a conflict between Pulse and ESpeak.
Try disabling Pulse. I'm not sure how to do that because I don't run it
here. I would also temporarily remove the execute bit from the gdm startup
script to make sure X doesn't start, just in case Orca is a problem.

chmod -x /etc/init.d/gdm*
reboot

Without more information, I can't help further.
Post by Brandon Keith Biggs
Hello,
How does one get speakup working on Ubuntu?
I tried logging in, pressing s, pressing super+s, pressing super+alt+s,
typing speakup, typing espeakup, typing sudo apt-get install espeakup, then
typing espeakup, typing speakup, but nothing.
What am I missing?
thanks,
--
--------------------
Tony Baechler, Baechler Access Technology Services
Phone: 1-619-746-8310 Fax: 1-619-449-9898
Gregory Nowak
2015-07-31 19:46:15 UTC
Looking at the below reply and at the original post, I just realized
there is no mention of
modprobe speakup_soft
anywhere. You'll need to do that as superuser, and that could well be
the missing step. HTH.

Greg
Post by Tony Baechler
[...]
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-***@EU.org
Rob
2015-07-31 20:02:33 UTC
Post by Gregory Nowak
Looking at the below reply and at the original post, I just realized
there is no mention of
modprobe speakup_soft
anywhere. You'll need to do that as superuser, and that could well be
the missing step. HTH.
Doesn't the espeakup package do that? I don't use espeak, but I seem to
recall the startup script checked for the presence of the speakup modules.
Tony Baechler
2015-08-01 09:33:12 UTC
Does the espeakup package not do that automatically? I've never had to do
that with espeakup installed that I can recall, but of course you're right.
I'm used to Debian which does that automatically during the install.
Greg
Brandon Keith Biggs
2015-08-01 06:36:37 UTC
Hello,
service espeakup restart
worked like a charm! Now I am wondering if anyone knows how to get
speakup to read the key echo characters?

thanks,
Tony Baechler
2015-08-01 10:42:07 UTC
What specifically do you mean? Speakup should echo your keystrokes by
default unless they changed it. Look for a file under
/sys/accessibility/speakup with "echo" in the name, like key_echo. Try this:

echo 1 >/sys/accessibility/speakup/key_echo

If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what you're asking.